270LBS eating 800-1000 calories per day.

Options
42yr old male, weighed in @ 270. Eating 800-1000 calories per day, no sugar, no wheat, no pop. I drink a lot of Oolong Tea, feeling good right now, a lot of energy. Lost 7 LBS in 3 days.

Any problems continuing this plan for 3-4 weeks?

Replies

• xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I believe that you're going to be told you need to eat WAY more by the next 100 comments.

I guessed that you're 6' tall, and put your numbers into Scooby's calculator, and it says that your BMR is ~2350. That's the number of calories you'd need to keep your organs functioning if you were in a coma. To maintain your weight, assuming zero exercise and a desk job, it's 2820 calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Morty222
    Morty222 Posts: 3
    Options
    I believe that you're going to be told you need to eat WAY more by the next 100 comments.

LOL, I figured.
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Yup
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    why... just why...
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My question is, is that all you're eating or is that what you're netting? B/c I net 882 yesterday but I ate a total of 1546 and I was so full that I couldnt take another bite of anything at any meal or snack. Listen to your body, if you're hungry eat, if not drink some water :)
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    At that weight, no you can do it for a few weeks. Just watch your mood and energy levels
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Do me a favor and watch the "Extreme Weight Loss" show from last night (June 25th). This will help prove that someone who is 270lbs and male NEEDS to eat more like no less than 1800/day to be healthy and not malnourished. I'd never suggest following a TV show, but what Chris Powell suggests for his contestants to do (nutrition wise) is very realistic. You might lose weight slower, but you won't lose as much muscle in the process.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For 3-4 weeks you're probably fine. I'd be hesitant to go much longer than that though. I'd also do some strength training to help prevent muscle loss, but that's up to you at this point.\

Lyle McDonald (a highly regarded expert in the field) actually has a plan for how to be successful with short term low calorie diets.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    42yr old male, weighed in @ 270. Eating 800-1000 calories per day, no sugar, no wheat, no pop. I drink a lot of Oolong Tea, feeling good right now, a lot of energy. Lost 7 LBS in 3 days.

So, curious, are you a troll looking to start another "discussion" about the this issue??

Yes, there is a problem with what you are doing. Do a search on 1200 and you will find plenty of threads talking about why you should not be eating that low.
  • gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Options
    Exactly right - you should be eating way more. Eating only 800-1000 cals per day does only one thing - sends your body into starvation mode and unfortunately the scale will probably go down but it's not pure fat loss, you will be losing muscle etc. I would recommend at least 2200.

I have been there, done that and I only started really losing "FAT" when I started eating more...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    maybe for 3-4 weeks, but that is not sustainable for the rest of your life... why would you want to torture yourself like that?
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

LOL, I figured.

I re-edited my post with some rough numbers (I assumed you're 6' tall... )

Read the initial post "In Place Of A Road Map" - it sets out a lot of the "rules" of lifestyle change pretty well :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I wouldn't say you need to avoid any particular food group like wheat, but you likely WILL to a large extent due to the calories. I used to eat bread all the time... tasty tasty bread... but now it's mostly just when I go out for breakfast with my wife on the weekend.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I guessed that you're 6' tall, and put your numbers into Scooby's calculator, and it says that your BMR is ~2350. That's the number of calories you'd need to keep your organs functioning if you were in a coma. To maintain your weight, assuming zero exercise and a desk job, it's 2820 calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

What he said....NOT ENOUGH CALORIES! :bigsmile:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You can sure, but why would you want to?

Seriously restricting has only ever caused me to binge and fall off the wagon. Why not take a longer term view, lose the weight more slowly, and change your habits/lifestyle.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wave bye-bye to your muscles. :cry:
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat so little? You will still lose weight if you ate more.

You are running a risk of messing up your long term success. I assume, since you are asking us, that you are not under the supervision of a doctor. Why are you eliminating sugar and wheat from your diet?
  • Morty222
    Morty222 Posts: 3
    Options

So, curious, are you a troll looking to start another "discussion" about the this issue??

Yes, there is a problem with what you are doing. Do a search on 1200 and you will find plenty of threads talking about why you should not be eating that low.

No, I am not a troll, I am new to this site and was just asking a simple question.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the problem will come in weeks 5-3245
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need to research a balanced, healthy food plan. If you have trouble w/ wheat ( I am non-celiac, gluten intolerant), there are many options- not all of them are tasty. If you research, you will find many ways to use non-wheat products that will help you have choices in what you eat, healthy food to keep yourself in good condition, and lots of support for healthy eating. Congratulations on starting your journey, may you continue it in good health.