December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Oh yeah. They were Irish car bomb cupcakes that I made on St. Patty's day. Chocolate Guiness cake filled with a Jameson chocolate ganache and Baily's frosting. They were stupid! And fun to make, as you might imagine ;)

I just printed off the recipe... it says 40 minutes prep time. That cannot be right. With all that booze, by the time I got to step 3, I would probably have forgotten what I did and would need to keep starting over. And by the time they were ready to be frosted, I would probably just say screw it and dip the cakes in the frosting bowl as I ate them.

Tequila Christmas cookies

BE SURE TO READ IT ALL – THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!

Tequila Christmas Cookies:
    1 cup of water
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 cup of sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup of brown sugar
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    4 large eggs
    1 cup nuts
    2 cups of dried fruit
    1 bottle tequila

Sample the tequila in a large glass to check quality.

Take a large bowl, and check the tequila again, to be sure it is of
    the highest quality. Pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again.

At this point, it’s best to make sure the tequila is still OK, so, try another cup.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit and the damn cup off the floor.

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the tequila to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Check the tequila.

Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.

Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don’t forget to beat off the turner.

Put the bowl through the window, finish off the booze and make sure to put the dirty stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS TO ALL!

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 ... Lol!! I'm pretty sure I have made those before... or something similar... can't quite remember...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. They were Irish car bomb cupcakes that I made on St. Patty's day. Chocolate Guiness cake filled with a Jameson chocolate ganache and Baily's frosting. They were stupid! And fun to make, as you might imagine ;)

I just printed off the recipe... it says 40 minutes prep time. That cannot be right. With all that booze, by the time I got to step 3, I would probably have forgotten what I did and would need to keep starting over. And by the time they were ready to be frosted, I would probably just say screw it and dip the cakes in the frosting bowl as I ate them.

Pretty much how it went down at my house!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-6.65mi build up run from 13:07-11:04
    2-strength and yoga day
    3-6.69mi fast run 11:40, technically. but reality is we have 5 min warm up and potty breaks for the dog
    4-rest day, maybe yoga day. feeling poopy
    5-13.17mi I was only scheduled for 11 but I was feeling so good at 9 miles I went on and decided to do a whole 13. I have to say a marathon isn't that scarey now.
    6-3.18mi for recovery and to do the Runkeeper Global 5k
    7-yoga
    8-rest day. so tired i'm dizzy. not sure why

exercise.png

sorry if this ends up as a double post. I thought i posted before in the morning but i cannot find it now
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 .... Is that really a picture of cupcakes and Jameson? Lol... some of my favorite running fuels..

Whaaaa? I missed that. Sounds like that could be my new favorite... I bet I could have one as midrun fuel?
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm in again...trying for 60 miles this month to finish out the year at 500 miles.

December 2 - 3.65 miles
    December 3 - 2.55 miles
    December 4 - 2.55 miles

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Okay - I'm thinking about accelerating my half-marathon, and doing the 16-Jan race as a HM. Here's my last few weeks of work:
    Miles/week - Hours/week - MPH
    28.1 - 5.89 - 4.77
    30.6 - 5.98 - 5.12
    35.6 - 7.04 - 5.06
    34.3 - 7.12 - 4.82
    26.1 - 5.29 - 4.93
    35.0 - 7.07 - 4.95
    36.0 - 6.81 - 5.29
    32.9 - 6.28 - 5.24
    36.3 - 6.98 - 5.20
    30.8 - 6.39 - 4.82

32.6 - 6.49 - 5.02

I've found a 6-week program for folks who already run a fair amount, and if I followed it strictly, I'd have to cut back on my running severely - like half until the end and still cut back to about 75%.

Is it reasonable for me to seriously consider a half at this stage of my running development? The last few weekends, I've done 15K-17K split up over a couple hours or so. So the distance isn't really (I think) an issue, but the endurance might be. Of course, the race I'm looking at is ALSO a full marathon, and there's a 6-hour cutoff for that, so there's plenty of time for me to finish, even at a slow snail's-pace.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @kareF When I posted this I thought of the symbolism - you beating Melanoma = Runner on an Uphill slope with a small heart at each end of it?
    Then realized that it might be in-appropriate and that your doctor might not be happy with ink over an area where you have had treatment so that's when I did the edit =
    Edited too add : Of course your Doctor might not like anything that could interfere with future exams.
    You came back with the same comment about your doctor not liking tats and your worry that they might be hiding something.
    Woops me bad - my heart was in a good place when I wrote it.
    I like your new profile image.

Oh I had a giggle, don't worry!! :smiley:
    A friend suggested a tattoo of a cotton reel and needle to look like the scar was being stitched up!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    12-5-15 / 3.25 of 35
    12-18-15/5.25 of 35

I didn't make it through Day 2 Week 8 today, my knee has been getting more and more painful, I thought it was the cold, but we warmed up quite a bit. Though we've had record breaking rain plus wind the last couple of days, it still felt like a Spring run. Anyways, I will get it next time!

I come here and feel overwhelmed, you all make this look so easy having conversations with each other here, I had troubles finding my own post. Lol! Maybe it's just my life being more overwhelming right now, December is a crazy time when you are a store owner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Becky_44 dont worry about. its about you and you're runs. we are just here to cheer you on
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    12-5-15 / 3.25 of 35
    12-18-15/5.25 of 35

I didn't make it through Day 2 Week 8 today, my knee has been getting more and more painful, I thought it was the cold, but we warmed up quite a bit. Though we've had record breaking rain plus wind the last couple of days, it still felt like a Spring run. Anyways, I will get it next time!

I come here and feel overwhelmed, you all make this look so easy having conversations with each other here, I had troubles finding my own post. Lol! Maybe it's just my life being more overwhelming right now, December is a crazy time when you are a store owner.

I'm not sure what kind of pain you're dealing with, but have you tried/looked into KT Tape? I used it last year when I did my first 15K race and my knee was feeling a little sore and unstable. It helped more than I would have ever imagined. Total flexibility and comfort (not like a brace), and just enough support to make me feel confident that my knee wouldn't give out. Maybe it was all in my head, but could be worth a shot if you're experiencing something similar.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/12 - 13.2 miles
    02/12 - 13.6 miles
    03/12 - 10.3 km
    04/12 - 13.6 miles
    05/12 - 10.4 km
    06/12 - 20.8 miles
    07/12 - 10.3 km
    08/12 - 13.4 miles

tot 152/500 km
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Got in a good 4 miles today. Felt bad the first mile, but then my IT band warmed up enough and stopped hurting. I had thought about cutting it short, but once it warmed up it was fine. :)

exercise.png
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    12-5-15 / 3.25 of 35
    12-18-15/5.25 of 35

I'm not sure what kind of pain you're dealing with, but have you tried/looked into KT Tape? I used it last year when I did my first 15K race and my knee was feeling a little sore and unstable. It helped more than I would have ever imagined. Total flexibility and comfort (not like a brace), and just enough support to make me feel confident that my knee wouldn't give out. Maybe it was all in my head, but could be worth a shot if you're experiencing something similar.

Thank you! I suppose it's a good thing that I've gotten far enough along again to have to start thinking about these things again! ;)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Can't run until at least Friday. Had a ganglion cyst removed from my wrist, doctor doesn't want me to run until dressing is removed so I can see the incision. Hate it because the weather is so nice
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    12-5-15 / 3.25 of 35
    12-18-15/5.25 of 35

Never underestimate the value of PT. Ive found it invaluable.

Also, It could be your IT band? My right bothers me occasionally. Careful with that knee!
  • GraceManko
    GraceManko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    12/3: 1.06 miles
    12/7: 1 mile
    12/8: 1 mile
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I have a feeling that you can easily manage a 60-70 km goal.
    @9voice9 HM - I believe you have the physical and mental endurance to complete a HM. Get a couple of continuous long runs in ( ~15km+ ) but watch out for the finish line its rumoured @lporter229 is serving Irish car bomb cupcakes. Chocolate Guiness cake filled with a Jameson chocolate ganache and Baily's frosting. B)
    @Becky_44 Cheering for you and your hard work. If you are looking for your own post try the search function.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=&title=&author=Becky_44&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=
    @skippygirlsmom Sorry to hear that a non-running injury is keeping you from running- especially when you are having good weather.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    6km run - Slow and easy 39 mins.

12/01 - 0.0 Km – 0.0km – 140.0 Km – – YTD – 514.4 km
    12/02 – 7.0 Km – 7.0km – 133.0 Km
    12/04 – 5.0 Km – 12.0km – 128.0 Km ( GP run with new kicks )
    12/04 – 7.0 Km – 19.0km – 121.0 Km ( Home run with old kicks )
    12/06 – 7.5 Km – 26.5km – 113.5 Km
    12/07 –10.5 Km – 37.0km – 103.0 Km
    12/08 – 6.0 Km – 43.0km – 97.0 Km – – YTD – 6.0 + 551.9 = 557.9Km

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1- 6.58 (warmup, speed work, cool down)
    12/2- extra rest day :(
    12/3- 6.40 easy
    12/4- 8.12 easy
    12/5-15.00 long slow run
    12/6-9.15 easy with hills
    12/7- planned rest day
    12/8- 8.29 easy

Total- 53.54
    Goal- none stated

Today's notes: Tuesday is speed work with the running club. I had got there late the last few times and not got as much of a warmup as I'd like, and thought that might have contributed to my glute/hamstring issue that surfaced after last week's speed work. Today I managed to get there early, and took a longer than normal warmup, 3.23 miles. The lap of drills was light because most of the club is tapering toward USATF championships in San Francisco next Sunday; but when that lap finished with a stride, I could feel my glute complaining even after that long warmup. So I wimped out and just added some easy distance. 5.05 more miles gets to my total of 8.29 for today. Maybe if it had been 20 degrees warmer (temp was near 40), the glute would have tolerated speed work; but right now, I'm taking things easy and waiting for that ache to clear up. I might not run hard again till a 5K on December 19.