Calories that the app tells me, suspect is not correct!!!

2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    To change calorie goal on the android app.

Select the three horizontal lines in the top left corner which will pull up a list of the various sections.

Select Goals

About halfway down under Nutrition Goals you will see Calories and Macronutrient Goals. Select that.

Touch your calorie goal number which is in blue which will pull up a window where you can type your new goal in.

Choose save, and you have changed your goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP what did you put in as your goal? Lose weight? Maintain?

As others have said it is definitely possible to enter a custom goal but even still, you should be able to double check the goal that MFP provided you by making sure that your height, weight, and current activity level, as well as your goal and rate of loss are entered accurately.
  • karenstay1
    karenstay1 Posts: 25 Member
    yes WinoGelato everything is entered accurately, but 1880 is to low!!
  • karenstay1
    rileyowner, bless you, done it, many thanks :-)
  • WinoGelato
    karenstay1 wrote: »
    yes WinoGelato everything is entered accurately, but 1880 is to low!!

Too low for what? Maintenance? I assume so because you said you were happy for your weight. What did you put in as your activity level? Are you planning to start tracking your food intake?

I don't doubt that at 5'1 and 8 stone your maintenance level could be higher, I'm 5'2 and weigh 123 and my maintenance is about 2300 according to FitBit, but MFP tells me my non exercise level (active setting) is 1880 and I eat back the adjustments that I get from FitBit.

Just depends how you want to use the system (logging and eating back exercise calories or using a TDEE approach where all of them are factored in). If you believe it should be higher, what are you basing that on? How much higher?
  • karenstay1
    I have an incredibly physical job 40 hrs a week Monday to Friday and I also have 4 gym sessions a week (1 with personal trainer) I put high activity level.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I have an incredibly physical job 40 hrs a week Monday to Friday and I also have 4 gym sessions a week (1 with personal trainer) I put high activity level.

But, as it has been mentioned several times, MFP doesn't include exercise. So your 1880 would be baseline, then you add your additional exercise for the days you workout.

It doesn't seem unreasonable.

What is your job?
  • WinoGelato

So what do you believe is a more accurate total calorie level for you? How much of that do you think is strictly exercise vs what you burn in your daily activity?

• karenstay1

But, as it has been mentioned several times, MFP doesn't include exercise. So your 1880 would be baseline, then you add your additional exercise for the days you workout.

It doesn't seem unreasonable.

What is your job?

I am a Self Employed Landscape Gardener, I work 51 weeks of the year. My work involves heavy lifting, and using heavy machinery daily. So although i said high activity im not sure that it allows this sort of physical activity 5 days a week!!1 I understand that my gym sessions are seperate.
  • karenstay1
    My burn in my daily activity is very high!!!
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    If you want MFP to give you the TDEE amount you will need to enter it manually.
    you could use scooby calculator to work this out and adjust as required after a couple of weeks.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Real life results trump any calculator. If you are losing weight defiantly up your calories.

Is that picture you? You have fantastic arms! It is hard to tell from the picture but you may have a lower body fat % which on top of your job will also call for more calories.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Try putting your numbers into Scooby to get an idea for your TDEE. It'll show what goes into the calculations. MFP burns for exercise calories are notoriously high. Most people recommend you only eating back half what MFP estimates you burned during exercise.
  • karenstay1
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Real life results trump any calculator. If you are losing weight defiantly up your calories.

Is that picture you? You have fantastic arms! It is hard to tell from the picture but you may have a lower body fat % which on top of your job will also call for more calories.

no I am staying at a steady 8 stone and am happy with that. yes the photo is me taken a couple of months ago, yes the upper body has to be strong and after 14 years of gardening I guess the muscles develop quite well!!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2015
    My burn in my daily activity is very high!!!

Just take the 1880 cals and eat back all exercise cals. I'm active at 5ft 2 and my TDEE is 2300. Try the Scooby calculator as already been mentioned. That will give you a better idea of your actual TDEE. That figure will include all exercise so you would eat to that number to maintain.

It takes a bit of trial and error finding TDEE.

I think it's a shame you only take 1 week holiday in the year though :/ I love having 6 weeks...
  • karenstay1
    Well you are very fortunate in having 6 weeks a year, when you are self employed and have a mortgage and if you don't work you don't get paid then 6 weeks Un paid holiday simply won't pay the mortgage!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Well you are very fortunate in having 6 weeks a year, when you are self employed and have a mortgage and if you don't work you don't get paid then 6 weeks Un paid holiday simply won't pay the mortgage!!

ahh you are right, having bills means working more/taking less hols is a needs must...one of the drawbacks to being self employed unfortunately :/ and my 6 weeks are paid by the firm I work to, so I'm just one of the lucky ones I guess.