Break from running: How long before you lose your ability?

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I am used to running between 8-12KM daily (sometimes more). I have run off too much weight though and need to gain a few pounds, so I should probably curb my running a bit. I am worried about losing my ability though! I love feeling like I have strong, able legs and lungs!

How long of a break can the average person take before they start to lose their strength in running?

Why not just increase your calories? Keep running, but do so while eating a calorie surplus.

this.

or decrease your runs??
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, my initial response was to eat more. Then I saw that it upsets your stomach. Is this if you try to stuff yourself? I would suggest just eating more calorie dense foods as opposed to more food.

To be honest, I actually took off about 7 or 8 months from all exercise while I was sidelined with a brain disorder that resulted in surgery. When I started running again I hadn't lost as much of my ability as I thought I would. It's not taking as long to build back up as it did from when I first started running again after many years of not running!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Some runners have their best race of their life after taking the month off before a race due to injury.

You really won't lose anything if you take a month off, or just majorly back off for a month. Once you're back running you may hit a week [usually the second week back for me] where you struggle or feel a little more sluggish and tired, but muscle through that week and you'll be right back to normal energy and normal strength and cardio levels.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One week.

Oh god. I'm going out right now then. I will just eat like a monster today or something.

I think scottb81 maybe was being sarcastic. I know it's not what you asked, but if you want to continue to run, I'd say you'd be able to do that and gain weight. Once you hit (or pass) your goal weight, your metabolism slows, making it harder to lose. So up your calories, continuing running, if you do this and continue to lose, don't run as much, and good luck!
    I wasn't being sarcastic.

You can take a week off without a noticible decline in aerobic fitness. After about a week to 10 days the loss begins to be significant. After 3 to 4 weeks the there will be a large decline in performance.

This is well known by athletes and coaches and the information along with supporting scientific studies is freely available on the web.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    One week.

Oh god. I'm going out right now then. I will just eat like a monster today or something.

I think scottb81 maybe was being sarcastic. I know it's not what you asked, but if you want to continue to run, I'd say you'd be able to do that and gain weight. Once you hit (or pass) your goal weight, your metabolism slows, making it harder to lose. So up your calories, continuing running, if you do this and continue to lose, don't run as much, and good luck!

You can take a week off without a noticible decline in aerobic fitness. After about a week to 10 days the loss begins to be significant. After 3 to 4 weeks the there will be a large decline in performance.

This is well known by athletes and coaches and the information along with supporting scientific studies is freely available on the web.

Perhaps if they took a long time off of running and did NO cardiovascular activities what so ever. As long as I keep up with doing cardio while on a running hiatus I don't see any significant decline in my performance. In fact I am always prepared for it and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One week.

Perhaps if they took a long time off of running and did NO cardiovascular activities what so ever. As long as I keep up with doing cardio while on a running hiatus I don't see any significant decline in my performance. In fact I am always prepared for it and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.
    That wouldn't help the OP though; changing one high calorie burning activity to another.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like this thread since I live in Phoenix and the heat is reaching 119 this week, it's been very difficult to keep up with my running. I am hoping if I can squeeze one or two short morning runs in a week I won't lose too much of my progress. I also do cardio indoors (dance and stationary bike) so I am hoping to stay strong enough to hit it hard again when things cool down.

To the OP, I would suggest some high calorie drinks if you are having trouble eating enough, I could drink my weight in grape juice if it wouldn't make me gain LOL! :)
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I would suggest some high calorie drinks if you are having trouble eating enough, I could drink my weight in grape juice if it wouldn't make me gain LOL! :)

DRINKS! Bahah, you're a genius! I don't know why that hadn't even crossed my mind. I haven't had liquid calories in ages. Juice aisle, here I come!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Some runners have their best race of their life after taking the month off before a race due to injury.

You really won't lose anything if you take a month off, or just majorly back off for a month.
    That's what I'm thinking. I run my best times after a layoff. Weightlifters (I do that too) recognize the need for the body to rest and recover, why don't more runners?