Calories that the app tells me, suspect is not correct!!!

Hi everyone have been using this app for a while now, really to log in and see daily what I am eating. However I'm 5'1" and 8 stone and am verily happy with this. I work out 4 times a week and have a very physical job. My Calories say 1,880 a day. Surely that is not correct?? Can any one throw some light on this for me? Thanks Karen.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Try it for four weeks and report back - that's the only way you will really know. Any and every method of estimating your goal is just an estimate, a reasonable starting point.

By the way your goal is 1880 + exercise calories not just 1880 calories.

2000 is sometimes stated as average calorie amount for a woman but you are smaller than average but conversely sounds like you are far more active than average.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    It may be correct. I am 5 even and around 100 pounds. I am probably lightly active for my job and I work out. I eat around 2,000 calories a day (exercise is included in this number).

Just curious - do you feel like this is too many calories or not enough? Have you been maintaining this weight without counting calories? If you have been I would suggest just eat like you normally do for the next month and log the calories without having a goal in mind. At the end of the month figure out what your average daily calorie intake is. That number would be approximately what you need to eat to maintain your weight
  • karenstay1
    karenstay1 Posts: 25 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Try it for four weeks and report back - that's the only way you will really know. Any and every method of estimating your goal is just an estimate, a reasonable starting point.

By the way your goal is 1880 + exercise calories not just 1880 calories.

2000 is sometimes stated as average calorie amount for a woman but you are smaller than average but conversely sounds like you are far more active than average.

So where has the 1880 calories figure come from??? Is it because of my height and weight?? I know because of physical my workouts and my job that 1880 is definitely to low!!
  • karenstay1
    bioklutz wrote: »
    It may be correct. I am 5 even and around 100 pounds. I am probably lightly active for my job and I work out. I eat around 2,000 calories a day (exercise is included in this number).

Just curious - do you feel like this is too many calories or not enough? Have you been maintaining this weight without counting calories? If you have been I would suggest just eat like you normally do for the next month and log the calories without having a goal in mind. At the end of the month figure out what your average daily calorie intake is. That number would be approximately what you need to eat to maintain your weight

I would like to know where the 1880 figure has come from?? How can I change it?? Because 1880 is definitely not enough considering my weekly work out and just how physical my weekly work load is!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    1880 comes from your height, weight and daily non-exercise level you indicated to MFP. Then you add in exercise calories on top of that and eat them. So 1880 would be your minimum calories without exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If you'd rather not vary based on exercise each day, try a TDEE calculator and input a custom goal. Anything you put in will need to be trial and error, though, depending on results.

Here's a good TDEE calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    1880 includes your work activity, but not your exercise. If you are exercising, you need to eat those back as well. If you prefer to have a set daily target, follow the link provided by lemurcat12. The MFP calculator does not factor in exercise burns, just daily activity levels, height, weight, and age. Both of these, provide and estimate based on averages. If your results indicate that you are losing, increase your daily goal. Real world experience is the best indicator of need.
  • sijomial
    karenstay1 wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »

I would like to know where the 1880 figure has come from?? How can I change it?? Because 1880 is definitely not enough considering my weekly work out and just how physical my weekly work load is!!

Remember 1880 + exercise calories not just 1880 calories....

It's a standard formula with a multiplier for the activity setting you selected (highly active?).
    I assume you selected "maintain current weight"?

If you want to change it then go to your home page, then goals, then manually change your calorie goal.

• karenstay1
    sorry sijomial it is not possible to change manually the calories!!!!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Yeah you can. On the site and on the app it's under the "goals" tab.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Meh...I'm 5'4", 130 lbs, lightly active. 1800 is my TDEE. You're shorter and lighter so I'd say 1800 sounds not too low at all.
  • sijomial
    sorry sijomial it is not possible to change manually the calories!!!!!

It is.
    Are you using phone app or web version?
    Use the web version.
  • karenstay1
    No either way just can not change the 1880!! Which is really anyone an going to look at other apps as i think not being able to change the 1880 is rideculous!!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    On the website go to "My Home" and then "Goals". You can edit your calorie intake and macros.
  • karenstay1
    aritarose i have tried that and there is no way you can edit your calorie intake!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    aritarose i have tried that and there is no way you can edit your calorie intake!!!

On the line that says daily nutrition goals, there is a green button which says edit. (on the website)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Many of us have custom calorie goals setup here. If you're not able to, you should file a report with tech support because it's some kind of glitch. The system should allow it.

• nutmegoreo
    edited November 2015
    Repeat post. Computer lag. :disappointed:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    You change your goals on the web-page by clicking

MY HOME

Find Goals on the line right below that one that includes MY HOME

You will see a page with Daily Nutrition Goals show up.

To the right of those words is a button labeled Edit which you click

That pulls up a page where you can manually enter your calorie goal.

When you change that a Save Changes button will show up at the bottom of the web page. Click it to save you new calorie goal.