Diet Coke & Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is awfully bad for your health - I quit drinking after studying the effects at uni. Women who drink 2 or more diet sodas are 50% more likely to have heart problems ... that alone gave me the freedom to throw the can out!
    My doctor also mentioned that drinking diet soda's send messages to your brain, the sweetness is a signal that food is coming, so the brain prepares for a meal, and is left with an empty stomach full of sugar ....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @bronizzle , is that "50% more likely" correlation or causation?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @bronizzle , is that "50% more likely" correlation or causation?

I'd like to see the peer-reviewed scientific study regarding that statistic - otherwise I'm calling it BS and scaremongering.

OP, there's no reason to avoid diet soda unless you've been told to for some medical condition (phenylketonuria, etc.). It's not going to slow your weight loss and you can safely ignore all the people shouting about "teh toxinzzzz!!!1!!!".
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bronizzle wrote: »
    It is awfully bad for your health - I quit drinking after studying the effects at uni. Women who drink 2 or more diet sodas are 50% more likely to have heart problems ... that alone gave me the freedom to throw the can out!
    My doctor also mentioned that drinking diet soda's send messages to your brain, the sweetness is a signal that food is coming, so the brain prepares for a meal, and is left with an empty stomach full of sugar ....

Do you have any studies directly linking Diet Coke consumption to heart disease in women?

Also, how would you be left with an empty stomach full of sugar when there is no sugar in Diet Coke?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    FHMatch wrote: »
    Diet Coke doesn't prevent you from losing weight, but studies have shown that it could cause you to overeat. This is because the artificial sweeteners in diet soda could disrupt appetite control which can result in cravings and eating more food.

Correlation does not equal causation in the case of diet sweeteners and weight gain -- you have to dig into epidemiology to understand the why of weight gain a little better. As for disrupting appetite control? That is simply a hypothesis, it's not been proven or tested.

I think that if the effect is not happening for a person, they're okay drinking the beverage.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also, how would you be left with an empty stomach full of sugar when there is no sugar in Diet Coke?

SCIENCE!!! :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke doesn't prevent you from losing weight, but studies have shown that it could cause you to overeat. This is because the artificial sweeteners in diet soda could disrupt appetite control which can result in cravings and eating more food.

Please link us to said studies
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Again, please provide peer reviewed studies backing this claim....
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols which are in diet sodas have not been thoroughly studied and can have different effects in different people. You might be sensitive to something in them, or it could be something else. You could try cutting down or laying off for a month or longer and see how it goes, up to you though. Good luck :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Soda=no benefit to your body. Stop.

I don't drink any soda because it gives me heartburn, but there is nothing wrong with it. It's just a beverage.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Which studies? Links?

I imagine it can trigger hunger in some, but there is no absolute here.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

is that the same for fruit juice too
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Soda=no benefit to your body. Stop.

eating at your house must be boring.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols which are in diet sodas have not been thoroughly studied and can have different effects in different people. You might be sensitive to something in them, or it could be something else. You could try cutting down or laying off for a month or longer and see how it goes, up to you though. Good luck :smile:

All food additives have been thoroughly studied or are known to be safe through expert review before being cleared for market. All of them.

Sugar alcohols are typically added to solid foods, not beverages. The most common artificial sweetener used in soft drinks is Aspartame and it is not a sugar alcohol. It, also, has been studied ad-nauseum.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm397716.htm
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

This is likely a case of people like "oh, i know i'm obese but i'm going to get my big mac meal with a diet coke" and "I can have a slice of cake, i didn't drink a full-calorie soda!" type thing.

But in any case there is a correlation between not only the obese and drinking zero calorie beverages but also appetite and satiety when eating zero calories foods.

edit: By the way, coke zero has the opposite effect for me. It kind of kicks any cravings i have to the curb.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    OP, You are undoubtedly eating more calories than you think or burning less than you think. Sucks to hear, but that's the only cause.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This ^

Good thing we're not mindless eating machines then and are paying attention to our intake.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Most artificial sweeteners are not sugar alcohols and have been tested to hell and back.
  • AnvilHead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

This is likely a case of people like "oh, i know i'm obese but i'm going to get my big mac meal with a diet coke" and "I can have a slice of cake, i didn't drink a full-calorie soda!" type thing.

But in any case there is a correlation between not only the obese and drinking zero calorie beverages but also appetite and satiety when eating zero calories foods.

edit: By the way, coke zero has the opposite effect for me. It kind of kicks any cravings i have to the curb.

Again, correlation =!= causation. Obese people are more likely to drink diet soda because it has less calories and they want to lose weight (hence the name "diet" soda). In the prospective cohort studies where they found BMI gain among users of artificial sweeteners, there were no calorie controls (or even self-reporting) in place. Diet appears to have been ad libitum. In the studies using controlled isocaloric diets, both groups lost weight and the difference was not significant:
    A double blind study subjected 55 overweight youth to 13 weeks of a 1,000 Kcal diet accompanied by daily capsules of aspartame or lactose placebo. Both groups lost weight, and the difference was not significant. Weight loss was attributed to caloric restriction [27]. Similar results were reported for a 12-week, 1,500 Kcal program using either regular or diet soda [28]. Interestingly, when sugar was covertly switched to aspartame in a metabolic ward, a 25 percent immediate reduction in energy intake was achieved [29]. Conversely, knowingly ingesting aspartame was associated with increased overall energy intake, suggesting overcompensation for the expected caloric reduction [30]. Vigilant monitoring, caloric restriction, and exercise were likely involved in the weight loss seen in multidisciplinary programs that included artificial sweeteners

Inferring causation from correlation is misleading. I see a lot of fat people in buffet restaurants; are they fat because they eat there, or do they eat there because it suits their predilection for massive calorie intake? If the former, how do you explain the skinny/normal weight people also eating in the same buffet restaurants?