No sugar til January 2nd

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I have been sugar-free for 14 years, it's so worth it and friggin' tasty!! You just have to expand your horizons! ;)

doubtful...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Good luck Natalie. Sorry for all the haters. I am kicking as much of the sugar and processed foods as I can for as long as I can (I started Monday) and alcohol too. I know the holiday season may derail me, but even more reason to just say no, because it's not just the holiday foods that are packed with sugar, but pretty much everything else in the house. The carbs tend to set me off on a cycle where I am constantly hungry and seeking more of anything but healthy foods. Just giving it up cold turkey seems to work best. I've done this in the past, and while it only lasted two weeks, it really jumpstarted my diets.

sugar is just one subset of carbs...there are numerous nutritional carbohydrate sources..."carbs" aren't just junk foods. fruits are carbs, vegetables are carbs; oats, lentils, beans, brown rice, quinoa, etc...all carbs.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm limiting sweets, but not cutting it out. Shoot, we're going to Chicago for Christmas and then I'm on a cruise and I plan on having all the good stuff in Chicago and some sweets on the cruise (not to mention bread pudding in NOLA).

And also waiting for the 10 bags of dried persimmons I ordered to come in from TJ's.

This is limiting sweets for me as I've had enough sweets for at least 20 people this year. lol And I'm still healthy, slim, and lean.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So today I've decided that I will have no junk for a month! I've been allowing myself too many sweets and need to break the habit. Anyone wanna join me?

There are a lot of vague parameters involved in your plan. What are you qualifying as junk? Are you only going to restrict sweets, or all sugars? Did I also read that you are considering going vegan? Is that for weight loss purposes, or for ethical reasons? It may be challenging to be a vegan and consume no sugar, since there are sugars in fruits and vegetables...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    There are a lot of vague parameters involved in your plan.

Yes, and exactly why it ill not work...

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So today I've decided that I will have no junk for a month! I've been allowing myself too many sweets and need to break the habit. Anyone wanna join me?

There are a lot of vague parameters involved in your plan. What are you qualifying as junk? Are you only going to restrict sweets, or all sugars? Did I also read that you are considering going vegan? Is that for weight loss purposes, or for ethical reasons? It may be challenging to be a vegan and consume no sugar, since there are sugars in fruits and vegetables...

It would be flat out impossible, I would think Vegans can go low carbohydrate (I even know a couple of people doing vegan versions of keto), but even they are regularly consuming sugars.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. Most people there have cut out sugars and limit their grains. Even if you are technically not low carb (below 100 to 150g per day) you would be welcomed to join to get ideas on how to cut back.

There are a few vegetarians in the group too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why is it assumed that "no junk" = "low carb"? Lots of stuff that some might consider "junk" is low carb, and as cwolfman correctly pointed out, many carbs are nutrient dense or not reasonably considered "junk."

Sigh.

Anyway, OP, I do stuff like that sometimes, last January, in fact, but December doesn't work for me -- I probably eat more sweet stuff and other "junk" this month than in most others, and am okay with that. It's actually been good motivation to focus on making sure I also get lots of nutrient dense foods too (especially those carbs cwolfman mentioned) and to ramp up my workout schedule (well, that and that I've signed up for a few winter races). Good luck with it -- if you are going vegan I think there's a vegan group around here, and janejellyroll always impresses me with her advice and takes on things, so you might want to look at what she does.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why is it assumed that "no junk" = "low carb"? Lots of stuff that some might consider "junk" is low carb, and as cwolfman correctly pointed out, many carbs are nutrient dense or not reasonably considered "junk."

Sigh.

Anyway, OP, I do stuff like that sometimes, last January, in fact, but December doesn't work for me -- I probably eat more sweet stuff and other "junk" this month than in most others, and am okay with that. It's actually been good motivation to focus on making sure I also get lots of nutrient dense foods too (especially those carbs cwolfman mentioned) and to ramp up my workout schedule (well, that and that I've signed up for a few winter races). Good luck with it -- if you are going vegan I think there's a vegan group around here, and janejellyroll always impresses me with her advice and takes on things, so you might want to look at what she does.

Where did anyone say it was?
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Sigh.

When nvmomketo responded to OP's statement that she wanted to give up "junk" for the month by suggesting that she join the low carb group (and noted that many give up grains, which are certainly not universally considered "junk").

Otherwise, what the heck does the low carb group have to do with anything? Especially since OP is apparently a vegan.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Sigh.

Aw, thanks! I pretty much eat all the carbs! :wink:

Not really, but I eat about 60% carbohydrates and I don't limit added sugars. I'm lucky, I guess, in that my sweet tooth is smaller than many, but I'll still have non-dairy ice cream, maple syrup or dates in smoothies, cookies. I also eat condiments with sugar (like ketchup and chutney). I eat plenty of the stuff that I suspect is the "junk" OP is trying to avoid -- I have a bagel every Sunday, french fries about once a week, pizza, pasta, non-dairy cheeses, wine, etc.

Like you, I just focus on getting nutrient-rich foods. Beyond the stuff I've cut for ethical reasons, I'm terrible at saying I'm not going to eat something -- it makes me obsess and leads to binges. Fortunately, logging has helped me realize that I don't have to cut anything out to meet my health and fitness goals. It's much easier for me to say, "Well, I'd like that cookie, but I don't have the calories for it today . . . let's see about tomorrow" than it is for me to say "No cookies!"

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Sigh.

When nvmomketo responded to OP's statement that she wanted to give up "junk" for the month by suggesting that she join the low carb group (and noted that many give up grains, which are certainly not universally considered "junk").

Otherwise, what the heck does the low carb group have to do with anything? Especially since OP is apparently a vegan.

She said that many of the people there have cut out sugars and limited grains - the cutting out sugar portion is certainly relevant to the OP's question, and if the OP is trying to cut out "junk food," ideas from people who are limiting grains are certainly relevant because grains/flour are found in things that are often considered "junk food" as well as many pre-packaged processed foods which also contain added sugars. She also said that even if the person isn't doing low carb, it might be a good place to get some ideas. Pointing out a similarity in eating style to what the OP is trying to accomplish is not equating "no junk" with "low carb."
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We disagree about the obvious assumption within ketomom's comment.

And I also disagree that there is likely to be any similarity in eating style or that hanging out in a low carb forum if one is not low carb would be a sensible thing to do merely because one was trying to focus on eating a nutrient-dense (and "no junk") diet. For example, cutting out "sugar" for the keto world tends to include fruit (or most fruits), limiting carrots and beets, and often is used broadly to encompass all carbs (since they become sugar in the body). Many people limit or cut out added sugar without being low carb, and not all low carbers do (and many who do use things like stevia or other artificial sweeteners, which would likely be among that OP is avoiding). But I suppose this goes with the point WinoGelato made above, which is that "junk" is probably too vague to allow for meaningful comments.

Anyway, if we all agree that "no junk" doesn't mean "low carb," then we are in agreement about the important stuff, so no need to argue.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    If the OP doesn't come back and clarify what she meant by the word "junk", why it is just for the month of December, and if in fact she is going vegan (although I'm not sure where that came from - maybe another thread the OP started or posted in), it's really just a lot of speculation from all of us which is likely to lead to pointless bickering... which, really, is pretty much the same as any other sugar thread, now that I think about it!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I would think that being a vegan would be pretty incompatible with low carbing.

Vegan protein sources can be low carb (tofu, seitan, and tempeh aren't all that carby), but man... beans? Legumes? And the necessary complementary whole grains?

OP, I've given up sugar before, and for a really long stretch of time.

I won't be joining you in your current challenge.

I do tend to agree with the posters who feel you might be attempting too many changes at once, though.

Tackle either the veganism or the no-sugar thing. Otherwise, you're going to crash and burn.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    If the OP doesn't come back and clarify what she meant by the word "junk", why it is just for the month of December, and if in fact she is going vegan (although I'm not sure where that came from - maybe another thread the OP started or posted in), it's really just a lot of speculation from all of us which is likely to lead to pointless bickering... which, really, is pretty much the same as any other sugar thread, now that I think about it!

It was in another thread and I apologize for muddying the waters by bringing it up in this one. I've just seen lots of newer vegans struggle because they attempt to go vegan and do other stuff (no added sugar, low fat, no caffeine, etc) at the same time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    But how is she going to be vegan and cut out sugar and hit her nutritional targets?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The low carb forum is a sensible suggestion because the OP is looking for people to join her. I can guarantee that instead of a bunch of nos, nopes and memes she'd make friends, get encouragement and motivation (and a place to check in) from the monthly challenge thread.

It's a friendly, welcoming group for anyone -- low carb or not -- which is not something that can be found here on the main forums. Which is a shame.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

It was in another thread and I apologize for muddying the waters by bringing it up in this one. I've just seen lots of newer vegans struggle because they attempt to go vegan and do other stuff (no added sugar, low fat, no caffeine, etc) at the same time.

No, it's totally relevant, I just wasn't sure where it originated from. I think a lot of times people think, "well if one change is good, LOTS of change is going to be even better!" and sometimes those changes are potentially incompatible or just straight up too restrictive and can lead to abandonment.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Pretty much all the high cal sweets I get tempted by during the holidays are off the table anyway on a vegan diet. The cheese at wine and cheese parties, the pie, the cake, the cookies, the chocolate. Even the latkes, not to mention the sour cream I like with them. You can make vegan versions of most of this stuff, but it takes more effort so wouldn't be the same kind of easy temptation.

And in case this sounds negative, let me just say that I love the holidays.