So... Fruit will make me FAT?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, anything can make you fat if you eat too much of it. Fruit, however, is a complicated issue.

The sugar is fruit is fructose which can only be processed in the liver whereas most other sugars can be processed by other organs as well. Too much fructose results in excess adipose tissue production and fatty liver disease. More of fructose goes directly to fat than other sugars.

On the other hand, fruits are high in vitamins and minerals. Whole fruits are high in fiber. Eating limited servings of complete fruit per day is "good for you" in balance. Drinking filtered fruit juice removes the fiber and thus is more of a hit to the liver. Too much fructose can also interrrupt communication to the brain that controls hunger. More sugar indeed makes you hungrier for more sugar.

For more information on this, watch "The Skinny on Obesity," a series of short videos from University of California Television ( and also the university guest lecture "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

And, no, no matter what the corn industry says, not all sugars are the same.

Dr LOLstig?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, It's the fruit. It has always been the fruit.
  • ambex
    ambex Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, eating fruit 'could' make you fat. But you would have to eat an incredible amount of it to do so. One important thing to keep in mind is what KIND of sugar you are intaking. If it is natural sugar from fruit then your body will process it much more easily than if it is the modified crap sugar because our bodies are designed to process real sugar, not the crappy modern sugar.

Of course the math makes it simple, if you intake more calories than you burn the end result will be that you gain weight.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Yes, anything can make you fat if you eat too much of it. Fruit, however, is a complicated issue.

The sugar is fruit is fructose which can only be processed in the liver whereas most other sugars can be processed by other organs as well. Too much fructose results in excess adipose tissue production and fatty liver disease. More of fructose goes directly to fat than other sugars.

On the other hand, fruits are high in vitamins and minerals. Whole fruits are high in fiber. Eating limited servings of complete fruit per day is "good for you" in balance. Drinking filtered fruit juice removes the fiber and thus is more of a hit to the liver. Too much fructose can also interrrupt communication to the brain that controls hunger. More sugar indeed makes you hungrier for more sugar.

For more information on this, watch "The Skinny on Obesity," a series of short videos from University of California Television ( and also the university guest lecture "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

And, no, no matter what the corn industry says, not all sugars are the same.

If you are eating at a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter at all how the sugar is processed, or even if the sugar will be stored as fat, because in a caloric deficit, that stored fat will be burned off later in the day. For example, if all I ate for the entire day was granulated sugar, but I only ate 2000 calories of granulated sugar for the day(2500 TDEE), then at the end of the day, I will have a net fat loss. Moral of the story, don't freak out about people over complicating things, if you eat in a caloric deficit and hit your protein and fat minimums, IT DOES NOT MATTER!
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of it and I'm happy with my progress.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I work with a doctor who says apples are equivalent to a snickers bar. *eye roll*
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options

This is why I'm grateful I avoid fruit and eat McDonald's daily. Gotta take care of yourself, ya know?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This is why I'm grateful I avoid fruit and eat McDonald's daily. Gotta take care of yourself, ya know?

We need to treat our bodies like the temples they are! Good for you!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    In light of all that has come out of MFP the last few days about the dangers of fruit, I think we should form a protest, and petition McDonald's and similar restaurants to immediately remove the fruit options from their kids meals.

tumblr_m7dwv6PH7N1qaa34so1_500.jpg
  • imaloverkayla
    Options
    Prolonged caloric surpluses cause fat accumulation. Fruit, within a hypocaloric diet, does not.

So if you're eating a caloric surplus and getting fatter, it's the diet in its entirety causing the fat gain rather than some evil singular food item. I would stop listening to your carbophobic friend.

Listen to the man with the pretty abs. He knows what he's talking about.

Lol always listen to the man with the pretty abs. Fruit will not make you fat, it's a perfect easy snack. People take this no carb thing way too far.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options

We need to treat our bodies like the temples they are! Good for you!

Hey! I even had an NSV the other day! I woke up and craved ZERO fruit! I made a mad dash to McDonald's and had two Sausage McMuffins.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that the fruit is making you fat, however I did a trial and error to decide which fruits reacted with body and caused a gain or loss. I usually stay with the low glycemic fruits as I gained weight on the higher glycemic fruits. good luck
  • cjwarren12
    cjwarren12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this. Was just wondering about the sugar as well.
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm sure that's from the people who are scared to eat any carbs.

I have been eating a banana and a apple or peach or other type of fruit every day for the past month and I've lost almost 10#.

I did cut white flour noodles / rice /bread and potatoes from my diet and switched to whole wheat.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I work with a doctor who says apples are equivalent to a snickers bar. *eye roll*
    I'm not saying they're equivalent, but in terms of strictly sugar they can be sorta similar. A large apple has 20ish grams of sugar. A full size Snickers has 27 grams of sugar. I've learned that my body doesn't really notice much of a difference between the sugar in an apple and an equivalent amount of sugar in a Snickers bar, at least when it comes to my blood sugar readings.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people on here. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. And it's very hard to eat enough fruit to go over your deficit. Do you realize how much fruit you would have to eat to reach 2000 calories a day in fruit? You'd have to eat:

594 grapes
    35 1/2 cups honeydew
    19 cups mango
    42 1/2 small oranges
    24 1/2 cups pineapple
    2,000 raspberries
    520 medium strawberries

So it would be very hard to be able to eat 2000 calories of nothing but fruit.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Calories-Fresh-Fruit-8500460
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Yes. But only if you eat this many fruit:

87792022.8rKOsYBx.jpg

...... for lunch....... :laugh:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Fruit is nutritious. As long as you eat within calories you won't gain weight.

Don't live on it. Just be sure to get protein and essential fats too.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    anything can make you fat if you're over on calories.
  • ConquistadorTX
    ConquistadorTX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar counts on MFP. While calorie counts are important as long as you stay away from the refined sugars, you should be ok. Without going into detail about sucrose, fructose, and glucose, the simple rule of thumb is : naturally occuring sugars in fruits, veggies, or even honey are healthy sugars. Eat a balanced diet and you will be fine. My diet has been a little fruit heavy lately, but ive still dropped nearly 10lbs over the last week or so sticking with fruit, veggies, lean meats, low fat dairy and whole fiber.

One word of caution, fruit juice is healthy in moderation, ie 8 oz glass of OJ. But since juices don't fill you up, or keep you feeling full like actual fruit does, you can end up drinking away a lot of your calories on juice, where they might be better spent on actually fruit that is much more filling.