....That's weird

So my mom and i went Christmas shopping on sunday, and i have been super hesitant to go clothes shopping because i still have a lot of stuff that fits and i see no point in buying new stuff that won't fit (hopefully) within the next few months or so. My mom asked me if i wanted to go into NY&Co, i reluctantly agreed and really didn't grab anything at first until my mom started picking stuff out that she liked. I had a few tops and she pointed me over towards the pants, to my luck there weren't any in my size, OF COURSE she asked one of the sales girls to see if they had any in the back. Unfortunately they did, so i reluctantly took them and went into the dressing room. I tried on the first pair, and decided they looked terrible (especially because of the holiday eating/water weight on top of TOM bloating) so i quickly took them off and changed back into my jeans and tired on the tops. Luckily the tops looked good. I chose a couple that i liked and brought everything out to put in the "buy" or "put back" piles. I handed my mom all of the pants and as she started folding she goes "it looks like you only tried on one pair?" i said "yes, they're all the same cut so i didn't see a point in trying them all on" she said "ok, do you want the next size up?" i said "no, because they don't fit" (which is true, because the legs fit but the waistband is too big. I brought up the close i was going to get to the cashier, and of course it was the same girl who brought me the pants. She looked at what i was buying and was like "oh, you're not getting any pants?" i said "no, they didn't fit" she said "do you want the next size?" i said "no, those are too big." she looks up and goes "THAT'S WEIRD!" i wanted to say "SORRY I'M NOT A PERFECT SIZE 2 LIKE YOU!" but i stayed calm and my mom made a comment about how if i could sew i could alter my own pants and it wouldn't be an issue. Am i the only one with this issue where the smaller size is a little too small but the bigger size is too big?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    That's an awfully long story just to say "NY&Co pants don't fit me right". Maybe add a TL;DR next time.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    What?

Ditto. I didn't follow that either. Thought it was just me at first :lol:
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    The point wasn't that the pants didn't fit right. it was that the cashier thought it was weird that they didn't fit right.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Not sure what's "weird" to be between sizes. It happens all the time.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Am i the only one with this issue where the smaller size is a little too small but the bigger size is too big?

No, it's actually a common issue. I tend to get most of my pants tailored, sometimes the waist other times the length. Whenever I try on pants I usually take 3 sizes in the fitting room with me (1 size up, 1 size down & my size) whichever fits best is the one I buy.
  • leooftheyear

me either, but this cashier thought it was weird... :neutral:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Yeah cos she wants to sell stuff... I doubt she actually cares...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member

Sounds like she spoke without thinking. Being in between sizes is so common hence tailors.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015

People say stuff to fill silence or instead of "oh" or "um." It doesn't always mean that there is thought behind what they are saying.
  • leooftheyear

Sounds like she spoke without thinking. Being in between sizes is so common hence tailors.

So much easier to just shop online, no critics or people speaking without thinking!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

So much easier to just shop online, no critics or people speaking without thinking!

Saying something sounds weird is a critic now? Really?
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Would it have been okay for her to say it if she were a size 10? Because it sounds more like the problem is that a size 2 woman had the temerity to exist in your presence while you were feeling insecure and aggravated.

I really doubt she said it because she thinks you're a circus freak. She probably said it because you looked like you were waiting for a response and that was the first one that came to mind. I say "that's weird" all the time to acknowledge that someone has drawn something mildly unusual to my attention. To my knowledge no one has ever taken a common conversational nonresponse from me so personally that they had to rant about it on the internet in all caps.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    It is pretty normal to be between pant sizes, in a perfect world we would drop to the perfect shape and weight the next size but alas our bodies don't care. Also I followed your story just fine, don't feel bad for posting what you were thinking. Hell even if you had just wanted a place to rant it's cool.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I have that issue all the time. Nevermind that no two stores seems to sell clothes that are the same size (regardless of what the tag says). Plus, different cuts.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    I'm between sizes and it's a pain in the *kitten*. :s I don't get anything tailored because honestly, I just can't afford it. I'm just waiting patiently to drop another size. Luckily I wear scrubs at work, so I can get away with a little baggy sometimes.

I feel your pain.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    All my dress/work pants have to be tailored, and all my other jeans/pants hemmed at least.

Not weird at all.

Will say that I did find some pants at LOFT that are made for women with bigger legs/booty in comparison to the waist- They fit perfectly! Just shop around and/or find a tailor you like.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    It sounds like you do not communicate very well. I don't see how this is anybody else's fault. Were you exasperated about something that happened even before you got to the store? There is nothing rude, weird or inappropriate about a sales associate asking if something that she helped with worked for you.

I stopped shopping with my mother around age 14 because we have completely different tastes and body types. It was always a frustrating experience.

If you can't sew or don't want to do so, find a good tailor. Easy peasy!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    What?

and again......what??
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I don't think the cashier was trying to offend you. I'm not sure if you felt that way because of how she said it, the fact that she said it in general, or the fact that she was supposedly a size 2 and saying it to you.

As for your question of this happening to anyone else, yes, it happens to me too and I'm actually in between a size 0 and a size 2 depending on the store. A few weeks ago there was a 30% off jean sale at Target, who is NOTORIOUS for vanity sizing, and I ended up having to get pants in a size 00 and a size 0. The size 2 fit decently in the legs, but there was a huge gap between my back and the waistline of the jeans. The size 0 fit better in the waist, but still had more leg room than expected. The size 00 fit best in the legs, but was slightly too snug in the waist. It's no longer an issue now that the pants are broken into thankfully. I damn well know I'm no size 00, but that's what it took just to get passable, but not perfect fitting pants.