What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If any of you are in New England and near a Market Basket, their produce selection is really good. Lots of times I've been unable to find something at stores closer to me but can locate it at MB.

They have a decent variety of produce, but I tend not to buy my produce there because I rarely find good quality. Their produce is definitely better quality than Hannaford in my opinion, though. I tend to go to a little market or Shaw's for my produce.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had cheese curds....I always thought it was cottage cheese but in reading this thread, I guess it's not.

And I have not tried, nor do I intend to try, kefir. It does not appeal to me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Peas. Because I can't even stand the smell of them.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Ive never had a fast food beef burger e.g mcdonalds. I had the chicken burger though. Im really picky with food but i love any kind of vegetable. Not keen on perfumed fruit e.g passion fruit, star fruit, papaya, mango or any melon. I hate fish and seafood and game is too strong for me.
    It does suprise people that i ate my sisters placenta. I cleaned and preped it and ate some raw. I made a casserole with the rest. It was lovely: tender. Kind of springy with a faint liverish aftertaste. It was nicest raw imo. Weird.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Beets, Persimmons, Dates, Cherries, Cranberries, Elderberries, Fig, Guava, Quince, Rhubarb.....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Beets, Persimmons, Dates, Cherries, Cranberries, Elderberries, Fig, Guava, Quince, Rhubarb.....

I tried my first persimmon a couple days ago and FREAKED OUT. Mouth invasion. Texture was insane. I kept eating it though because it tasted like a gummy bear but I would shiver between each bite.

• c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My parents never let me have super sugary cereals as a kid so I've never tried Cookie Crisp, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, or Trix. I never really had the desire to try them as I got older because I already had cereals I really liked.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I tried my first persimmon a couple days ago and FREAKED OUT. Mouth invasion. Texture was insane. I kept eating it though because it tasted like a gummy bear but I would shiver between each bite.

They need to be just the right ripeness if you want to avoid that "pulling" or "astringent" feeling in your mouth.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i won't try veal nor buy it or cook it for my hubby who loves it, knowing it's from a baby animal is why.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

Just for fun ... are we allowed to post these things here?

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/fruits-and-veggies-etc

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/huffington-posts-list-of-50-healthiest-foods

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

did not even know lots of those fruits & veggies existed but, had i seen most of those purple ones, i would of tried them just because they were purple! i got 87/150 and 38/50. at least half 0f the 87 i have only had once or twice.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    i won't try veal nor buy it or cook it for my hubby who loves it, knowing it's from a baby animal is why.
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

did not even know lots of those fruits & veggies existed but, had i seen most of those purple ones, i would of tried them just because they were purple! i got 87/150 and 38/50. at least half 0f the 87 i have only had once or twice.

I bought purple cauliflower because it looked cool, but once I steamed it, it looked so gross! I ate it anyway, but it was funny how weird it looked.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

121/150 out of the first list, but I have never seen in real life the missing items.
    45/50 out of the second list and the missing items are too exotic/expensive for me to try, or to know how to eat.