What to do about Thanksgiving?

Options
13»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    ET what you wNt on Thanksgiving, get a bit of exercise that day, and then go back to eating at a deficit on Friday. Thanksgiving is one day. It won't derail you if you get back on plan Friday.
    +1...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Super Bowl, Easter, July 4th and Halloween are days that I let myself eat as much as I want and not worry about it.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i plan on having a spoon full of everythng skip the pies
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    As you can see, there are many different ways to handle it. I have been using MFP for a few years now. On Thanksgiving, I usually just eat a small breakfast (like 150-200 cal) and then "whatever I want" for lunch (when my family does the big meal) and a very tiny plate of leftovers for dinner. This year I'm planning to go about it a bit differently by eating ONLY the food that truly appeals to me. For example, I could care less about rolls or stuffing so I'm not having any of that. I am up 4 lb from where I should be already and I just don't like the food served at Thanksgiving enough to go overboard, honestly. Christmas with fudge and cheesy soup will be a whole other issue.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    tamaeus wrote: »
    Well, this is my first major holiday since I started my diet. What should I do about Thanksgiving, which is in a few days? Should I only eat the minimum amount of calories per day for me, then I'm allowed to just pig out when I eat Thanksgiving Dinner (to counteract each other), or do I still have to count my calories on Thanksgiving and stay below my goal?

Do whatever you want. You'll survive one day going over your calorie goal. Just get back to normal as soon as you can.

I am cooking on Thanksgiving and I have pre-logged my whole day. I'm going over my goal but not over maintenance level. I'll probably do some exercise too.
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always log in my calories. But that's because I want to compete in the bikini division of bodybuilding a year from now. If I feel like pigging out, I always tell myself, "A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips."
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also I'll be that strange person toting around my food scale..
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go for a run. That'll burn off some calories that I plan to eat later. Other than that I'm not going to worry too much if I go over. It's just one day and will hardly derail me. I've been doing very well eating under my calorie goal lately and tomorrow I'll just get back on the wagon with no regrets. If this is going to last for you you need to understand this isn't a "diet", it's a lifestyle and you have to be able to let go sometimes.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want

It all counts. This cheat day idea is silly to me. Calories count. That is how we got fat!!!! An incorrect way of thinking about food

I go for a ride with friends. Some go run. The Tri club has a 5K and Half Marathon. I chose to ride with friends today. We rode a 42 mile trip thru some hills that was pretty intense on a calm day. Today was windy so it was brutal.