One chance on my own thread to help that all im giving

Options
ServeJesus2008
ServeJesus2008 Posts: 222 Member
I started bulking 2-3 weeks ago been doing protein shakes eating more protein. Have a good friend who is kind of personal training me to bulk up. He gave me deadlifts, squats, and overhead press to start out and increase weights by 10 every new week. He told me
It a 12 week program im doing. So far i started at 164 am up too 166. Is there anything im missing or any changes need to be done becaus i do see results just want to know of there anything else??

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's very and trial and error but the feed back is the truth. Honestly if you're eating in s small surplus and lifting and you're seeing gain then you're on the right path.

it's a difficult process b/c it takes so much time- that's really the hardest process- patience.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You are lifting weights and getting larger, so far so good, but what are you asking about in particular? Add some bench press in there for a better balanced program. Would probably be better to get on a popular, proven program if you are not sure about your friend's program. Gain about 1/2 to 1 pound per week to minimize fat gain during your bulk. Hit a minimum 0.6 g/lb protein, 0.35 g/lb fat, and eat a good variety of nutrient-dense food to get your micros.
    Read this entire article; it is great:
    http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/
    Come back with any specific questions/concerns you may have.
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    I do bench press also i see gains im trying to get to 170-175lbs and cool i been gaining 0.5-1lbs a week which is awesome. Im working on trying to get to 200g of protein daily. Not easy task and i been remembering to breath in and out during work out big problem before i was not breathing right. Any more tips i need to know
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    I just hope im doing things right
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are actually following a program or just doing those lifts? Following a program will result in better gains than a few selected exercises. The progression of 5x5 programs and hypertrophy programs are built in a very specific way for maximal results.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I do bench press also i see gains im trying to get to 170-175lbs and cool i been gaining 0.5-1lbs a week which is awesome. Im working on trying to get to 200g of protein daily. Not easy task and i been remembering to breath in and out during work out big problem before i was not breathing right. Any more tips i need to know

200 grams is a bit of overkill. You'll probably do just fine on 150 grams. It would give you more carbs for fuel and more fats for hormonal recovery.
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    I been doing protein wise between 100-175g and result are showing the program im doing is from good friend who personal trainer and he plans to give me more workouts soon to add to three to four im at. But im seeing gains like literally happy
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Okay, what else are you wanting from the community at this point? We could offer suggestions on lifting programs, but you are following the advice of your friend. We could offer nutrition advice, but your weight increase seems good for now. I think my only question for you is what is your height, weight and approximate body fat? Bulking isn't the right approach for most people and a new lifter will make gains while cutting.
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    Im 6'2 weigh 166 body fat along time ago was 17% id say now possible 19-20%
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    I been lifting for 5 years got toned had trainer there give me program did it till friend gave me new one but with old one i was increasing for Last 4-5 months
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Your body fat is high and your weight is low for your height. This indicates very low lean body mass. You can stand to put on weight, but you should try to keep your weight gain very low due to the higher body fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Your body fat is high and your weight is low for your height. This indicates very low lean body mass. You can stand to put on weight, but you should try to keep your weight gain very low due to the higher body fat.

this
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    I do keep my body weight gain low it not much when i do gain and i do go to gym 2-3 times a week my friend just told me to do more proteins in diet less carbs amd fats
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I do keep my body weight gain low it not much when i do gain and i do go to gym 2-3 times a week my friend just told me to do more proteins in diet less carbs amd fats

Honestly, I think you need a program written by a professional that has you lifting more like 3-5 days per week. For having been lifting 5 years you should weigh more or have lower body fat. I know your friend is trying to help you, but what they currently have you doing is not the most effective use of your time and the progression is not efficient.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Honestly, I think you need a program written by a professional that has you lifting more like 3-5 days per week. For having been lifting 5 years you should weigh more or have lower body fat. I know your friend is trying to help you, but what they currently have you doing is not the most effective use of your time and the progression is not efficient.

This. She's right..
  • usmcmp
    Options
    For reference: I'm a female that is 5'9" and my lean body mass is 153 pounds. I started lifting fall of 2012, so only 3 years now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    You want to put on mass, you HAVE to train that way. High volume (16 sets per body part minimum) reps between 6-12 and using as much weight as you can possible with a spot on the last rep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    Been doing more sets repshigher weights forst yesr of working out i was doing it all wrong thek was on amd off for 2-3 years only the last year i really started gettingg committed to it and i have high metabalism with adhd
  • ServeJesus2008
    Options
    And this year i started breathing right ive always had low body fat im up to 4-5 sets so far im not trying to do body building just bulking to get arms abs chest legs bigger just not bodybuilding
  • usmcmp
    Options
    And this year i started breathing right ive always had low body fat im up to 4-5 sets so far im not trying to do body building just bulking to get arms abs chest legs bigger just not bodybuilding

If you're lifting to get bigger you're bodybuilding. It's okay that you don't want to compete, but at this point you should consider working towards training like a bodybuilder. It takes many years to even get close to being a competitive bodybuilder. Their programs are effective, which is why we are suggesting following a program and not what your friend is saying.