Alli / Xenical, Does It Work? (Please Only Answer If You Have Actually Taken It)

Options

Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    OK everyone - here is an update! I have now been on the stuff a year. I have lost 2 stone over 10 months as had 2 months off at maintenance. I agree that, between 1500-1650 cals a day without Orlistat I would probably lose weight anyway. BUT it has reeducated me re the amount of fat I was having and I am making better choices now. I still have fat - around 45g a day or less, take a multi-vitamin and so far so good. However, I don't want to be on these pills for much longer as worried about the side effects. For me it has been a fairly good experience.

Side effects have been some hairloss and dry skin (which I have never suffered from before). Once I upped my vitamin intake things did improve.

Cheese was my main downfall and is a "no" on this diet. I used to crave it - not so much now.. I still have matchbox-sized amounts without any problems. I can go out to Pizza Express and make sensible choices and still lose weight!

The consultant now wants me to lose another stone before the op which is depressing as I had originally agreed 2 stone loss but I am determined to get there. Summer is my deadline.

I can sympathise with a lot of comments above and my "near misses" taught me to be very careful! Need to work out how to bookmark this post.. If anyone is thinking of trying this stuff feel free to message me - my diary is open to friends.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned about having a near accident being a form of rededucation. And yes I know it's an old thread :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    OK everyone - here is an update! I have now been on the stuff a year. I have lost 2 stone over 10 months as had 2 months off at maintenance. I agree that, between 1500-1650 cals a day without Orlistat I would probably lose weight anyway. BUT it has reeducated me re the amount of fat I was having and I am making better choices now. I still have fat - around 45g a day or less, take a multi-vitamin and so far so good. However, I don't want to be on these pills for much longer as worried about the side effects. For me it has been a fairly good experience.

Side effects have been some hairloss and dry skin (which I have never suffered from before). Once I upped my vitamin intake things did improve.

Cheese was my main downfall and is a "no" on this diet. I used to crave it - not so much now.. I still have matchbox-sized amounts without any problems. I can go out to Pizza Express and make sensible choices and still lose weight!

The consultant now wants me to lose another stone before the op which is depressing as I had originally agreed 2 stone loss but I am determined to get there. Summer is my deadline.

I can sympathise with a lot of comments above and my "near misses" taught me to be very careful! Need to work out how to bookmark this post.. If anyone is thinking of trying this stuff feel free to message me - my diary is open to friends.

Just want to point out at 1650 calories a day eat 45 g or less (especially the or less parr. How low are you going?) you are just hitting your minimum daily requirement for fat intake. Other than pills that make you have explosive diarrhea why are you eating so little fat?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oh if you don't get at least your minimum rda odfat taking a multivitamin won't matter for some esssential vitamins as several are fat soluble.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned about having a near accident being a form of rededucation. And yes I know it's an old thread :)

This thread is exempt from zombie thread etiquette.

because it is the best thread on MFP...

It has strong competition from the “sodium bicarbonate is evil” thread and the “can’t eat Easter eggs because training for MMA thread”... those are my two all time faves.

i don't remember those... none of the good threads last any more!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It has strong competition from the “sodium bicarbonate is evil” thread and the “can’t eat Easter eggs because training for MMA thread”... those are my two all time faves.

I liked the microwave AKA black box of death thread - RIP.

Sadly I think that one got closed because we posted a link in a thread discussion similar to this one so sorry Jof, I’m not making that mistake again! Maybe one of those old classics will get bumped soon though...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I sometimes like to bump up this thread because of how sadly hilarious it is :blush:
    I've got the thread marked for notifications so I never miss a bump. It has sort of taken on a life of its own.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Referencing classic threads without providing a convenient link to them should at least be a demerit.

250px-That%27s_a_paddlin%27.png

The second classic thread referenced comes up if you use the search feature and key words Easter and MMA.
    It's seriously my favorite thread of all time on MFP, mostly because of the egg puns and ridiculous memes...
    I'm actually afraid to bump it. I want it to live forever in the MFP active thread archives.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am now trying to do without them and am trying to walk as exercise but it is hard! The pills did help because they got me used to eating lower fat which did help. lesscookies 12, thanks for your honest reply and I am pleased that you got through this. Did you build up your walking slowly. I can manage two 15 minute sessions at the moment before the pain flares up...

I did follow the guidelines whilst on the pills and only had one near miss. The rest of the time I was fine and did not have the sort of disasters other people reported. But I was worried about the effects of them long term...

fat doesnt male you fat so if you lost eating in a deficit.you dont need to do low fat to lose weight. the only reason to do low fat is if you have a health issue that means you need to watch fat intake. otherwise a body needs some fat.you had to eat lower fat because of the pills,eating lower fat didnt cause the weight loss. of it did I shouldnt be having a problem losing.(I have a health issue and metabolic issue and cant eat a lot of fat).