Hypertrophy?

Options
does anyone have a good hypertrophy workout/programme to follow apart from 5/3/1 as it's too frustrating for me to calculate Or even an app they know of? Thanks :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    PHUL is a strength/hypertrophy hybrid. You'd have to figure out how much to lift to start and how much/when to add weight.

Or here is a simple spreadsheet for calculating your 5/3/1 sets.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    does anyone have a good hypertrophy workout/programme to follow apart from 5/3/1 as it's too frustrating for me to calculate Or even an app they know of? Thanks :)

Have you tried www.blackironbeast.com for calculating your lifts?

There are plenty of good Hypertrophy dedicated programs. 5/3/1 is a strength based program though...what is your goal?
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

Have you tried www.blackironbeast.com for calculating your lifts?

There are plenty of good Hypertrophy dedicated programs. 5/3/1 is a strength based program though...what is your goal?

I had a look at that calculator but it's pretty confusing for me. My goal is to be strong but I want to look good too (aesthetic look) I'm out new to lifting (10 weeks) so have no idea what to do. Currently I'm doing ICF SL 5x5 but I'm getting really bored of it to the point where I'm not really enjoying going to they gym asuch as I used to .. I like the compound lifts but wanted to add in more ISO work
  • Samm471
    Options
    I am seeing strength gains but the way I want to look I don't think I will get from doing stronglifts
  • jemhh
    Options
    Doesn't ICF have isolation work? I thought that's what it was--5x5 plus isolation work.

Maybe try Strong Curves if you are bored. That one has 3 different full body workouts per week (plus it is suggested to do a 4th day, which some do and some don't) and they change every 4 weeks. That should keep you from being bored.
  • jmule24
    Options
    I am seeing strength gains but the way I want to look I don't think I will get from doing stronglifts

I did ICF 5x5 for a good 8+ months. I definitely saw both strength and muscle gains, but would agree it was more strength than muscle.

While compound lifts may be boring they do give you the most bang for your buck. I'd highly recommend Jason Blaha's (creator of ICF 5x5) linear hypertrophy program. Here is the link...let me know what you think of it or have questions....

https://content.tigerfitness.com/juggernaut-fitness-linear-hypertrophy-program/
  • Samm471
    Options
    Yeah but it's nothing great a few skull crushers here and there. Bicep curls shoulder shrugs. I don't even get sore from doing the workouts anymore I did when I first started or added weight but it's hard to add 5kg as your supposed to every week. Is strong curves not more for well "curves" lol
  • jmule24
    Options
    Yeah but it's nothing great a few skull crushers here and there. Bicep curls shoulder shrugs. I don't even get sore from doing the workouts anymore I did when I first started or added weight but it's hard to add 5kg as your supposed to every week. Is strong curves not more for well "curves" lol

Not 5kg a week...... 5 lbs or approx. 2-2.5kgs weekly. Soreness does not delineate good vs. bad workout...... just so you know.
  • jemhh
    Options

It's a full body program but it does put more focus on the lower body than a lot of other full body programs.

Soreness, in general, indicates that you worked something that hasn't been worked recently. Not being sore after each workout is normal and, IMO, desirable, because it means that you are not leaving things out on a normal basis. I pretty much get sore only when I add something new that is working an area that has been ignored or if I do an especially heavy workout.

What is your goal when it comes to lifting weights?
  • Samm471
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It's a full body program but it does put more focus on the lower body than a lot of other full body programs.

Soreness, in general, indicates that you worked something that hasn't been worked recently. Not being sore after each workout is normal and, IMO, desirable, because it means that you are not leaving things out on a normal basis. I pretty much get sore only when I add something new that is working an area that has been ignored or if I do an especially heavy workout.

Okay I don't know what you mean what is my goal with lifting weights? I want to progress in the weight in which I can lift I think that's important but mostly just to get an aesthetic look tbh .. I'm not sure if that's the right answer lol
  • jmule24
    Options

Okay I don't know what you mean what is my goal with lifting weights? I want to progress in the weight in which I can lift I think that's important but mostly just to get an aesthetic look tbh .. I'm not sure if that's the right answer lol

You want what everyone wants.....get stronger and get bigger muscles... :smile: Unfortunately, it is very hard to do both concurrently while being effective for both.

Progress overload (lifting more weight over time) is the king to muscle growth and strength. You should really check out the program I linked for you. If that doesn't interest you, I have plenty more I can share. The most important thing about the program is that you're going to stick to it for the allotted time.
    Growing muscle and getting the aesthetic look takes time.....
  • jemhh
    edited November 2015
    Options

Well that's what I mean. Are you trying to get stronger? Are you trying to get a certain look? If so, what is that look? A lot of women want to get a "look" that is more curvy in the lower body, for instance. Strong Curves is a good program for that. I did the program earlier this year and while I'm not doing it now, I still incorporate some of the things I learned while doing it, into my current program.

On the other hand, I think that SC is kind of lacking in upper body work. So I changed the upper body work a bit (mostly lowered the reps and used more weight.) If you're trying to work on your back, for instance, you'd want something with more pulling than SC has in it.

At the end of the day, though, you need to be patient. Ten weeks is enough to know that you don't like a program so I think it's okay to change a bit, especially considering that any *good* program has pretty much the same core lifts. But don't let boredom be the enemy of progress (i.e., don't skip around too much.)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    How long have you been training? This isn't meant to be a jab at you, but if the answer is less than 1 year then I think you need some patience. If you're training on your own without any PED support it will take some time. Find a program that you can stick to, eat right, recover right, and be patient and you'll get there in-time.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    How long have you been training? This isn't meant to be a jab at you, but if the answer is less than 1 year then I think you need some patience. If you're training on your own without any PED support it will take some time. Find a program that you can stick to, eat right, recover right, and be patient and you'll get there in-time.

Hey no I don't take it as a jab at all I'm
    New to lifting so I know people are just giving advice and that's totally fine I've only been lifting 10 weeks not much at all I know but I started SL I had no clue what it was for why or anything I asked about on here and that's what people
    Suggested so that's what I done. I like the lifts I do but just wanted something extra even to do like I had said more hypertrophy. Can't you do like say for example if it was leg day squats ( heavy) 5x5 and then a couple more accessory moves in a higher rep range just to mix it up so that your not leaving your compound move behind but your simply adding a bit of hypertrophy into it. Same with chest day for example do bench press ( heavy) 5x5 and same a few accessory moves higher rep range again so your still including the compound lift or does it not work that way?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

New to lifting so I know people are just giving advice and that's totally fine I've only been lifting 10 weeks not much at all I know but I started SL I had no clue what it was for why or anything I asked about on here and that's what people
    Suggested so that's what I done. I like the lifts I do but just wanted something extra even to do like I had said more hypertrophy. Can't you do like say for example if it was leg day squats ( heavy) 5x5 and then a couple more accessory moves in a higher rep range just to mix it up so that your not leaving your compound move behind but your simply adding a bit of hypertrophy into it. Same with chest day for example do bench press ( heavy) 5x5 and same a few accessory moves higher rep range again so your still including the compound lift or does it not work that way?

If that's how you want to train then I think the IceCream fitness thing is more along those lines. 5/3/1 (get the Beyond 5/3/1 ebook) is along the same lines too. There are many ways to train, just have to pick one that you like.
  • Samm471
    Options

If that's how you want to train then I think the IceCream fitness thing is more along those lines. 5/3/1 (get the Beyond 5/3/1 ebook) is along the same lines too. There are many ways to train, just have to pick one that you like.

I do ICF already lol it only has a few isolation works nothing great though tbh I'm just not sure I just have to try and see what's best. I am worried about leaving SL I don't want to make the wrong choice but if I'm not 100% happy with my programme then it take the fun out of it and makes it feel more like a chore
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I do ICF already lol it only has a few isolation works nothing great though tbh I'm just not sure I just have to try and see what's best. I am worried about leaving SL I don't want to make the wrong choice but if I'm not 100% happy with my programme then it take the fun out of it and makes it feel more like a chore

You're right, if you don't like what you're doing then it's hard to get motivated to train well and good chance you'll stop if you don't enjoy it.

Maybe I'm misreading. You did ICF and now you're doing SL? Just trying to understand exactly where you'rer at.
  • Samm471
    Options

You're right, if you don't like what you're doing then it's hard to get motivated to train well and good chance you'll stop if you don't enjoy it.

Maybe I'm misreading. You did ICF and now you're doing SL? Just trying to understand exactly where you'rer at.

Sorry I thought ICF SL 5x5 was one whole thing I thought that was the whole name for ICF lol .... It's just ICF 5x5 I'm doing then
  • jemhh
    Options
    Ice Cream Fitness is SL5x5 with isolation work added (shrugs, tricep extensions, curls, hyperextensions, crunches, CGBP.) Do you not like these isolation exercises? What more or different exercises do you want to do?
  • Samm471
    Options
    Ice Cream Fitness is SL5x5 with isolation work added (shrugs, tricep extensions, curls, hyperextensions, crunches, CGBP.) Do you not like these isolation exercises? What more or different exercises do you want to do?

Yeah that's the one I'm doing. I wanted to do more delt work , more things for legs instead of just squats more exercises for the back etc Chest press incline, decline with cable machine etc I wanted to hit my muscles hard and I don't get that feeling at all with ICF