So upset with my body

Options
2»

Replies

• entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First step - plan! Make it doable, realistic, something that is within your power to do TODAY. The longest journey begins with one step. Google SMART goals, draw one up for yourself, and have a think about the barriers that you will meet -physical, social, emotional, mentsl - and think of ways to overcome them. Good luck, you can do it!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    natalse wrote: »
    Due to three surgeries and heart disease I went from 150 lbs of mostly muscle to 190 lbs of fat in the past two years. I am not sure where to start with my weight loss journey because it seems so overwhelming. When I look at myself in the mirror, I can't see me anymore. Can someone please give me some starting tips?

Are you able to do cardio exercise?

Many heart conditions can benefit greatly from cardio, but make sure to get your doctors green light before doing it. It also makes it easier to not go over your calories.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I tend to binge then restrict a lot. It's hard for me to start weight loss without a lot of restriction but I'll remember to be realistic and not try to lose it all in a couple weeks like I've done before. Thank you!!

The way I think about it:

1. I'm only going to be working at losing weight for so long (probably another year or so for me). I'm going to be working at keeping it off for a lifetime. I want to use the next year to practice as much as I can at the habits that will keep me successful at keeping it off. Will I restrict my whole life? Hell no. Then I won't do it now either. I want the practice to be as close to the "real thing" as possible, or else it's not going to be effective practice.

2. Sure, it will take time, but in a year, I'll be one year older whether I lose weight or not. When I look back in a year, what would I rather look back upon?

3. I don't have to be perfect. One bad day doesn't make me fat any more than one good day makes me thin. I don't need a perfect score, I need to pass. Perfect is out - I won't be able to do it. I aim for good enough. If I sometimes miss my goals, well, unfortunate, but I can miss sometimes and still be good enough.

My only other big secret is planning my meals in advance. So much easier when I know what I'll be having for all meals of the day, and in fact already have my day logged before it even begins.
  • natalse
    natalse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I tend to binge then restrict a lot. It's hard for me to start weight loss without a lot of restriction but I'll remember to be realistic and not try to lose it all in a couple weeks like I've done before. Thank you!!

The way I think about it:

1. I'm only going to be working at losing weight for so long (probably another year or so for me). I'm going to be working at keeping it off for a lifetime. I want to use the next year to practice as much as I can at the habits that will keep me successful at keeping it off. Will I restrict my whole life? Hell no. Then I won't do it now either. I want the practice to be as close to the "real thing" as possible, or else it's not going to be effective practice.

2. Sure, it will take time, but in a year, I'll be one year older whether I lose weight or not. When I look back in a year, what would I rather look back upon?

3. I don't have to be perfect. One bad day doesn't make me fat any more than one good day makes me thin. I don't need a perfect score, I need to pass. Perfect is out - I won't be able to do it. I aim for good enough. If I sometimes miss my goals, well, unfortunate, but I can miss sometimes and still be good enough.

My only other big secret is planning my meals in advance. So much easier when I know what I'll be having for all meals of the day, and in fact already have my day logged before it even begins.

These are all really helpful. Especially #2. I like seeing fast results, which is why I restrict so much. And the worst part is that I've successfully lost a lot of weight extremely fast before. But when you put it like that, I guess a year isn't all that long. And I don't want to have to restrict forever to keep up with that type of dangerous lifestyle I was living before. I'll take your advice
  • natalse
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Due to three surgeries and heart disease I went from 150 lbs of mostly muscle to 190 lbs of fat in the past two years. I am not sure where to start with my weight loss journey because it seems so overwhelming. When I look at myself in the mirror, I can't see me anymore. Can someone please give me some starting tips?

Are you able to do cardio exercise?

Many heart conditions can benefit greatly from cardio, but make sure to get your doctors green light before doing it. It also makes it easier to not go over your calories.

I'm working with my cardiologist to figure out a safe way for me to do cardio. I have heart disease and walking uphill can cause my heart to reach 194 which is very dangerous. However, I'm on new medicine so, fingers crossed, I will be able to tolerate much more now
  • natalse
    Options
    Since you have a faced a lot of health challenges why not focus more on getting and feeling healthy and fit again instead of weight? Once you feel strong again then work on any weight that remains.

I think I'll lose weight by getting more healthy. My body isn't used to not exercising and eating unhealthily. The exercise was not under my control because of my heart condition and surgeries but I started eating badly and I'm now cleared to do some exercise so I'll start by doing a little every day and eliminating some bad foods a little bit at a time.
    Thanks!
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Healthy diet and normal exercise can help you reducing weight slowly.. Go slow it is good for your health, you need to take a balanced diet and avoid all high calorie and junk food..