Hypertrophy?

Options

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ice Cream Fitness is SL5x5 with isolation work added (shrugs, tricep extensions, curls, hyperextensions, crunches, CGBP.) Do you not like these isolation exercises? What more or different exercises do you want to do?

Yeah that's the one I'm doing. I wanted to do more delt work , more things for legs instead of just squats more exercises for the back etc Chest press incline, decline with cable machine etc I wanted to hit my muscles hard and I don't get that feeling at all with ICF

You are over thinking things in my opinion. Compound lifts will give you a great foundation overall to start with. Isolation movements should come in later down the road.....even for someone working on their physique.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The guy that created ICF is affiliated with JTS somehow so he's a pretty smart guy when it comes to training. Those hyper extensions when done correctly actually hit your back, glutes, and hamstrings pretty well. You're squatting 3xweek, deadlifting 1 to 2 times depending on how the sequence falls, and the back raises / hyper extensions hit the lower body pretty well and pretty frequently. Bent over Rows 3x week and Shrugs are hitting your upper back (your traps actually extend down into your upper back) so there's a lot of upper back work there. Honestly, on the "lighter" row day I wouldn't hesitate to throw in some chin-ups in-between all Pressing sets. One could make a case to change the CG Bench Press to DB Bench Press or DB Incline Bench Press I guess. Overall the plan is pretty complete for a new lifter, I like it more than SL5x5 because I'm on the the end of spectrum where I believe "purposeful accessory" work is good in my opinion.
  • jmule24
    Options
    I don't remember if I have posted this before for you, but I highly recommend you take the time to read through this. We get so caught up in what we see and hear on the internet and what not. I was guilty of it too. I've been doing a full body type routine for two years now and I keep gain strength and size little by little.

http://www.weightrainer.net/training/rules.html
  • jmule24
    Options
    Rule #4 & #5 directly relate
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream Fitness is SL5x5 with isolation work added (shrugs, tricep extensions, curls, hyperextensions, crunches, CGBP.) Do you not like these isolation exercises? What more or different exercises do you want to do?

Yeah that's the one I'm doing. I wanted to do more delt work , more things for legs instead of just squats more exercises for the back etc Chest press incline, decline with cable machine etc I wanted to hit my muscles hard and I don't get that feeling at all with ICF

I recommend reading Wendler's 5/3/1 book. I totally get wanting to do it all to have it all, but you'll spend half your day in the gym doing that. 5/3/1 can be customized so you never get bored and you can do a mix of strength and hypertrophy lifts.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I recommend reading Wendler's 5/3/1 book. I totally get wanting to do it all to have it all, but you'll spend half your day in the gym doing that. 5/3/1 can be customized so you never get bored and you can do a mix of strength and hypertrophy lifts.

She's pretty right on. Make sure to get "Beyond 5/3/1" which would have all of Jim's more current training info.
  • jmule24
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

She's pretty right on. Make sure to get "Beyond 5/3/1" which would have all of Jim's more current training info.

I don't agree, if the OP is wanting to build maximum muscle then she should focus on a hypertrophy program.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

I don't agree, if the OP is wanting to build maximum muscle then she should focus on a hypertrophy program.

To be fair, the OP doesn't even know what the OP wants. Starting with a book suggestion is not going to derail anything.
  • jmule24
    Options

To be fair, the OP doesn't even know what the OP wants. Starting with a book suggestion is not going to derail anything.

I didn't say you were trying to derail. I expressed my disagreement. Too many folks throw around 5x5 and 5/3/1 like everyone needs/should follow these programs. I'm even an huge fan of both programs, just not for everyone.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All Pro's - A Simple Beginner Routine
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I didn't say you were trying to derail. I expressed my disagreement. Too many folks throw around 5x5 and 5/3/1 like everyone needs/should follow these programs. I'm even an huge fan of both programs, just not for everyone.

For sure, SL5x5, ICF, 5/3/1, MC5x5 all get thrown-around a lot. Here's the thing though, they're all proven training programs and in the case of 5/3/1; it's more of a training system that once you understand it you can use it for life. The problem with MFP is that most people here don't really understand program design; if they actually did they wouldn't be here asking questions. Prescribing a pre-built program or training system is the easier of the routes. Ideally the person would find somebody to tailor a program specific to what they need but even that gets sketchy with some of the training "professionals", which brings us full-circle back to ready-made programming.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

5/3/1 can be set up in such a fashion that it lends itself to hypertrophy. Accumulate additional volume on the assistance lifts, not to mention incorporating Joker Sets, Back Off sets etc.

People make this stuff out to be more complicated then it has it be....
  • jmule24
    Options

5/3/1 can be set up in such a fashion that it lends itself to hypertrophy. Accumulate additional volume on the assistance lifts, not to mention incorporating Joker Sets, Back Off sets etc.

I understand that. Sometimes people just need straight sets with linear progression to start out with. I can understand why OP is confused.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Haha, for sure; way more complicated than it needs to be. I've been a member of Jim's site for a few years now, so I guess I am biased to his training principles; but once you understand everything he presents it's really a means of training for life.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I understand that. Sometimes people just need straight sets with linear progression to start out with. I can understand why OP is confused.

For sure, too much information available in some cases.
  • jmule24
    Options

Haha, for sure; way more complicated than it needs to be. I've been a member of Jim's site for a few years now, so I guess I am biased to his training principles; but once you understand everything he presents it's really a means of training for life.

For the right goals; yes, I agree with you 100%
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

How do you know that I don't know what I want? I want to build muscle and do more hypertrophy .. See if your gonna try n be a smart *kitten* n try n comment on stuff and tell people what you 'think' they want don't comment
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    TBH, years ago I did SL 5x5 at the recommendation of people on MFP and it did next to nothing in the way of my physique. I loved it for strength building though.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    5- or 6-day body part splits are my preferred plans for hypertrophy. Focus only on volume while staying in the 10 rep range if you don't care about strength as much. I do think strength training is best for beginners though, at least until they get solidly into intermediate strength levels.
  • jmule24
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    5- or 6-day body part splits are my preferred plans for hypertrophy. Focus only on volume while staying in the 10 rep range if you don't care about strength as much. I do think strength training is best for beginners though, at least until they get solidly into intermediate strength levels.

Care to link any sources of this information?