What to do about Thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Last year I walked over 3 miles before the meal so I had plenty of calories to enjoy what I wanted.

That would give me 200 calories maybe. Hardly plenty of calories, lol.

I'm going to try to save as many calories as I can the rest of the week (of course I just got TOM so this isn't going so well so far). Make sure to have a good workout every day (it's going to be tough on Thanksgiving as I'm cooking some time-sensitive things but worst case I can hop on and off the stationary bike while it bakes). Have a light breakfast and skip lunch on Thanksgiving, then focus on what I really want (basically.. dessert. So I might just have turkey and green beans before that, lol).

I mean last year I didn't care and ate a lot, but I've just come out of a horrible week and I just have to be more careful this time... but I want pie, so I'm going to have to save some calories for that.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I plan on having lighter options but enjoying small portions of whatever I want and to log the best I can. It's not any different then the buffet I went to last week.
  • jaimedeline77
    jaimedeline77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I plan on having lighter options but enjoying small portions of whatever I want and to log the best I can. It's not any different then the buffet I went to last week.

So true!!! If you can make it thru a good buffet you can make it anywhere!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

So true!!! If you can make it thru a good buffet you can make it anywhere!

What if you can't make it through a good buffer? lol.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I logged my entire day, last year. I stayed under my calorie goal. I do not do the turkey feast, I do other foods, so that may have helped.

My advice, eat the foods that you want to, on Thanksgiving, keep your portions reasonable, and get back to your normal plan on Friday.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of my strategy. I'm going to exercise extra the next three days..adding 15 minutes of cardio to my one hour. I'm going to cook myself some dishes that are low in calorie but festive and not "announce" it to anyone. I.e.: mashed potatoes made with chicken broth and I'm adding mashed cauliflower to them to bulk them up and adding a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I'm going to focus on white turkey meat..and then going to roast root vegetables also. I might also make a wine gravy…and i'm going to skip the rolls. I'm wondering if I could get a workout in without looking like an obsessed nut..that would help.

Dessert has me stumped for the moment.
    Im trying that as well! Im adding 200 calories per day 3 days before and making sure I get extra exercise time :)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mqsz94jSuF1spbqkko1_250.gif

I've going dive in, and ENJOY me some purrrrrrfect mash potatoes.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Last year I walked over 3 miles before the meal so I had plenty of calories to enjoy what I wanted.

Lizzy, you probably burned 200- 250 calories walking vs sitting.
    that's maybe .... 1 biscuit, or a small serving of mash potatoes, or 2 tablespoons of butter.

As an example.... per
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html

175 pound woman

350 calories burned - Walking 1 hour @ 3 miles/hour
    -105 calories burned - sitting 1 hour
    =245 calories difference

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie... Thanksgiving is cheat day
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We do the Turkey Trot 5k to justify eating whatever we want. I mean, that's how that works, right? ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm eating as much of everything as I want, not spending one second worrying or caring about it, and enjoying every.single.bite. Then getting right back on track the next day and carrying on as usual.

[ETA:] I'll probably eyeball estimate and log it, just for the amusement of seeing how many calories I eat.
  • hannahadrianna
    hannahadrianna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not dieting. I'm changing my lifestyle...which includes holiday meals. Since I cook for Thanksgiving (just "helping out" the last couple years quickly turned into "why don't you just take care of it all?"), I keep track of all nutritional information and weigh my food...just to keep an accurate log. I'm not worried about keeping strictly within my weight loss calorie goal, but I'm not going overboard. I don't feel like I need to make up for going over either.

Now that exercising and cooking have become fun, integral parts of my life, I don't worry about sticking so close to my goal on those days. It'll all even out in the end.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm giving myself 4000 calories for Thanksgiving. I have no idea how accurate that is going to be because I don't want to be that annoying person weighing everything at dinner when I know my dad made his mashed potatoes with tones of butter, cream cheese and sour cream.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating at maintenance. I'll probably go to the gym the days before and after to give me some more total calories.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    We do the Turkey Trot 5k to justify eating whatever we want. I mean, that's how that works, right? ;)

That's what I am doing lol :)
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of my strategy. I'm going to exercise extra the next three days..adding 15 minutes of cardio to my one hour. I'm going to cook myself some dishes that are low in calorie but festive and not "announce" it to anyone. I.e.: mashed potatoes made with chicken broth and I'm adding mashed cauliflower to them to bulk them up and adding a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I'm going to focus on white turkey meat..and then going to roast root vegetables also. I might also make a wine gravy…and i'm going to skip the rolls. I'm wondering if I could get a workout in without looking like an obsessed nut..that would help.

Dessert has me stumped for the moment.

Apple cider gravy. Yum. Super low cal.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I can't pre-log because we are going out for dinner with family so I don't really know how much or what I will be eating. I am taking with me an ice chest to keep anything that I don't eat on Thursday, for Friday's meals. I don't have a sweet tooth and I don't eat anything with cinnamon, so deserts and sweet potato caccerole are out, and I don't care for ham either. So maybe turkey, mashed potatoes, and veggies and probably a roll. Except for a light breakfast it will be the only meal of the day so I think that I will be OK.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Since I started maintaining a few years ago I never track what I eat on weekends or holidays. Holidays is time to relax and spend with family and friends, not worry about one day of potentially eating more calories than I need to maintain.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I was going to eat everything in sight and disregard that day until holiday baked goods got the best of me three times this past month making me go over my calories by a total 6,300. As someone in maintenance, that's a lot, and quite honestly I'm sick of eating so much xD I'll enjoy my family, but I couldn't care less about the food, I'll be done eating before I know it anyways! If you have enough calories to enjoy yourself then do it, or if you feel you don't need it then don't force yourself to do it out of habit. Listen to your body and take it easy, drink plenty of water, and get your rest (unless you intend on shopping early for Black Friday). c;
    As I see it, if I REALLY want pecan or pumpkin pie I can make them any time of year, so I don't see the point in binging when I could spend my calories on something like Chinese food or pizza
  • Ladibug23
    Ladibug23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating in moderation the things I like. I've been cutting out white flour and all sugar, and it's working well. I don't want to mess myself up by going overboard.