Diet Coke & Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke has sodium in it (though not much else!) and tends to make your body retain fluids. That's why you can't count it in your daily liquids. So yes, I could see it slowing down weight loss if you drink a lot of it (like daily) and you weren't prior to that.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke has sodium in it (though not much else!) and tends to make your body retain fluids. That's why you can't count it in your daily liquids. So yes, I could see it slowing down weight loss if you drink a lot of it (like daily) and you weren't prior to that.

Diet Coke has sodium, yes, but very little. It is considered to be a "very low sodium food," which is printed right on the bottle. So while you are technically correct, in that the sodium can cause your body to retain fluids, she would have to be drinking it by the gallons for the sodium to have any effect.

Also, it's not the sodium content that is why you "can't count it in your daily liquids" it's the diuretic effect of the caffeine (which is a bogus claim anyway, at least according to Mayo Clinic, which says there is not enough caffeine in the drink, even coffee, to erase the benefit of the fluid content)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Pepsi every day and it hasn't affected my weight loss at all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Diet Coke has 14mg sodium in a can

an egg has 62mg sodium

I think your contention is incorrect

and of course you can count diet soda as liquid
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

drinking coke zero as I type this...30mg of sodium per 355ml - 1% your daily value - hardly something to worry about!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I drink roughly 50oz od diet mt. dew a day (and 120 to 150oz of water). It will not make weight loss stop. I will say, as you become more lean, your weight loss will slow down. Also, when you are more lean you tend to have less ro for error (that is why the last 10 tend to be the hardest).

How accurate is your logging and how consistent are generally the bigger variables.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to stop drinking it and see what happens. This is providing your logging is on point.

I don't drink regular or diet soda, so can't speak of it's effects on the body.

Diet coke has no calories, therefore it is not part of any weight management equation. ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    2houndmom wrote: »
    Can diet coke cause weight loss to slow down or even stop? I do @ 45 minutes of cardio a day - 6 days /week plus @ 20- 30 minutes of strength training 3 days a week. I eat between 1200 - 1500 calories a day. My weight loss has all but stopped & the only thing I can think of that may be causing it would be the diet cokes (@ 4/day).
    Any ideas?

no it can't because diet coke has zero calories.

the only thing that is stoping your weight loss is eating over maintenance level.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Not enough sodium to worry about. Even if it did contain a lot of sodium, it would be temporary water retention and not weight gain.
  • ndj1979
    Options

even if that were true it is just a temporary thing and would not permanently slow down weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why would a zero calorie beverage be the cause for your weight loss to stall?

I've been drinking Diet Coke for about 25 years. I drank it when I was gaining, losing, and maintaining my weight. Diet Coke does nothing to impact the CICO energy balance.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Soda=no benefit to your body. Stop.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I love Coke Zero. I mean LOVE it! But never more than 12 oz in a day. And not every day of the week. I treat it with a healthy respect, like I would beer or wine, despite its having no calories. Metabolic studies show it still has an impact digestively. What would be the harm in swapping out 3 of your 4 cokes with water & watching what happens???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

lol, great analysis
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Soda = no harm to your body. Drink it if you enjoy it.
  • FHMatch
    FHMatch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke doesn't prevent you from losing weight, but studies have shown that it could cause you to overeat. This is because the artificial sweeteners in diet soda could disrupt appetite control which can result in cravings and eating more food.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If zero calorie drinks mess up a diet I am in fact screwed, or... Does this pot of coffee make my *kitten* look fat?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    FHMatch wrote: »
    Diet Coke doesn't prevent you from losing weight, but studies have shown that it could cause you to overeat. This is because the artificial sweeteners in diet soda could disrupt appetite control which can result in cravings and eating more food.

This ^
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to have to find another culprit. Diet coke is not going to slow your weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    FHMatch wrote: »

I have heard this many times but for me it is simply not the case. As I said above, I drank Diet Coke when losing, gaining, and maintaining. It did not induce cravings and dos not disrupt appetite control. In fact, I can only see that potentially being a factor if someone recently started drinking Diet Coke, if this has been part of their diet for quite some time I'm not sure why suddenly it would cause a disruption in appetite control and lead to a weight loss stall...