"Sedentary" office job on 7th floor. What can I do!?

Options
13»

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You don't need to use the disabled stall to do a few exercises, a regular stall is big enough for a couple of forward lunges - I just tried it! Great tip! With all the extra water I have been drinking I will get plenty of lunges in if I just do ten every time I visit the bathroom.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you take a 5 minute break to walk around the office every hour, you'll have done over 30 minutes for the day, which at the end of the week, will put you out of the sedentary class. Plus research shows people are more productive if they take breaks and move during the day
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you take a 5 minute break to walk around the office every hour, you'll have done over 30 minutes for the day, which at the end of the week, will put you out of the sedentary class. Plus research shows people are more productive if they take breaks and move during the day
    @47Jacqueline, I hear this a lot! But I am still so worried about being away from my desk and breaking focus (complex nurse requiring detailed medical updates) that I really think this has, in part, kept me smoking!!! Having "a reason" to leave my desk, take the 7 flights down to step outside and complain about corporate America and have a cigarette. I wonder if office jobs, as notorious for weight gain, also foster smoking. Any tips on this?? I've cut down periodically, smoking nothing to a quarter/third of a cigarette a few times, then always back up to full smoke breaks, then (aside from getting lunch AND a smoke) the only reason I get up!!

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Do you all worry about being away from your desk or what you are supposed to be doing for work in order to get your steps in? I'd be worried that my boss would notice.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    Do you all worry about being away from your desk or what you are supposed to be doing for work in order to get your steps in? I'd be worried that my boss would notice.

A good manager should be able to measure productivity based on something more sophisticated than whether you happen to be sitting at your desk when they happen to look. That is, unless sitting in a chair is the job.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think you can climb more that two-three flights of stairs.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    edean331 wrote: »
    I have gained 25 pounds in 3.5 years, I'm only 5 feet tall! I can take all 7 flights down ythe stairs, but only 2 up. What can I do without looking too corny in a cubicle surrounded by about 50 more people to keep myself moving???

Take things slow... walk up 2 then take the lift. Then a few weeks later take 3, then 4 until you reach 7.
    Then move the goal posts by jogging up. Then do it once or twice a day.

It will soon add up :-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love all the tall building tips. My daughter has progressed so she walks up to the top, takes the elevator back down, then goes up again.

For cubicle workouts, how about stretches? You could post this in the cubicle to help ease the weirdness factor.
    Desk+Stretches.jpg

I caught our accounts payable girl doing pushups in her cubicle; I was delighted with her enterprising spirit.

Put a timer on your phone to get up for a walk around the office once an hour.

13 habits of super fitness trackers