Options
13»

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    grshaadi wrote: »
    I was prescribed Meloxicam by an orthopedic doctor but my rheumatologist stopped it citing it has side effects. She asked me to take Tylenol for arthritis instead. I take Tylenol for arthritis and sometimes take Tramadol if required. I have bad arthritis in my neck, shoulders, back , knees and hands. I do not need to take more than a couple of Tylenols as I take some home remedies that are helping. In the morning I take a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder with 1/4 teaspoon of pure honey on an empty stomach. I take this an hour before my breakfast. If you get up in the night to go to the bathroom, you can have this at that time so when you wake up you do not need to wait for your breakfast. I also take a very small quantity of lime which comes from limestone. The quantity is the size of a grain of wheat. Lime is a very good source of calcium and helps strengthen bones. It has to be mixed with juice or water and the quantity of the lime should not exceed the size of a grain of wheat. This edible lime is also used to produce TUMS and other antacids. This edible lime can be bought from an East Indian restaurant that sells 'paan' Paan is a mouth freshner and if you are interested, you can ask any Indian restaurant owner for a paan shop. These two remedies along with turmeric are remedies from Ayurveda which I had mentioned in an earlier post. These three things, cinnamon, lime and turmeric have no side effects. Turmeric is the main yellow spice in curry powder and has been used for centuries on India. If you like, you can get turmeric capsules or try incorporating turmeric in your cooking. It can be added to soups and stews. You could have 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric in warm milk with a bit of honey. Turmeric helps to get rid of inflammation and has no side effects. I have made these suggestions to you guys so you can get some relief from pain. These three things are helping me .
    There are two yoga exercises that help with Arthritis. One is 'Anulom vilom' and the other is 'kapalbhati' These two yoga exercises help get rid of Arthritis. You can learn these exercises on YouTube. The gentleman I follow and who has a following of millions in India is Swami Ramdev. You may not understand Hindi but you can see the exercises. Several of the yoga instructors here go to his ashram to learn yoga and then teach it here in Canada and the US.
    You can look up an Indian movie star Shilpa Shetty's video on yoga. She has learnt yoga from Swami Ramdev.
    I have shared with you what I have learnt and believe in. I do not believe in knee or hip replacement or want the side effects of the strong medicines that are prescribed. Good luck everyone. I hope you guys get relief from your pain.

This works for me too. I also follow Swami Ramdev. Turmeric has helped me alot and also the pranayama you mentioned. I was able to kneel down and to be able to get up from the floor unassisted from following these advice. I had a back injury and could not pick anything up from the ground or kneel down or sit on the floor for 5 years before I tried these things.

I also wish everyone well from pain.

• Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    karl317 wrote: »
    PA DX'd in my 20's, now 46. Been on Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, Simponi and now Stelara. Also did Methotrexate off and on but gave it up because I don't want to someday need an 18" needle stabbed into my liver.

My hips are pretty wrecked, but I still can walk at a decent pace to the point where i can pull off 5mi per day. I used to be able to jog, but my hips can't take the impact anymore. I have the same "replacement" in my future, but i'm not ready for that either.

Shoulders are both wrecked too, so upper body impact is a problem.

My skin gets to around 90% clear on Stelara, which is pretty good. Without treatment, my PASI score is abysmal (68) and i'm a cracking, bloody mess - so Stelara is great in that regard. But Stelara's not as effective on my joints as I would like.

But hey, for now i'm ambulatory and only have 40-50lb to go.

Yeah, my skin was very clear on Stelara, but I kept having arthritis flare-ups on it. I told the doc I'd rather be able to walk and have some patches on my skin. Haven't tried Remicade or Simponi, but I'm going to stick with methotrexate and Humira for the foreseeable future. I nearly lost complete use of my right hand/arm during this Otezla business, so no more experimenting for me!
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also, I've been on methotrexate for about 15 years and have never had a liver biopsy. I get my blood tests about every two months, and they've all been clear, so no need.
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have just discovered an mfp group that may interest you all: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/940-chronic-pain-weight-loss
    It would be great to have a group specifically for exercise with chronic pain/ fatigue conditions...