"Sedentary" office job on 7th floor. What can I do!?

Options
I have gained 25 pounds in 3.5 years, I'm only 5 feet tall! I can take all 7 flights down ythe stairs, but only 2 up. What can I do without looking too corny in a cubicle surrounded by about 50 more people to keep myself moving???

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary office job on the 5th floor.

In the beginning, I could manage to walk down the stairs.

Then I started doing one trip up, right after my lunchtime walk. By the time I got to the top, I probably looked like I needed medical attention. However, after doing that for a couple weeks, it was OK.

Then I started doing the climb twice a day (10 flights a day). Then 3 times a day (15 flights a day). I figured that was the absolute maximum, but then found out that there is a small group of my work colleagues climbing the stairs and their minimum was 5 times a day (25 flights a day)!!!

So I joined them, but did 3 times a day for the first week, 4 times a day the next week, and then 5 times a day the next week. That was exhausting, but I stuck with it for about a month ... 5 times a day.

Then I started adding another time or two here and there.

A couple weeks ago, I did the climb 6 times a day (30 flights a day) every day ... that seems to be my minimum now, and I add an extra time or two now and then. The 5 times a day I struggled to do 2 or 3 months ago is now my rest day.

So ... just get started. If you can only manage 2 flights, that's fine ... do that for a week or so, then add an extra flight and see how that goes. Then add another one ...

I have been amazed that where I once just about crawled up one set of 5 flights, and took a long time to recover, I'm now scampering up 6 times a day, and barely breathing hard. Just keep at it, and gradually add to it. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk up all 7 even once, start with one flight. Next week make it 2 and so on. You really can make progress no matter where you start or how much you can do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Stairs are actually one of the best ways to accelerate fitness and burn calories. Start with just a couple and add a flight every other week or so. On breaks, use that time to get a little in. Physical movement keep people burning calories regardless of the activity and is part of your TDEE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Also don't feel like you have to sprint up the stairs. Everything adds up. Just move, and build up your fitness at your own pace :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a 12 story library. I'd go up one floor, walk around the perimeter of the stacks, up another floor, walk the perimeter, etc. Breaking it up was easier than doing it all at once. Can you do something similar?
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! I was thinking more of inconspicuous upper body movement at my desk, cause wow w.neck and back pain! But I will be more dedicated to going up the stairs. I recently read a sample of Eat, Sleep, Move, and it inspired me to get the fitness tracker band, but what it had to say about LACK of movement was astonishing!
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk-bound sedentary job and did/do the following to increase my steps:

1) Park my car in the spot that's the farthest from the door
    2) Get up from my desk every hour and take a lap around the floor (I've set up a task reminder on my PC that prompts me)
    3) Walk the long way to the rest room
    4) Frequent trips to kitchen for water
    5) 30-40 min walk every day at lunch, weather permitting

This enabled me to increase my activity to 10-12K steps per day.

I like the flight of steps idea and am going to start including that in my daily routine SLOWLY -- thanks for the suggestions on how to work up to several flights a day. We have 10 floors in my building -- maybe I will be able to do all 10 at one time in a few months. LOL
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    edean331 wrote: »
    I have gained 25 pounds in 3.5 years, I'm only 5 feet tall! I can take all 7 flights down ythe stairs, but only 2 up. What can I do without looking too corny in a cubicle surrounded by about 50 more people to keep myself moving???

take 3 flights up?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! I was thinking more of inconspicuous upper body movement at my desk, cause wow w.neck and back pain! But I will be more dedicated to going up the stairs. I recently read a sample of Eat, Sleep, Move, and it inspired me to get the fitness tracker band, but what it had to say about LACK of movement was astonishing!

I switched from very physical job, where I was consistency moving for 12 hours a day, to a working a desk job. The transition was hard on my body since now I have to sit all day. My upper back and neck always hurts no matter how I sit in my desk chair. I use a foam roller on my back when I get home and it really helps! There's a lot of mistakes you can make when using them, especially on your back, so here's an article on how to avoid injuries: huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/foam-rolling-mistakes_n_4980975.html You can find them at sports stores for $30, but I picked mine up at Five Below for $5 and it works the same as any other expensive one I've ever used.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I do some silly stuff like always walking the long way to get anywhere at my office, using my lunch break to hit the gym or just go for a walk, and constantly volunteering for any task that will let me get moving (from picking up mail to running documents to another office or going on the coffee run).

I also go to the gym twice a week before work (plus the twice per week I go at lunch) and I walk to work as well, which I know isn't feasible for most people. I manage about 20,000 steps most days despite my office job because of these things.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    When you say you can only do 2 up, do you mean the building in configured in such a way it isn't possible to go more than two? Like it is meant to be an escape, not an entrance? Can you go up and down those two flights without getting dizzy?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I use the bathroom on a different floor (4th floor down to the basement). I also drink A LOT of water at work. Lots and lots of flights of stairs for me, every day.

You can google chair exercises, and find things to do like that as well.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Is there more than one stairwell? You can walk up 2 flights, then walk to the other stair well, or even just walk around that floor and come back, then go up two more, etc. It will give you a break so you are not huffing and puffing by the time you get up all 7 flights. Like interval training!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have an office job too. I don't do anything deliberate at my desk. I do take the stairs, I do park further away from the building (I do this with stores and shopping, etc as well), I do get up to walk around at least once every hour, If I need to talk to a colleague about something I get up and go to them rather then sending and email or paging them on the phone, I often will use the restroom facilities on another floor, etc.

beyond that, I make time for deliberate exercise which I think is imperative when you have a sedentary job and is going to be far more beneficial than trying to find some odd type of exercise to do at your desk while you're working.
  • Sabretooth333
    Sabretooth333 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work a 9 to 5:30 office job and find going for a run before work reduces my 'want' to move around the office.

I would suggest going to the toilets (disabled if possible) and doing a few stationary exercises and stretches. That way you have enough room and people won't see you.

Just don't do jumping jacks (too loud) or press ups (hands on the toilet floor... not too hygienic!)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do too many at once! I had a high blood sugar and wanted to burn some energy, so I walked from the 2nd floor to the 6th floor and the back down and then up to the 5th floor and back. My calves hurt badly for a week. Definitely pace yourself and build up to it! It's a great idea. I'm on the second floor and always do that, but I need to start going further!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

This could also be due to posture. Make sure your posture is at it's best at all times and relocate or adjust your telephone, computer monitors, keyboard, etc. so that you can be properly aligned.

Also, good advice from @MsJulesRenee as far as foam rolling and stretching.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I work a 9 to 5:30 office job and find going for a run before work reduces my 'want' to move around the office.

I would suggest going to the toilets (disabled if possible) and doing a few stationary exercises and stretches. That way you have enough room and people won't see you.

Just don't do jumping jacks (too loud) or press ups (hands on the toilet floor... not too hygienic!)

Please don't use the accessible toilets unless you need the access due to disability. It's not fair on people who don't have the luxury of choice.
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

@MsJulesRenee : I had a very hard time with neck/shoulder/back pain no matter how I sat too. Then started doing a very simple yoga stretch Sun Salute, and it almost immediately improved, I just need to remember to do it every day after my morning shower! Try it and see if it helps:

http://wildernessdave.com/files/2012/01/sunsalutationfinal.jpg
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    @MsJulesRenee : I had a very hard time with neck/shoulder/back pain no matter how I sat too. Then started doing a very simple yoga stretch Sun Salute, and it almost immediately improved, I just need to remember to do it every day after my morning shower! Try it and see if it helps:

http://wildernessdave.com/files/2012/01/sunsalutationfinal.jpg

Thanks! These are actually the stretches I do but never thought to put them in a smooth order like that. I'll try it tomorrow morning :) *yoga newbie*