Family Meal Rant

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the choice of chips. If there weren't enough fries so you weren't going to be eating them anyway, why not choose something more filling than chips?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, I completely get it! I'd be pretty upset if I had to eat chicken nuggets (I assume?) and chips for dinner. Wouldn't fill me up one bit. I guess I envy the people who can eat 'just a little bit of it' of high calorie foods and not end up going to bed hungry. Sure isn't me.

I don't understand the part about your budget not allowing for multiple meals though. If you don't eat that dinner, someone else can eat it tomorrow, it's not like the food is wasted... so use $5 of your own money to buy oatmeal, beans, peanut butter, so worst case you can make yourself some oatmeal with peanut butter or potatoes and beans for dinner instead.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    OH DUHHH oatmeal!!!
    see this is what i needed!!! I have things to eat but i can't COOK more than one MEAT.
    The chips are because its close to my payday and there isnt any fresh vegetables.
    Cooking a whole meal is wasted in our home because my mother wont eat leftovers (as if there is ever any). This meal would have been devoured by her no matter but i never thought of the oatmeal!!! :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok well you'll get more food for your money by buying a bag of potatoes instead of chips too.

But I admire you for putting up with her, I can't stand spending more than a couple days with my mom and I would definitely not be putting up with that.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Next payday, stock up on some frozen veggies to keep on hand in the freezer for situations just like this. Amazing how filling and satisfying a bag of broccoli, green beans, or some steamed chopped spinach is. Doesn't have to be fresh veggies. This is how I make it through meals when I make the kids something that is a calorie bomb and not filling when I stick to a "sensible portion" (like pasta...ever realize how pathetically small the actual serving size of pasta is??!)
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok well you'll get more food for your money by buying a bag of potatoes instead of chips too.

But I admire you for putting up with her, I can't stand spending more than a couple days with my mom and I would definitely not be putting up with that.

My sister lives half a country away for a reason i assume.... :D chips are usually meant for the kids i've been slipping up all weekend. :'(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Get some chicken or beef stock (less than $0.80) and add whatever you have around - onions, noodles, etc. A whole pot of soup for very little cost or cals.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    That does sound good too! Might see what i can throw together tomorrow and freeze for such occasions.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you have room in your freezer, the next time you make a healthy soup or stew, make some extra and freeze it in single-serving portions. Then, if you get into a similar situation, you can thaw the soup/stew for yourself without having to cook another meal. I cook for my wife and myself, so I don't have your problem, but between work and hobbies I get really busy, and having healthy, home-cooked meals in the freezer has been great on those days when I don't have time or energy to cook.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OH DUHHH oatmeal!!!
    see this is what i needed!!! I have things to eat but i can't COOK more than one MEAT.
    The chips are because its close to my payday and there isnt any fresh vegetables.
    Cooking a whole meal is wasted in our home because my mother wont eat leftovers (as if there is ever any). This meal would have been devoured by her no matter but i never thought of the oatmeal!!! :(

Why can't you cook more than one meat?

As others have said, keep frozen veggies on hand, eggs, oatmeal, peanut butter sandwich, rice, beans, grilled cheese, etc.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    If you have room in your freezer, the next time you make a healthy soup or stew, make some extra and freeze it in single-serving portions. Then, if you get into a similar situation, you can thaw the soup/stew for yourself without having to cook another meal. I cook for my wife and myself, so I don't have your problem, but between work and hobbies I get really busy, and having healthy, home-cooked meals in the freezer has been great on those days when I don't have time or energy to cook.

Thank you i actually have planned on filling my freezer come income tax. not only with meat but meals and veggies too.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OH DUHHH oatmeal!!!

As others have said, keep frozen veggies on hand, eggs, oatmeal, peanut butter sandwich, rice, beans, grilled cheese, etc.

We only have enough funds to get enough meat for the week or two for one type a night. We are a family of five so cooking a pound of this and a pound of that can get quite expensive if it wasnt bought to go together in the first place. Right now because of end of the year property taxes and holidays and still catching up on bills our budget is very small.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do your finances allow you to buy any food for you, your dh and kids or do you depend on your mother to buy groceries for the whole household?
    If you can buy some groceries then I would buy things like oatmeal, dry beans, lentils, eggs, potatoes, onions, frozen vegetables, peanut butter, celery, cabbage, spinach, apples, milk, bread, tuna, rice, pasta, popcorn.
    With a very tight budget, I can't get by without meal planning and making a grocery list and sticking to it strictly. It sounds like your family is winging it a bit and maybe some more planning would help your budget and make sure you all get to eat some of what you want.
    My family has enjoyed recipes from http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you had to eat chicken and chips and that's bad??? Buy a jar of peanut butter and toss it on an apple.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Do your finances allow you to buy any food for you, your dh and kids or do you depend on your mother to buy groceries for the whole household?
    If you can buy some groceries then I would buy things like oatmeal, dry beans, lentils, eggs, potatoes, onions, frozen vegetables, peanut butter, celery, cabbage, spinach, apples, milk, bread, tuna, rice, pasta, popcorn.
    With a very tight budget, I can't get by without meal planning and making a grocery list and sticking to it strictly. It sounds like your family is winging it a bit and maybe some more planning would help your budget and make sure you all get to eat some of what you want.
    My family has enjoyed recipes from http://www.budgetbytes.com/

Thank you i have been looking for a recipe/ meal planner!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OH DUHHH oatmeal!!!

We only have enough funds to get enough meat for the week or two for one type a night. We are a family of five so cooking a pound of this and a pound of that can get quite expensive if it wasnt bought to go together in the first place. Right now because of end of the year property taxes and holidays and still catching up on bills our budget is very small.

Ok. They way you were stressing "cook" I thought there might be a different reason.

Why would you have to cook a whole other pound of food? If you don't want the chicken tenders or whatever, leave the serving of that you were going to eat in the freezer and cook a chicken breast (we buy the frozen boneless skinless ones) instead? You ran out of fries and subbed for chips? I probably would have done rice and beans and some frozen veggies but nothing wrong with chicken tenders and chips every once in a while.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That was NOT meant as a criticism, it was an honest question, as the meal choice as an occasional one, sounds fine. Personally I would have had some veggies, but if you were unable to, then the peanut butter and apple statement. Actually, I did read all of the post and I didn't see where you ate peanut butter for two days. Then again, I could eat it every day and be good.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    So you had to eat chicken and chips and that's bad??? Buy a jar of peanut butter and toss it on an apple.

If you had the read the whole thread, you would have read the bit where the meal put her over her calories for the day and left her still feeling hungry, and frustrated because she knew that if it had been her choice of meal then she wouldn't have felt hungry and still been within her allowance for the day. I think that is why the OP was ranting. This same situation may not have upset others, but sometimes you need to come to a place online and let out your frustrations. I think it's great that she's responded positively to suggestions for the future if the situation arises again.

• cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

If you had the read the whole thread, you would have read the bit where the meal put her over her calories for the day and left her still feeling hungry, and frustrated because she knew that if it had been her choice of meal then she wouldn't have felt hungry and still been within her allowance for the day. I think that is why the OP was ranting. This same situation may not have upset others, but sometimes you need to come to a place online and let out your frustrations. I think it's great that she's responded positively to suggestions for the future if the situation arises again.

BLESS YOU for understanding exactly what i needed. I can now say from some of the better suggestions i some choices that dont require me to cook another full meal that i can fall back on. Besides sandwiches which i despise anyways.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I get it.
    Sometimes a rant just helps a bit, doesn't it?
    It can be frustrating, having to sometimes forego our personal choices/make concessions and accommodations for our families.

I also support your right to come here, have a lil'rant and know that some folks will nod their heads and commiserate.....
    In a perfect world, we could control all aspects of our lives and our family and friends would support us completely.
    But....this ain't a perfect world.
    Most of us do the best we can with what we've got.
    Kudos to you for not biting anyone or stabbing them with a fork.
    In my mind, you win