Body Fat Goal

Options
I've never put much thought into bf% until recently. My trainer measured me at an estimated 34.4% body fat a couple weeks ago and I almost fell out of my chair. I'm at a normal bmi and that's only getting better as I lose some extra weight, so we decided to use bf% as a goal. I'm small framed (but curvy) and super low muscle, so I'm pretty much all bone and fat. Lovely. Right now Im focusing on losing fat and preserving muscle, then building it up.

So anyway, I hold to the idea that a specific, identifiable goal is key to success, especially for me. I can't work from "I want to get in shape" or "I want to drop a few pounds." I need a definite goal.

My problem is that I don't know what a reasonable body fat percentage would be (reasonable meaning it won't take 4 years to reach or a life-sucking amount of work to maintain.) 20% maybe?

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    image.jpg

By the way, I was kind of looking at this for an idea about the changes. Obviously none of them look exactly like me, but it's still a reference.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say because there are variation in looks even at similar bodyfat percentages. 20% is lean. If I recall up to 25% is healthy.

I can't link pics because I'm on my phone but here are some links to give you and idea

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

I can't find her other post but I'm sure someone will post it.

Why not aim for a number the. Reevaluate when you get there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    image.jpg

By the way, I was kind of looking at this for an idea about the changes. Obviously none of them look exactly like me, but it's still a reference.

Yeah that was the pic I was looking for.
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    My body fat is 19.3% and my goal is to be 15%. I started lifting back in September and I was at about 24%, so in other words it doesn't take years to reach your bodyfat at least for me:smile:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want to shoot for, pick a picture and go for it. BTW, somatotypes are completely made up

2ugmdkz.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Playing the visual game I'm probably a little under 30% (I don't think it looks bad at all, especially not on the woman pictured) and anything between 20-25% would make me fairly happy on a personal level, but I wouldn't be mad if I achieved lower.

My plan right now is to hit 135 and then look at where I am, see if more cutting is needed or if a little bulking is in order. I suspect I'll need to drop lower (125 ish) and then really work on building muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want to shoot for, pick a picture and go for it. BTW, somatotypes are completely made up

2ugmdkz.jpg

Also, stop worrying about time...taking 4 years or whatever. Pretty much everyone I know who has a "fitness" or "athletic" body and look didn't get there by necessarily worrying about achieving that look. The look is a bi-product of their lifestyle...so 1 month 6 months, 1 year 6 years doesn't matter...the "look" is achieved through a lifestyle, not doing something for 90 days and you magically look like you've been tearing it up in the weight room for a decade +.
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    BTW, somatotypes are completely made up

As are all classification systems, no? Made up to serve some sort of purpose.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Somatotypes were invented in the 1940s, and at the time the scientific community had the knowledge of a current high school student. At the time scientists barely knew about genetics and biochemistry. They weren't even developed by a scientist, they were developed by a psychologist who looked at pictures of people and decided how they made him feel. Somatotypes are classifications that people use to give up before they even start. "I'm an endomorph and there's nothing I can do to change that." I've heard that one before plenty of times. Body type is a product of lifestyle...
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    So it looks like 20% is about where muscle definition comes into play. I think that might be my overall goal (gotta admit I like some padding) but if 25% is considered healthy I think I'll make that my first step and see what happens from there. Thanks!

Wollfman, I'm not talking about achieving a "look," I'm talking about achieving a certain bf% as a starting point, and I don't want to set the bar somewhere that's completely unreachable in the short term for motivational purposes. I'm type A and I break everything I do into manageable pieces or I get completely overwhelmed. Hopefully working out will become a lifestyle and it won't concern me anymore, but for now I'm sore and tired and I have to remember what I'm working for :)
  • MsEndomorph
    Options

Somatotypes were invented in the 1940s, and at the time the scientific community had the knowledge of a current high school student. At the time scientists barely knew about genetics and biochemistry. They weren't even developed by a scientist, they were developed by a psychologist who looked at pictures of people and decided how they made him feel. Somatotypes are classifications that people use to give up before they even start. "I'm an endomorph and there's nothing I can do to change that." I've heard that one before plenty of times.

Be all that as it may...
    Body type is a product of lifestyle...

I 100% disagree with that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If you really want to destroy the fat in your body check out BurnTheFat2013.blogspot.com

I don't want to destroy the fat in my body. I need some to live.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In Tom Venutos book "The Body Fat Solution" he states that 0.5% per week is realistic for most people and 1% per week is really aggressive. Those are from memory as I dont have the book with me but I am like 90% sure that is a correct quote.

I am just trying to maintain a rate of 0.5% over time.

Of course you may be able to lose more if you work harder but keep in mind going from 30% to 20% in a month is probably not realistic.

Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Generally, for women, average body fat % is 25-31, fitness range is 21-24%, athlete range is 14-20%, essential is 10-13%

If you factor in age, you get some slightly different ranges.

Source:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

What did your trainer use to measure your body fat?

ETA: I'm not a big fan of those body fat pictures. Do we know that all the models were the same general height? If not, it's not a great judgement IMHO. My workout budy and I both weigh about 175 pounds and are both about 33% bf but she's a few inches shorter than me and has a slightly more stocky build so the weight looks much different on her than it does on me. See what I mean?

Personally, I like the idea of setting an initial goal that you know should be attainable so maybe 28% to get solidly in the middle of the average range, then you can determine how you feel and what it'll take to get down another 4% to be in fitnress range.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm 25% and my goal is around 22%.

I have quite a flat stomach now, the fat I have I store on my butt, thighs and hips. Of course women with apple shapes have to get skinnier than pear shapes/hourglasses to have a flat stomach, but I wouldn't recommend going too low.

A woman's fertility starts decreasing when her body fat gets below 22%. That doesn't mean you necessarily can't get pregnant, but it means your fertility starts getting compromised (which means it is unnatural). I couldn't care less about these fitness programs wanting women to have teenage men's bodies, not to mention fashion magazines run by gay men. I still find healthy women attractive, and that includes a woman having the body fat she needs to reproduce. There is nothing desirable about a body fat percentage of 15%.

From the pictures you posted, I find the most attractive to be somewhere between 25% and 30%.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Give yourself mini goals. It is what I am doing. Started at 34% at the beginning of Jan, said I wanted to get to 30%, then 27%, then 24%, working on 21%, thinking 17% will be about right for a stopping point, but will look long and hard in the mirror at that point and see if i want to go lower.

Also take a look at chart 2 on this page, as it shows age as well as where different BF% fall.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I have quite a flat stomach now, the fat I have I store on my butt, thighs and hips. Of course women with apple shapes have to get skinnier than pear shapes/hourglasses to have a flat stomach, but I wouldn't recommend going too low.

A woman's fertility starts decreasing when her body fat gets below 22%. That doesn't mean you necessarily can't get pregnant, but it means your fertility starts getting compromised (which means it is unnatural). I couldn't care less about these fitness programs wanting women to have teenage men's bodies, not to mention fashion magazines run by gay men. I still find healthy women attractive, and that includes a woman having the body fat she needs to reproduce. There is nothing desirable about a body fat percentage of 15%.

From the pictures you posted, I find the most attractive to be somewhere between 25% and 30%.

Aren't you pleasant.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Aren't you pleasant.

Yeah....
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Give yourself mini goals. It is what I am doing. Started at 34% at the beginning of Jan, said I wanted to get to 30%, then 27%, then 24%, working on 21%, thinking 17% will be about right for a stopping point, but will look long and hard in the mirror at that point and see if i want to go lower.

Also take a look at chart 2 on this page, as it shows age as well as where different BF% fall.

what is ur body fat percentage today?

im at 31% right now (i look like that picture of the girl at 30%.. just curves really but nice) my goal is to be at 24%-25%.

but baby step goals.. ill do 28% for my first goal!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

10/10 for body shaming.

Bonus point for implying that certain body shapes are "unnatural". Cool.

Oh, and extra bonus point for the dig at gay men. Bravo.