I can't do a freaking squat

Options
I really wish I could post a video but it's pretty this: I can't squat and go really low without my knees going over my toes and I can't make my knees NOT go over my toes unless I don't squat low enough. It's really frustrating and any advice on how to fix this or get better would be so appreciated.

Replies

• NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What's helping me at the moment is practicing without any weights, and holding the squat at the bottom for a set amount of time.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Knees naturally track over and often past toes; it's natural and perfectly okay. The whole "not letting knees go past toes" bit has been debunked many times over.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Knees naturally track over and often past toes; it's natural and perfectly okay. The whole "not letting knees go past toes" bit has been debunked many times over.

this …

If you can sit down in a chair, you can squat.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to just body weight squat onto a box or bench where you just let your bottom touch and then you push back up with your legs. Then once you can do that with good form and confidence hold a dumbbell across chest and do that.
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Have you tried to just body weight squat onto a box or bench where you just let your bottom touch and then you push back up with your legs. Then once you can do that with good form and confidence hold a dumbbell across chest and do that.

Well even without the bar or any weight my knees still go over my toes. When I had a trainer he would help me a lot because if I did it the 'right way' then I would fall on my butt lol He said it was due to having a really weak core. But idk.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    christch wrote: »

Well even without the bar or any weight my knees still go over my toes. When I had a trainer he would help me a lot because if I did it the 'right way' then I would fall on my butt lol He said it was due to having a really weak core. But idk.

It's ok if your knees track over toes.

If your trainer is saying different get a new one.
  • TayFit07
    TayFit07 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Keep a straight back, and the top of your head pointing skyward, so straight neck and facing forward. Feet should be hip width apart and pointed forward parallel to each other. Hope that helps, also I generally put my hands into a fist formation in front of me to keep centre
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TayFit07 wrote: »
    Keep a straight back, and the top of your head pointing skyward, so straight neck and facing forward. Feet should be hip width apart and pointed forward parallel to each other. Hope that helps, also I generally put my hands into a fist formation in front of me to keep centre

Sorry but that is horrible advice.

Your head should be forward or slightly down and feet should be turned out about 45 degrees or slightly less...
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I found the key for me is focusing more on keeping my toes loose and all the weight in my heels. Just keep trying. It gets easier as your body gets used to it.
  • TayFit07
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Your head should be forward or slightly down and feet should be turned out about 45 degrees or slightly less...

I learnt from my coach, who also coaches in the olympics...
  • arditarose
    Options

What/who does he coach for the olympics?
  • TayFit07
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

It's a woman and she coaches Skeleton mainly
  • arditarose
    Options

Ah, so not olympic lifting.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sorry but it is not good advice....
  • TayFit07
    Options

No, but obviously she's coaching in the olympics for a reason... Plus, I have a girl coaching me who was in the crossfit games. Anyways, I don't care, I feel like you guys are over exaggerating, so that's how I was taught to do a deep squat, and that's all
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

No, but obviously she's coaching in the olympics for a reason... Plus, I have a girl coaching me who was in the crossfit games. Anyways, I don't care, I feel like you guys are over exaggerating, so that's how I was taught to do a deep squat, and that's all

With a barbell?
  • TayFit07
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

With a barbell?

No, without
  • arditarose
    Options

But what she coaches in the olympics has nothing to do with squatting. And then there's cross fit. It's okay, that's how you squat. It's just generally not great advice.