December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Just curious .. Has anyone ever done any virtual runs on the internet?

I did one with runkeeper. a 5k and then a 10k challenge

Thanks for this! You know I cannot find an virtual run online that is happy to ship a medal to Australia!? Grr

I have done a Runkeeper challenge before and they offer a % off t-shirts for the challenge so I guess that is better than nothing.. I'll treat the cost of the shirt as an entry fee.... If I like the shirt enough! :lol:
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! You know I cannot find an virtual run online that is happy to ship a medal to Australia!? Grr

I have done a Runkeeper challenge before and they offer a % off t-shirts for the challenge so I guess that is better than nothing.. I'll treat the cost of the shirt as an entry fee.... If I like the shirt enough! :lol:

Did you look at US Road Running? They say they ship Internationally. As does Virtual Strides.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

me too. I just did the one for the Avicii shirt. not sure if I'll order the shirt or not. maybe. I did get the global 5k one. i thought that was cool.

I never thought of looking at the US Road Running site. I've never heard of virtual strides. I guess I'll be looking at those this week.
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

Did you look at US Road Running? They say they ship Internationally. As does Virtual Strides.

:open_mouth: looking now!!! :smiley:
    I can't seem to find a group in Australia that do it which is pretty crappy.. But I'll check those sites now!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I had a difficult time finishing just my drink let alone a pitcher! Someone would have to carry me to the bus!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @shanaber ... I love those Bailey-coladas... the pool bar at the Ocean Key in Key West makes them and between those and their kickin' rum runners, I am usually thoroughly lit before lunch....
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/1 - 0 blah day
    12/2 - 6.24 (2.66 lunch run + 3.58 dreadmill walk) Felt like an upside down turtle trying to make it thru quicksand. Felt super slow, sluggish, just awful. Later on the t-mill actually felt pretty good.
    12/3 - 2.83 Work lunch run...felt good. Not great. Seems like if I take more than 2 days off I lose something, like endurance or lung capacity, something.
    12/4 - 2.88 Lunch walk. It was gorgeous outside!
    12/5 - 5.25 Walked to neighborhood Walmart for greek yogurt and coffee creamer. Then drove back to get everything I forgot lol
    12/6 - Rest day. Letting the knee calm down.
    12/7 - Not feeling it.
    12/8 - Getting lazy.
    12/9 - 3.26 Lunch run. Beautiful day!
    12/10 - 3.29 Lunch run...gorgeous day!
    12/11 - 2.92 Fast walk at lunch. I dressed for the weather report. Shoulda known better! It was another drop dead GORGEOUS day. Tomorrow volunteering at Santa Stampede and will try to run the route when it's all over :smiley:
    12/12 - Volunteered at Santa Stampede. Mad respect for the ones running while it snows and accumulates on their lashes and nose hairs! I called it a rest day and stayed inside & cuddled with my cat.
    12/13 - 5.48 Day was too beautiful to let it go to waste. I did an exceptionally slow run for a solid 4.5 miles, but it was basically an accident. Was really only heading out for a walk but then I let myself do what my body wanted. The only reason I stopped is because I hadn't brought hydration with me and didn't want to have another bad "after run" experience.
    12/14 - 2.87 Treadmill. I didn't get my lunch break so I couldn't go out and love the sunshine and warm temps. We're supposed to get a lot of snow tomorrow. If I can tolerate the cold, I'll be running at lunch!
    12/15 - Lost my grip on my goals
    12/16 - Same as above
    12/17 - Same as above
    12/18 - Same as above
    12/19 - Started getting my head back on straight.
    12/20 - 6.39 Apartment treadmill. I'M BAAAACK!! And it's still possible for me to hit this month's goal which REALLY helped keep me going today :smiley:
    12/21 - 3.98 (1.38 + 2.6 lunch). First day of splitting miles. On the treadmill by 5:30am off by 6.
    **Biggest win of the month...I actually got UP and hit the treadmill! Seriously HUGE win for me!!!**
    12/22 - 4.73 (1.57 + 3.16 lunch walk/run) SECOND day of getting up early and hitting the treadmill! It was more of a struggle this morning than yesterday, but I did it. Apparently I really want to hit the goal this month lol.

I've also decided the treadmill may turn out to be beneficial in an unexpected way. The scenery never changes which is hell for me, BUT, it's a constant and even surface and that is really helping me to know which muscles are "out of balance". I run on the road almost 90% of the time and don't notice the uneven surface and how certain muscles are compensating for others or being shortened/lengthened because of the road. I can also play with my stride and cadence a lot better too because so many variables are removed. AND it's helping me figure out a hydration schedule. I'm feeling a lot better after a treadmill run since I started trying to determine how much water I need and when. Plus adding electrolytes seems to have alleviated quite a few issues. So, while the treadmill is NOT my first choice, I've decided not to hate it as much as I used to!

My ticker does not want to show the updated mileage info so I'm leaving it off of this post just to show it who's boss! Just tried it again and I win! It updated!

Upcoming Races for 2016
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids-not registered/waiting for Groupon
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile-Registered
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)-not registered
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon-not registered
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)-Registered
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half-Registered

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    12/22 - 4.73 (1.57 + 3.16 lunch walk/run) SECOND day of getting up early and hitting the treadmill! It was more of a struggle this morning than yesterday, but I did it. Apparently I really want to hit the goal this month lol.

Way to go! I find that even when I'm really, really not in the mood to run (and sometimes it can be a struggle) if I can just force myself to get out the door and get started, I'm always glad I did when I'm done.

• summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

12/01 5.08
    12/03 3.22
    12/05 2.96
    12/07 3.20
    12/11 5.16
    12/12 3.32
    12/14 6.06
    12/16 6.00
    12/19 3.16
    12/20 2.20 -> 40.40

I was supposed to run my 7-mile run yesterday but we found daughter having lice and doing a ton of laundry instead. Today, I am still working on more laundry and lice checking. :confounded: I just hope I would have the energy to run tomorrow...

exercise.png
  • Virkati
    Options
    @mom3over40 When my kids were younger and in school we had to deal with that too. Funny thing I noticed was that me and the kids got it but my husband (now ex) DIDN'T get lice. HE used Head and Shoulders because he had dandruff. After a couple of rounds of lice and not being able to get rid of them completely, the kids and I started using his shampoo. We did it for about 2 weeks and never had a lice problem again. If we got the notice from the school that there was an outbreak, we all switched to the Head and Shoulders and literally never dealt with it again. Don't know if that will help, but it worked for us.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @Virkati Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I will certainly look into it. I heard the smell of lavender and tea tree oil may repel the lice too. I am thinking to get new beddings as Christmas presents this year :sweat_smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 I know the hill into your complex, it's definitely a big one. I was just talking about the 10K hill today.

@kristinegift great job on that hill! When I run at Fort Rucker there is a hill, it's steep and must be a half mile or so long. It took me 3 times to finally be able to run the whole thing. Last time some Army guys riding bikes were watching me and when I got to the top they were yelling "you go you badass girl!". Made my day! I'm not a hill person by nature but it always feels good when you concur one.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Dec 2 - 4.3 km
    Dec 5 - 5 km (First ever 5 km without stopping!)
    Dec 7 - 4.5 km
    Dec 9 - 4.4 km
    Dec 12 - 5 km
    Dec 14 - 5.5 km
    Dec 16 - 4.3 km
    Dec 19 - 5 km
    Dec 20 - 0.5 km up a steep hill
    Dec 21 - 6 km (First ever!)
    Dec 23 - 4.4 km

Total: 46.9 km
    Goal: 70 km
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    I know I'm looking at HM's in July/August 2016, but I thought I would sign up for this HM training program in January anyway.. It is just a walk-run program so I figure, once I get up to 21.1km I can adjust it with more or less walking breaks each week. I also like how the 2 training days during the week are short - This fits in really well with school drop offs and pick ups during the week, leaving the longer runs for weekends :smiley:

qx66evb423sr.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I know I'm looking at HM's in July/August 2016, but I thought I would sign up for this HM training program in January anyway.. It is just a walk-run program so I figure, once I get up to 21.1km I can adjust it with more or less walking breaks each week. I also like how the 2 training days during the week are short - This fits in really well with school drop offs and pick ups during the week, leaving the longer runs for weekends :smiley:

qx66evb423sr.jpg

@runner_girl83 That sounds like a nice and sensible training program!

Do you have a link?
  • Virkati
    Options
    So my ticker is wrong. Damn! It would appear that I added this afternoon twice. Damn damn damn!
    @runner_girl83 What training program are you thinking of using? I'm searching for one myself and I really haven't any idea how to pick one.

Upcoming Races for 2016
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids-not registered/waiting for Groupon
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile-Registered
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)-not registered
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon-not registered
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)-Registered
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half-Registered

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

qx66evb423sr.jpg

@runner_girl83 That sounds like a nice and sensible training program!

Do you have a link?

https://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-half-marathon/5?parentTypeId=6
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @kristinegift (I may have only caught part of a conversation) There was an article on RW this week about hills. It mentioned a study that showed running the maximum incline on a treadmill (not sure what that is, mine goes to 15) takes less energy than walking it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/the-optimal-slope-for-running-uphill

Screenshot_2015-12-22-20-23-24_zpsgysqyhds.png

1-6.03
    2-1.02 TM
    3-10.01
    4-4.15 walk, per HM training plan
    5-7.23
    6-1.0 TM
    7-6.02
    8- migraine
    9-4.12
    10-5.37
    11-3.95 walk
    12- resting foot
    13-5.04
    14,15- resting extensor tendonitis
    16- rehab follow up. Travel.
    17-20 extensor tendonitis
    21-3.49
    22-3.47 walk.

55.52/90+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • runner_girl83
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @kimlight2 It is going to cost me $26.95 to do a virtual 10k race with US Road Running (and receive a medal)!!! That is fantastic!! Thanks so much! :smiley:

@moyer566 I did the Avicii challenge too but not really into the music :lol: Check out US Road Running... I am pretty chuffed that they ship medals to Australia and the selection of medals is really cool too