What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lost post and then double posted.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I am pretty adventurous when it comes to food, only thing I can think of I would never try, would be freaky meats (dog, Guinea pig, monkey... You get the gist)

Yeah, this is how I am (I know some of this is culturally determined, but it affects me).

Reminds me that a friend of mine was traveling in Peru and saw the Last Supper painting in Cusco Cathedral with the cuy (guinea pig). She asked about it and was told "well, it was an important meal, of course they would have cuy!"

(Don't think it's actually kosher, though.)

bdvf92eoq8nm.jpg

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh someone mentioned one. I have not had cheese curds. I don't know how common that is though.
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Condiments such as ketchup, mayo etc.
  • Calmquiet
    Calmquiet Posts: 39 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The only meats I have ever eaten are poultry, fish and octopus which means I've never had pig, cow or any other common red meats or seafood. I'm a very picky eater, however I've at least tried most general foods I can think of around where I live in America. Oh and I remembered, I've never had coffee or tea before even though those aren't foods.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Can't think of anything common to my region that I haven't at least tasted. I'll try almost anything once, and if it's unusual (to me) and sounds interesting I'll jump in with both feet (tacos el pulpo anyone)?

Oh, wait. I was wrong. There are lots of types of alcoholic drinks I haven't tried. I think this year is the time I've tried rye whisky, for example. Enjoyed it, too. I'm not much of a drinker.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I will eat almost anything, except for jellied eels or tripe - NO THANK YOU!! My mum used to cook tripe for my dad, and jellied eels were a big treat for my parents but both dishes always grossed me out.

Hmmmm now I think about it, I really don't like hamburgers. I cook them for my family but I usually find something else for myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Can't think of anything common to my region that I haven't at least tasted. I'll try almost anything once, and if it's unusual (to me) and sounds interesting I'll jump in with both feet (tacos el pulpo anyone)?

Oh, wait. I was wrong. There are lots of types of alcoholic drinks I haven't tried. I think this year is the time I've tried rye whisky, for example. Enjoyed it, too. I'm not much of a drinker.

Mmm. Bulleit rye is my drink of choice. Can't drink much anymore though.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    tofu.
    Is that even a real thing ? :)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've never had any type of dressing on a salad before. I grew up eating pretty unhealthy stuff, so therefore never really ate salad at all. Once I got to the age and mentality of wanting to eat healthier, I began to eat salad, but always opted out of getting dressing because I always heard how caloric it was and saw how much sodium it had per 2 tbsp. Honestly, if I wanted to give myself the calories I could, but I don't see the point when other topping like cheese and bacon are just as good and actually offer protein, too. Never had dressing, I don't know what I'm missing, and I don't care to find out xD
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am quite a picky eater ... I have a list of "dislikes" when it comes to food.

But that said, I have actually tried a whole bunch of different foods.

I've had steak ... way too much of it, and if I never have steak again it will be too soon.
    I've had liver ... and don't mind it. It's OK.
    I've had lamb ... and nope. Not a favourite.
    I've had seafood ... some I like, some I don't. But I've never had calamari, or oysters (that's a really common one around here, but I just ... can't), or lobster, or octopus.
    I've had haggis ... which was better than I thought it would be. But I've never had steak and kidney pie or black pudding. I took a sniff of a steak and kidney pie once, and just couldn't, and I watched a friend eat a black pudding ... and just couldn't.

I have had tacos ... and would live on them if I could. They're my favourite food. Actually Mexican food in general is a favourite of mine.

Poutine is great. I am Canadian, after all. :grin:

I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Oh yes oysters, bleh! My sister is a bio-chemist, and after telling me about the parasites and bacteria in them, even though I had no interest before, now you couldn't pay me to eat them, especially raw!
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Most seafood
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Ive never had a poptart or red velvet cake and im pretty sure id love both lol

Eh, red velvet cake is just cake with red food dye and cocoa, so no need to bucket list it :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/dining/red-velvet-cake-from-gimmick-to-american-classic.html
  • Monketo2002
    Monketo2002 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers...

They are just so gross
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Former roommate ate nattō frequently. It was a common item in the apartment after shopping sprees at the Japanese market in Chicago.

Hilarious watching a large polish man order nattō from the older Japanese clerks in the food court. They'd always ask if he was sure? Did he understand what he was ordering? Tickled them to see him eating it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

Just for fun ... are we allowed to post these things here?

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/fruits-and-veggies-etc

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/huffington-posts-list-of-50-healthiest-foods

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Just for fun ... are we allowed to post these things here?

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/fruits-and-veggies-etc

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/huffington-posts-list-of-50-healthiest-foods

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

The first one I got 50/150, I'm in the bottom 1%.

The second on I got 36/50, which is slightly better at the bottom 13%.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I can't say I haven't tried it at all. I think I let the very tip of my tongue touch it once and said "Nope!", but... sushi. Do not want!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat most anything I don't care for some things like lima beans and salmon eggs. Tripe has an interesting mouth feel but it's not a steady diet item. I've eaten most common birds like chicken, turkey, pigeon, dove, duck, goose, quail, grouse, ostrich, pheasant, ptarmigan but I've never had any exotic ones.