Advice

Options
I'm going to attemp a raw vegan diet. I would like to know what good I could eat that will help me feel full and give me all the nutrients I need whilst losing weight In the process

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on a raw vegan diet is just like losing weight any other way -- you will have to consume fewer calories than you eat.

Are you already vegan? Vegans keep full on beans, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts . . . basically everything except for animal products. Raw vegans simply eat uncooked versions of these foods. The one nutrient that can't be found through plant foods is B12, so you'll need to either take a supplement or eat a food fortified with B12 to ensure you don't develop a deficiency. Raw vegans sometimes struggle to meet their needs for protein or fat, so make sure you're including good sources of these in your diet. Fat and protein will also ensure that you feel fuller and have adequate energy. Some raw vegans gain weight if they include many calorie-dense foods in their diet (nuts, coconut, avocado) while other raw vegans struggle to maintain weight because they don't eat enough calorie dense foods.

May I ask why you want to try raw veganism?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you are going "raw vegan" just to lose weight, I would reconsider.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on a raw vegan diet is just like losing weight any other way -- you will have to consume fewer calories than you eat.

Are you already vegan? Vegans keep full on beans, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts . . . basically everything except for animal products. Raw vegans simply eat uncooked versions of these foods. The one nutrient that can't be found through plant foods is B12, so you'll need to either take a supplement or eat a food fortified with B12 to ensure you don't develop a deficiency. Raw vegans sometimes struggle to meet their needs for protein or fat, so make sure you're including good sources of these in your diet. Fat and protein will also ensure that you feel fuller and have adequate energy. Some raw vegans gain weight if they include many calorie-dense foods in their diet (nuts, coconut, avocado) while other raw vegans struggle to maintain weight because they don't eat enough calorie dense foods.

Veganism (raw or not) is also not just a diet but a complete lifestyle change. As in you are not using anything (clothes, hair products, etc) that contain animal byproduct in it.

If you are doing this solely to lose weight, I'd strongly suggest you really reconsider what you are taking on. And google is your friend in finding vegan websites to understand exactly what you will be doing.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Veganism (raw or not) is also not just a diet but a complete lifestyle change. As in you are not using anything (clothes, hair products, etc) that contain animal byproduct in it.

If you are doing this solely to lose weight, I'd strongly suggest you really reconsider what you are taking on. And google is your friend in finding vegan websites to understand exactly what you will be doing.

Veganism IS a lifestyle change. Raw veganism is a diet.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

So you're telling me with raw "veganism" you can wear/use things with animal byproducts? I thought the only difference between the two is the raw/cooked part.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

So you're telling me with raw "veganism" you can wear/use things with animal byproducts? I thought the only difference between the two is the raw/cooked part.

Eating raw isn't part of ethical veganism. Cooking vegetables doesn't exploit animals.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Raw veganism can be pretty hard to stick with, and it's not necessary for losing weight. But go for it if you really want to! :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Eating raw isn't part of ethical veganism. Cooking vegetables doesn't exploit animals.

But isn't veganism part of "raw veganism"? Seems like if 'vegan' is part of the label, it would come with the same ethical concerns/constraints as veganism in general.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I never said anything of the sort. Someone who is a raw vegan has made the lifestyle changes associated with veganism. But going from vegan to raw vegan is only changing a diet.

Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation. Someone who is vegan may add additional restrictions to their diet -- they may go low fat or raw or whatever. But veganism itself goes beyond diet.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

But isn't veganism part of "raw veganism"? Seems like if 'vegan' is part of the label, it would come with the same ethical concerns/constraints as veganism in general.

In most cases, raw vegans aren't raw vegans because of ethics.

That's the distinction.

Usually, they're doing it as a "diet".

I'm sure that somewhere out there there's the odd ethical raw vegan. It's not the norm.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If you are going "raw vegan" just to lose weight, I would reconsider.

Agreed. @xx1chloe5xx - what's your motivation for raw vegan?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's the distinction.

I'm sure that somewhere out there there's the odd ethical raw vegan. It's not the norm.

yzszjq8g3yu7.jpg

You called?

(Or at least that's what I've heard.)
  • kshama2001
    Options

That's the distinction.

I have a few ethical vegan friends who dabbled with raw to see if there was anything to the health benefit rumors. (They were not overweight.) They didn't find any benefits and did find lots of drawbacks, and found eating raw unsustainable when the summer ended.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yeah. That's what I'd think. Otherwise it's just raw vegetarianism, not vegan.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

That's the distinction.

I have a few ethical vegan friends who dabbled with raw to see if there was anything to the health benefit rumors. (They were not overweight.) They didn't find any benefits and did find lots of drawbacks, and found eating raw unsustainable when the summer ended.

I know several ethical vegans who have also gone raw. Having an ethical objection to animal exploitation can co-exist with believing that raw food is better for health/energy/whatever.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's the distinction.

yzszjq8g3yu7.jpg

You called?

(Or at least that's what I've heard.)

Looks like he goes raw to detox:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12474/woody-harrelson-profile-0212/

..."Don't get me wrong," he is saying. "I like to party. I say that without shame. I'll go on cooked-food benders and just be, like, drinking and eating grade-A *kitten* for a couple of weeks. Like I just went to Europe for three weeks to promote the movie. It's hard to find raw food there. And then I came to New York and got really serious."

I guess when you're all pure and you have a couple of drinks —

"No, a couple of drinks ain't that big a deal. It's having, you know, five drinks plus shots, that kind of stuff. That's a big deal. I got right on the verge of being sick. Like I was really ready to jump off into the abyss. I was just crawling to the finish line. It's like that Joseph Campbell book, Hero with a Thousand Faces I think it was. He's like, you reach this point — and I'm paraphrasing badly — but you get to this point where you realize your modes of doing things no longer fit for you. I don't mind being Party Boy Henderson, you know what I mean? But there just has to be an appropriate balance."

So it's kind of a battle for you? Is that why you live in Hawaii? Escape from temptation?

He shrugs, abashed. Not a man given to moderation. "It was like, when I left home for college, I went straight from religion into hedonism. Hopefully I'll never be as extreme as I was, but sometimes I think I have pushed it pretty hard. On the other hand, I do fasts and things to clean and purify. I detox before I retox."
  • kshama2001
    Options

Raw is an add-on to veganism that has nothing to do with the not wanting to exploit animals philosophy behind veganism.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Raw is an add-on to veganism that has nothing to do with the not wanting to exploit animals philosophy behind veganism.

So there is still the ethical philosophy behind it because it IS veganism. It's just going another level.

I think where the disconnect is here, is that I'm taking the OP's interest as something she heard would help her lose weight and that she isn't already a vegan. Mostly because that's what I tend to see on the boards when people decide they want to go vegan or raw vegan.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

So there is still the ethical philosophy behind it because it IS veganism. It's just going another level.

I think where the disconnect is here, is that I'm taking the OP's interest as something she heard would help her lose weight and that she isn't already a vegan. Mostly because that's what I tend to see on the boards when people decide they want to go vegan or raw vegan.

And that's the context I was using in my remarks. Most of the raw vegan aspirants we see on the boards are not trying the approach because they're ethical vegans.

There are some people I came across way back in the way back, who did raw paleo. They ate pemmican and jerky dried at very low temperatures. Even chicken pemmican. I still don't know how they did it.

There are just some people who eat raw because they believe the food has more enzymes or something like that.