....That's weird

Options

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I had no problem understanding your post. And yes, I have been in between sizes too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I used to have a 29 inch waist and 44 inch hips...so no, you're not the only one.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like you are more uncomfortable with the fact that she commented on what size she thought would fit you.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Dear god, why are you so sensitive about pants?

I shop at ny & co because they actually have some style pants that fit me well (slim fit). I wear a size 0/1 there but atleast a size 3 in every other brand. With women's clothes nowadays the size is almost completely irrelevant. I think every single person has problems finding clothing that fit them right in the style, shape, color, etc.

I have a butt that is atleast 1 size larger, so i usually find pants that fit my butt but then are SUPER loose in the waist and HUGE in the legs. Or if i find pants that fit my waist size/leg size it's impossible to get over my butt. Dont even get me started on finding dresses (i have a big butt, small waist, and VERY small chest) where the fabric bunches up on my lower back and droops down in the chest....

Everyone has these problems. No reason to flip out and go off on a rant about being "size 2".
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I wear skirts is because most pants simply don't fit. Maybe try skirts next time.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think she did what a reasonable salesperson would do (although she didn't ask if it was a size down or up). Very reasonable that if it didn't fit you would need another size...but unreasonable for you to assume that it's because she was small that she asked.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I shop at ny & co because they actually have some style pants that fit me well (slim fit). I wear a size 0/1 there but atleast a size 3 in every other brand.

Yep. I wear a smaller size at NY&C than I do at other stores. Which is why I like it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I shop at ny & co because they actually have some style pants that fit me well (slim fit). I wear a size 0/1 there but atleast a size 3 in every other brand.

Yep. I wear a smaller size at NY&C than I do at other stores. Which is why I like it.

Yep, vanity sizing for the win.

;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Of course the cashier will say it's weird because the clothes they want to sell are "perfect". Just look for another style or brand.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have a butt that is atleast 1 size larger, so i usually find pants that fit my butt but then are SUPER loose in the waist and HUGE in the legs. Or if i find pants that fit my waist size/leg size it's impossible to get over my butt. Dont even get me started on finding dresses (i have a big butt, small waist, and VERY small chest) where the fabric bunches up on my lower back and droops down in the chest....

Everyone has these problems. No reason to flip out and go off on a rant about being "size 2".

I also have the same issue with pants that fit my butt are too big in the waist! Levi's are great if you have that problem.

I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head. I don't think the OP would've gotten so upset about the "weird" comment if the salesperson had been a larger size.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have had a much bigger waist size than hip size until recently that made buying pants that fit nicely without a stretch waist pretty impossible. I prefer to shop online with lots of measurements and size charts in hand.
    Sounds like you were irritated because your mom pressured you into clothes shopping, asked for pants when you didn't want to go there and then made comments about your lack of sewing skills. You transferred your irritation to the sales clerk.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I don't think the cashier was trying to offend you. I'm not sure if you felt that way because of how she said it, the fact that she said it in general, or the fact that she was supposedly a size 2 and saying it to you.

As for your question of this happening to anyone else, yes, it happens to me too and I'm actually in between a size 0 and a size 2 depending on the store. A few weeks ago there was a 30% off jean sale at Target, who is NOTORIOUS for vanity sizing, and I ended up having to get pants in a size 00 and a size 0. The size 2 fit decently in the legs, but there was a huge gap between my back and the waistline of the jeans. The size 0 fit better in the waist, but still had more leg room than expected. The size 00 fit best in the legs, but was slightly too snug in the waist. It's no longer an issue now that the pants are broken into thankfully. I damn well know I'm no size 00, but that's what it took just to get passable, but not perfect fitting pants.

And here I thought I was losing my damn mind when I shopped there and bought size 0 shorts and they're just a touch big.

OP -

Cashiers nearly always feel like they have to make small talk with you. That need leads to them saying things they may not really mean to say.

It's not necessarily a comment on your figure - more an observation than anything else.

~Lyssa
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I also have the same issue with pants that fit my butt are too big in the waist! Levi's are great if you have that problem.

Can you please tell me what number and/or name of Levi's do this? It has been a problem my whole life, thin or fat, and there are so many brands and then different styles within those brands that I am completely lost when I go into a store. :(

Thanks.

• shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just came to say seems like you got a lot of hate for your post. I understood you perfectly well and can understand feeling upset by the cashiers comment.That said I've never had trouble being in between sizes but i know its a common issue. Hopefully you'll find what works for you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I just came to say seems like you got a lot of hate for your post. I understood you perfectly well and can understand feeling upset by the cashiers comment.That said I've never had trouble being in between sizes but i know its a common issue. Hopefully you'll find what works for you.

Not hate, just people pointing out that freaking out at someone for this would have been unreasonable.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have always thought that NY & Co clothes were pretty true to size, but I guess I've never ordered pants from them.

You are lucky to have one close at hand--I don't think that there is a brick-and-mortar store within 1000 miles of me. I order from them online, but their returns are a pain in the neck, so no pants for me.

For an hourglass shape, stretch is your friend. You might also try ethnic clothing stores if you have them in your area. Latin American and Brazilian clothing is much more hourglass-friendly than clothing produced for the US market.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm hourglass

Far more markedly so when I'm carrying extra weight ...and then no nothing would fit probably ...if it looked good over my bum then the waist would gape....it was a very weird brand that would actually fit into my curves and I'd have to go for more tailored lines to have any chance

Now that I've lost weight it's much less noticeable but it's still there

Also clothes sizes mean nothing ...I can spread across 2 different sizes within the same manufacturer let alone across brands

Clothes shopping is however far more pleasurable when I don't think people are judging me...not that they ever were of course, that's an internal voice condemning you not an external one
  • Mark_76
    Mark_76 Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Some people don't have a filter lol. I have the same trouble, I'm a big bloke so needless to say I need X sizes but the issue is never my waist, it's always my thighs, they're huge. So I get where you're coming from with getting the right fit. For me, I just accept that some people's attitudes can be rude but I don't let it bother me, I put myself in this position with my weight and if some feel the desire to mock, I just smile knowing I might have the bigger a.s.s but it's better than being the bigger a.s.s.hole ;)
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Me in a nutshell the last time I tried to buy new pants: small size too small, big size too big.
    I admit I hate belts so I don't use any (they feel terrible to me).
    Ah, you know how it is. At some point you'll fit into factory size pants again

... but there's no remedy to how I'm between two shoe sizes. xD It's terrible. They don't sell in-between sizes in local shops anymore and I'm reluctant to shop online for shoes.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I used to have a 29 inch waist and 44 inch hips...so no, you're not the only one.

Yeah, 24 waist and 41 hips here, jeans are a flipping nightmare to buy! I can only wear low riders anything higher I'm done for!