So... Fruit will make me FAT?

Options
I was told yesterday that eating fruit will make me fat. This really surprised me. I don't know if I am just uneducated about the subject or simply new at this.

I was told that eating fruit, which has a high amount of carbohydrates and sugar in it will cause the body to store it as fat if that energy is not used up - indeed making me the big F word (fat).

Please someone explain this to me. I am ALWAYS over on my sugar because I really do eat a lot of fruit. It keeps me full, its delicious and I thought it was healthy! I would hate to have to cut it out but it seems that if I have one piece of fruit, like an apple, I am automatically way over my sugar.

I really do not want to sound stupid. Of course I know that fruit won't automatically make me obese. I just want to know that if I am way over my sugar from all the fruits, is that going to slow my weight loss in the long run.

Replies

• arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much of anything it can affect weight gain.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1) Sugar counts on this database are not always correct

2) Eat your fruit stay within your caloires and you won't get fat.

3) A lot of people really overcomplicate the process, eat at a deficit and you will lose weight, not really fast and not linearly but you will lose weight
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i love fruit but i always include the cals into my daily cal count as sum fruits have more than you would think
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Prolonged caloric surpluses cause fat accumulation. Fruit, within a hypocaloric diet, does not.

So if you're eating a caloric surplus and getting fatter, it's the diet in its entirety causing the fat gain rather than some evil singular food item. I would stop listening to your carbophobic friend.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Prolonged caloric surpluses cause fat accumulation. Fruit, within a hypocaloric diet, does not.

So if you're eating a caloric surplus and getting fatter, it's the diet in its entirety causing the fat gain rather than some evil singular food item. I would stop listening to your carbophobic friend.

Listen to the man with the pretty abs. He knows what he's talking about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes...everyone knows that too many apples and bananas are what has lead to the obesity epidemic...never mind the 32 Oz big gulp.

/sarcasm

Here's the thing...weight loss, maintenance, and weight gain is all science...namely, the laws of thermodynamics. Calories are energy...if you burn more energy (calories) than you consume, you lose weight. If you burn the same as you consume, you maintain...if you consume more than your body can burn, you gain. It has nothing to do with sugar or carbs or fat or any of that ****, the one caveat being medical conditions like diabetes or PCOS, etc...but barring that, it doesn't matter.

Fruit is extremely good for the body and anyone telling you otherwise is full of ****.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Excess calories will make you fat. Fruit can be very calorically dense. Other wise no, not one food will make you fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was told yesterday that eating fruit will make me fat. This really surprised me. I don't know if I am just uneducated about the subject or simply new at this.

I was told that eating fruit, which has a high amount of carbohydrates and sugar in it will cause the body to store it as fat if that energy is not used up - indeed making me the big F word (fat).

Please someone explain this to me. I am ALWAYS over on my sugar because I really do eat a lot of fruit. It keeps me full, its delicious and I thought it was healthy! I would hate to have to cut it out but it seems that if I have one piece of fruit, like an apple, I am automatically way over my sugar.

HELP

Eating fat would make you fatter
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    yes, if you eat so much fruit that you go soaring up over your calorie goal you will gain wieght, because fruit is the debil . . . actually that will happen with any food in excess . . . maybe all foodz is the debil.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Yes. But only if you eat this many fruit:

87792022.8rKOsYBx.jpg
  • ewdesign85
    ewdesign85 Posts: 28
    Options
    stop-the-insanity-o_zps1512a762.gif
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

HELP

Eating fat would make you fatter

that would just make me irregular.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Take in more calories than your TDEE and you will gain weight. It doesn't matter whether that's fruit, vegetables, cake, chips or anything else.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Anything will make you fat if you don't use up the energy. Fortunately, your body is using energy around the clock.

As long as you're in a caloric deficit, the fruit won't hurt you.

I don't track sugar.
  • MLBuddecke
    MLBuddecke Posts: 13
    Options
    I find that a few pieces of fruit will put me way over on the sugars, but I am keeping within my calories and I am slowly losing weight. I even do an occasional fruit day, as a purge (once every couple of weeks) I wouldn't worry about it, if you are eating a balanced diet, and sticking to your calories, you will be fine.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes, anything can make you fat if you eat too much of it. Fruit, however, is a complicated issue.

The sugar is fruit is fructose which can only be processed in the liver whereas most other sugars can be processed by other organs as well. Too much fructose results in excess adipose tissue production and fatty liver disease. More of fructose goes directly to fat than other sugars.

On the other hand, fruits are high in vitamins and minerals. Whole fruits are high in fiber. Eating limited servings of complete fruit per day is "good for you" in balance. Drinking filtered fruit juice removes the fiber and thus is more of a hit to the liver. Too much fructose can also interrrupt communication to the brain that controls hunger. More sugar indeed makes you hungrier for more sugar.

For more information on this, watch "The Skinny on Obesity," a series of short videos from University of California Television ( and also the university guest lecture "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

And, no, no matter what the corn industry says, not all sugars are the same.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I agree with him ^
    I eat a LOT of fruit, especially bananas. And grapes. And pineapples. And apples. :wink:
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Eat 35000 cals worth of fruit + another 35000 cals worth of fruit!
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing. The statement, "Eating fruit will make me fat," is too vague.

If you're eating 5,000 calories worth of fruit each day and are not consuming enough protein or fats to complement the rest of your diet you're going to be unhealthy (weight aside for a moment). You need to find a happy medium. Currently the recommendations for fruit intake leave more than enough room to have a couple of pieces of fruit each and every day without being seriously concerned about weight gain.

Unless you have a dietary condition that makes your body handle sugar in an odd way having a moderate intake of fruit, with a simultaneously balanced diet, will not make you gain weight.