Logging on thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I just set my calories to maintenance and allow myself 1000 calories. I try to eat a little of everything, just enough to be satisfied but not stuffed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Josh_LoL wrote: »
    I don't see why you wouldn't log it.

Because some people feel spending time with family is more important than tracking calories that day.

I'm going to log. Christmas week will be a diet break for me, though.
  • heathersthomas1972
    Options
    We had our Thanksgiving yeaterday and I kept the calorie count in a good range. I did the cooking so I knew what the calories were. It was easier since I did everything I could to lighten every dish up. No complaints from the family. I think it was successful!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Of course I will log. Why wouldn't I?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I log everyday regardless, keeps my honest.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I log in every day.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Who's doing it?

Why wouldn't one log everything?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I will but it will not be accurate and i am really curious to see if I can hit 5000+
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Who's doing it?

because it is probably impossible to be accurate on Thanksgiving...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I plan to log what I "think" the calories are because I'll be using others homemade entries. My mom is cooking so it's impossible to log correctly and I won't have access to a scale either. I will overestimate to be safe. So far I've pre logged 2,600 calories. ed5wxjc6afib.jpeg

your doing it wrong….
  • allenpriest
    Options
    I'll pre log to plan the day and to keep myself mindful of what I am eating.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Today I actually prelogged breakfast, football snacks, 2 gin and tonics watching football, my planned thanksgiving dinner that I am cooking with 2 glasses of wine. Yep, I am definitely a scooch over but I am swimming Friday, gonna enjoy my oldest son's favorite holiday snack treat, skip my youngest son's favorite pumpkin pie and am planning an extra early thanksgiving morning walk. Totally doable, and if I am over a few hundred calories I know it won't be the end of me for one day. This year rather than making my infamous homemade rolls I bought a small packet of family fav's so I don't have the leftovers.... only doing a half of my family recipe for Italian stuffing so I don't have leftovers.... I bought freezer containers to bundle up appropriate future portions of the dressing and Turkey for my boys. If I mess this up, it is not going to be due to lack of planning LOL

how can you mess up one day out of the year???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'll pre log to plan the day and to keep myself mindful of what I am eating.

why? Its Thanksgiving and one day is not going to ruin your progress….
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    In the UK, We don't really celebrate thanksgiving - but christmas - I personally go HARD for. I won't be logging then. It's one day. It's fine.

Snap, also in the UK. I usually have a day off logging on Xmas day. Once I logged and I had 2600 calories, which is only 300 above my TDEE. I usually go for walk anyway, plus I have 3 young kids so not many opportunities to sit on my fat mince-pie filled *kitten* lol.

I want to enjoy the day with my family, not stress about weighing my turkey! On Boxing Day we usually go to my husband's aunt's house and have a buffet of Thai curry. I did do a 5K run last year first though!
  • allenpriest
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Who's doing it?

So what? Being "accurate" is far less important to me than paying attention. My risk is eating just out of habit.

I log everything without being obsessive about accuracy and it works for me. Of course I started with over 200 pounds to lose so accuracy has been less important than just getting some level of control.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I plan to log what I "think" the calories are because I'll be using others homemade entries. My mom is cooking so it's impossible to log correctly and I won't have access to a scale either. I will overestimate to be safe. So far I've pre logged 2,600 calories. ed5wxjc6afib.jpeg

I remember someone logging over 6,000 Calories on Thanksgiving. I'm still in the middle of pre-logging. I never knew I would say this, but I don't know what vegetables I want to supplement with the green beans and corn we'll be having (I might have a box of frozen honey glazed carrots, a crapton of broccoli, or I could saute some spinach with feta). Honestly, I'm more excited about the turkey and vegetables instead of the stuffing/potatoes/pumpkin pie/bread. :open_mouth:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Who's doing it?

So what? Being "accurate" is far less important to me than paying attention. My risk is eating just out of habit.

I log everything without being obsessive about accuracy and it works for me. Of course I started with over 200 pounds to lose so accuracy has been less important than just getting some level of control.

it is one day out of 365 ….pretty hard to sabotage your whole weight loss life style change in one day …actually it is 100% impossible.

so inaccurate logging is OK, as long as you "log it all in"…?

I would rather be accurate 75 to 85% of the time and have my 15% of the time when I do not have to be so obsessive about logging….
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will log. I am doing the cooking so I think it will be doable. The challenge will be how to log all of the "tasting" that will go on during prep.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    You really really like Bailey's don't you?

Point??

Except, that's Bailey's creamer. Try the real thing. Go to your neighborhood liquor outlet and buy a bottle of REAL Bailey's Irish Cream. Invite it along to your Thanksgiving gathering.

Mmmm, now there's a cup of coffee that I could appreciate.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'll log it all, but not worry about the calorie count. I'll log over estimates when I can't be exact.

Just want to keep the habit going.