senecarr wrote: »
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm not a doctor, I'll just thought I'd get that out the way before others start jumping on my personal opinion.

I've been on about 10 different types of anti depressants in my life, all of which caused various degrees in side effects.

Prozac for me had one of the least affects on weight, but others will tell you differently.

Anti depressants aren't an easy choice, they aren't a magic cure and quite often can cause dependency down the line. If you can manage your symptoms without medication then that would be ideal, if you really are struggling, look to take them with the view that you won't be on them for a long period of time. As always, consult a doctor when you decide the time is right.

A side from weight loss/gain, anti depressants can effect sleep, sex drive, balance. All of which can have an impact on your ability to lose weight, it's worth noting.

Eat properly, exercise and drink plenty of water.
    OP, I would be leery of accepting any advice in this thread excepting that which relates to the weight-influencing properties of Prozac.

You are currently working with a medical team to address a very serious issue of your ED, and they, knowing the exact nature of your case, are contemplating this move. I'd take their advice over whether or not actually taking the drug is best for you.

I've taken Prozac in the past and it suppressed my appetite.

I will add that I am appalled that people reading this thread ignored the fact that you have ED and are just so against anti-depressants that they are ready to jump in to advise you to go against the advice of your care team.

Never change MFP.
    OP, I would be leery of accepting any advice in this thread excepting that which relates to the weight-influencing properties of Prozac.

You are currently working with a medical team to address a very serious issue of your ED, and they, knowing the exact nature of your case, are contemplating this move. I'd take their advice over whether or not actually taking the drug is best for you.

I will add that I am appalled that people reading this thread ignored the fact that you have ED and are just so against anti-depressants that they are ready to jump in to advise you to go against the advice of your care team.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

Who is advising the the OP go against the advice of the care team? The statement is qualified with an If and includes an ideally, nowhere does it say not to take the medication. Along those lines, why so dismissive of therapy? It works for some people, and everyone is different so it's worth mentioning to the OP while they are working with their care team as an avenue to explore. Antidepressant medication is not a cure to mental health issues, and most users eventually build a tolerance to the medication. That's where therapy and CBT are useful, so the patient can learn valid coping mechanisms to better deal with their disorders.

Do you really believe that it's better for people to just blindly take medication and not try to get to the root of their issues, so maybe one day they can manage on their own? It may not work for everyone, but it works for many people. Don't you think now would be a good time for the OP to explore that since they are actively working with a team? Antidepressants are not candy - they come with their own very real set of side effects, and if taken long enough, begin to physically alter neuroprocesses. Not to mention, they have a systemic effect, and are tough on other organ systems. The OP has an ED, at some point they will have to learn how to cope and have a heathy relationship with both food and themselves, as they cannot just stop eating. A pill isn't going to make this magically happen.

This is so insulting. Basically you are saying that people just need to not take medication and learn to deal with it. As someone who is stable on meds (and very very unstable off of them) this is incredibly rude/offensive.

Actually, not saying that at all. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for some. If she's starting on meds, it may be a good time to try therapy as well. I realize that it doesn't work for everyone, and have said as much. There is nothing wrong with having to take medication if that is the only thing that works, but what's wrong in trying other treatment types before making that claim?

There is a lot wrong with suggestion people try everything else before resorting to medication. It is basically medication shaming.

If someone had asthma, would you suggest trying xy and z before using their rescue inhaler? If they had a dangerous cardiac condition, would you suggest alternates before taking meds? mental health is NOT different from other illnesses. Suggesting someone avoid medication and try other means first, and only take them as a last resort, could actually be life threatening.

You can't compare asthma, a psychical condition, to a mental Condition.

The first line of therapy should be exactly that, medication is not shameful, but it shouldn't necessarily be the first point of protocol.

Playing around with an individuals neurotransmitters is not a joke.

It's up to a professional to decide the severity of any condition.
    Hey,

I'm not a doctor, I'll just thought I'd get that out the way before others start jumping on my personal opinion.

I've been on about 10 different types of anti depressants in my life, all of which caused various degrees in side effects.

Prozac for me had one of the least affects on weight, but others will tell you differently.

Anti depressants aren't an easy choice, they aren't a magic cure and quite often can cause dependency down the line. If you can manage your symptoms without medication then that would be ideal, if you really are struggling, look to take them with the view that you won't be on them for a long period of time. As always, consult a doctor when you decide the time is right.

A side from weight loss/gain, anti depressants can effect sleep, sex drive, balance. All of which can have an impact on your ability to lose weight, it's worth noting.

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

Who is advising the the OP go against the advice of the care team? The statement is qualified with an If and includes an ideally, nowhere does it say not to take the medication. Along those lines, why so dismissive of therapy? It works for some people, and everyone is different so it's worth mentioning to the OP while they are working with their care team as an avenue to explore. Antidepressant medication is not a cure to mental health issues, and most users eventually build a tolerance to the medication. That's where therapy and CBT are useful, so the patient can learn valid coping mechanisms to better deal with their disorders.

Do you really believe that it's better for people to just blindly take medication and not try to get to the root of their issues, so maybe one day they can manage on their own? It may not work for everyone, but it works for many people. Don't you think now would be a good time for the OP to explore that since they are actively working with a team? Antidepressants are not candy - they come with their own very real set of side effects, and if taken long enough, begin to physically alter neuroprocesses. Not to mention, they have a systemic effect, and are tough on other organ systems. The OP has an ED, at some point they will have to learn how to cope and have a heathy relationship with both food and themselves, as they cannot just stop eating. A pill isn't going to make this magically happen.

This is so insulting. Basically you are saying that people just need to not take medication and learn to deal with it. As someone who is stable on meds (and very very unstable off of them) this is incredibly rude/offensive.

Actually, not saying that at all. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for some. If she's starting on meds, it may be a good time to try therapy as well. I realize that it doesn't work for everyone, and have said as much. There is nothing wrong with having to take medication if that is the only thing that works, but what's wrong in trying other treatment types before making that claim?

There is a lot wrong with suggestion people try everything else before resorting to medication. It is basically medication shaming.

If someone had asthma, would you suggest trying xy and z before using their rescue inhaler? If they had a dangerous cardiac condition, would you suggest alternates before taking meds? mental health is NOT different from other illnesses. Suggesting someone avoid medication and try other means first, and only take them as a last resort, could actually be life threatening.

The first line of therapy should be exactly that, medication is not shameful, but it shouldn't necessarily be the first point of protocol.

Wow, that is very very ignorant of you. A "mental" condition IS a physical condition. Just because you do not believe medication is needed does not mean it isn't.

You use that word a lot, you throw it around like you have authority and no what you're talking about it, no, a mental Condition is not a psychical condition, and to compare the 2 is simply ridiculous.

How can you compare multiple sclerosis to minor depression? It's simply absurd. Not everyone needs medication for depression, but everyone with multiple sclerosis does need medication.

You seem to have a continuous need to bash others posts, but don't have anything logical to suggest or advise.

Not everyone needs pain medication for a sprained wrist, not everyone needs it for a headache.
    Can you please explain to me the chemical difference between the substance p that is produced in a depressive's brain, or in someone with a sprained wrist, or multiple sclerosis?

For starters, chemical imbalances in those suffering from neurological disorders is not proven.

I can't even ...

Well, it's good to know that it's all in my head (pun intended).

No, let's get this straight, it's far more complicated than that.

There is no one size fits all and although every spotlight has been put on serotonin as the main cause of depression, the evidence is far from that simple.

No. They are looking at multiple neurotransmitters. SSRIs aren't the only type of medication used to treat depression or anxiety. And serotonin isn't even implicated in some of the other psychiatric conditions.

Professionals recognize that there a multitude of factors, including environment and genetic factors. Genetic factors imply that it is a physical (medical) condition. Some conditions have a higher genetic component than other (done via twin studies that remove the confounding factor that those who share genetics often share environment).

And doctors working with those who have mental illness issues don't generally use a one-size-fits-all approach. That's why there are so many medications out there.

I'm not sure why so say that chemical imbalances "aren't proven." What proof are you looking for? And how is it different that the (often convoluted and complicated) causes of other medical conditions, many of which are not well understood either?

Taking my words out of context, I was talking about serotonin.

Yes I'm well aware of snris, tryciclical, sdris etc.. The fact is, none of these have ever been proven to be the primary cause of depression. Serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, none. If I give someone ecstacy, of course they are going to feel happy, I'm artificially flooding there brain with neurotransmitters.

Find me one source that proves conclusively this to be the case.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue at this point. You've stated (through this thread) that medication for mental illness is not ideal, that mental illness isn't a medical problem, etc. It sounds like you're just trying to tell OP and anyone else with some sort of mental disorder to "suck it up and get over it."

I did a bit of looking into it, and I'll admit that serotonin isn't "proven" to be the "one cause of depression." Because there isn't. It's complex. Kind of like MS, cancer, and many other medical conditions. And often, there isn't just a simple test for these medical conditions ... they are diagnosed symptomatically, just like mental illnesses. Treatment options vary by symptoms and by patient. Just like mental illness. Sometimes you have to try a few things before you get what works. But that doesn't make them any less of a medical issue.

Not sure what your reference to ecstacy is all about. Unless you're saying that antidepressants are causing a false high? They aren't. Please, don't compare them to an illegal drug.

I'm going to clarify to you, because you're the only person who actually wants to understand what I'm arguing, and doesn't throw out argumentative statements.

I personally don't believe medication to be the only solution, I believe there are many factors out there that affect a person's mental state. Medication should be used as a last resort, When are in a serious mental state that could result in harm to themselves or others.

Whether you agree with that or not is fair enough. But medication is not a solution it merely masks symptoms, not to mention the long term implications of these medications.

Vitamin d has been proven to work, so has magnesium, zinc, exercise, diet, cbt, meditation, sex, I could go on and on. For some reason, I'm bashed continuously on here, and it annoys me. Because the people doing the bashing are the same people who have yet to provide me with a single source that proves there view on medication is correct.

I have not once said medication is a no go, I simply hold the belief that it should be be viewed necessarily as a first line approach, unless the individual is suffering from psychotic symptoms.

I can compare illicit drugs to legal ones, lcd has been shown to help ptsd, cannabis has Been shown to treat depression. The fact is, they have similar but perhaps more potent effects on the mind.

Where did *anybody* say medication was the only answer? And who are you to determine that medication should only be used in cases of self-harm? I can't even...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Depression not serotonin

Depression isn't claimed to be only low serotonin. Wellbutrin is a common anti-depressant. It works mainly on norepinephrine and mildly dopamine.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue at this point. You've stated (through this thread) that medication for mental illness is not ideal, that mental illness isn't a medical problem, etc. It sounds like you're just trying to tell OP and anyone else with some sort of mental disorder to "suck it up and get over it."

I did a bit of looking into it, and I'll admit that serotonin isn't "proven" to be the "one cause of depression." Because there isn't. It's complex. Kind of like MS, cancer, and many other medical conditions. And often, there isn't just a simple test for these medical conditions ... they are diagnosed symptomatically, just like mental illnesses. Treatment options vary by symptoms and by patient. Just like mental illness. Sometimes you have to try a few things before you get what works. But that doesn't make them any less of a medical issue.

Not sure what your reference to ecstacy is all about. Unless you're saying that antidepressants are causing a false high? They aren't. Please, don't compare them to an illegal drug.

I'm going to clarify to you, because you're the only person who actually wants to understand what I'm arguing, and doesn't throw out argumentative statements.

I personally don't believe medication to be the only solution, I believe there are many factors out there that affect a person's mental state. Medication should be used as a last resort, When are in a serious mental state that could result in harm to themselves or others.

Whether you agree with that or not is fair enough. But medication is not a solution it merely masks symptoms, not to mention the long term implications of these medications.

Vitamin d has been proven to work, so has magnesium, zinc, exercise, diet, cbt, meditation, sex, I could go on and on. For some reason, I'm bashed continuously on here, and it annoys me. Because the people doing the bashing are the same people who have yet to provide me with a single source that proves there view on medication is correct.

I have not once said medication is a no go, I simply hold the belief that it should be be viewed necessarily as a first line approach, unless the individual is suffering from psychotic symptoms.

I can compare illicit drugs to legal ones, lcd has been shown to help ptsd, cannabis has Been shown to treat depression. The fact is, they have similar but perhaps more potent effects on the mind.

OK, then, how do you determine "last resort"? You said when there is clear and present danger. But what if you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked. Are we to last resort yet?

Also, I'm noticing you keep referring to what is proven and not. Vit D works if there is a deficiency (but not if the depression is caused by something else). Same thing for other vitamins and minerals. And diet and exercise work great ... until they don't.

Depression is like MS, asthma, lupus, and a myriad of other long-term chronic health conditions. The medication isn't a cure for ANY of these (darn, I wish my asthma were cured already, and my good friend with MS would love to hear that there is a cure and not just something that treats symptoms). We treat the symptoms because that is what allows us to have a semi-normal life. It's different from "masking" symptoms. Masking implies that they are still there underneath and can be causing damage. Treating means we are dealing with the symptoms. It's called a symptomatic approach.

I am going to guess that you don't have first-hand experience with mental illness ... that you haven't experienced its debilitating effects yourself (or probably that of any chronic condition, for that matter). Medication for these illnesses aren't a "happy pill." They aren't a take-it-and-thats-all-you-have-to-do thing. They make it possible for one to do the exercise and diet and talk therapy and positive self talk and get out in the fresh air and go do something with a friend and all those other things that help depression. Because, for some people, all of those other things don't even happen, let alone help, without the medication.

It's true that not everyone needs to be medicated. There are different levels of depression, just like many other chronic illnesses. And the treatment should be considered on an individual basis, based on the patient and what the medical team know of what has been done and what is going on.

You started out this whole debate by advising OP to try other things before the medication and to look at the medication as temporary. This is not good advice from anyone other than her doctor (who knows what they've already tried and how long-term the medication might have to be). When challenged, you asserted that depression isn't a medical condition. That is what has blown everything up (I really hope OP is benefitting from this and that we haven't completely derailed her thread). It seems like everything else you have stated since then is trying to defend your position that depression and other mental illnesses aren't physical conditions. This is where it is problematic.

Whether you agree or not, mental illnesses are medical conditions. That is why a MD is involved in the treatment. To say that they are not belittles (whether intentionally or not) those going through them, as if they have a choice, as if they just need to be stronger, or exercise more, or eat better and it will all go away. And that can prevent those who seriously need treatment and medication from getting it. If we wait until it's a last-ditch effort, until psychosis is involved, it may be too late. Not to mention the stigma that then comes for those who take medication because they tried everything else (or not, it's nobody's business how long they worked on other things before going the medication route).

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. Just be aware that stating things like you did has long-reaching effects and is a major part of the problem when it comes to the discussion of mental health care in this country. (To clarify, it's not you saying it that is the problem, it's that so many people still are of this opinion and state it is such a way).

{edit - had to snip previous posts because of post length???]
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Depression not serotonin

Depression isn't claimed to be only low serotonin. Wellbutrin is a common anti-depressant. It works mainly on norepinephrine and mildly dopamine.

Yeah I've already discussed snri and sdris. I'm well aware.

Guys, sorry, I'm obviously not getting my point across in the correct way, I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at that.

Whatever people decide is up to them, I just know from experience there are other ways to help fight depression, whether that be conjuction with meds or not.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Depression not serotonin

You're right btw, dopamine has been shown to affect depression, and norepinephrine, so has other factors. Different people have different causes
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Some of you seem to forget the r
    Hey,

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

Hey,

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

Wow, that is very very ignorant of you. A "mental" condition IS a physical condition. Just because you do not believe medication is needed does not mean it isn't.

You use that word a lot, you throw it around like you have authority and no what you're talking about it, no, a mental Condition is not a psychical condition, and to compare the 2 is simply ridiculous.

How can you compare multiple sclerosis to minor depression? It's simply absurd. Not everyone needs medication for depression, but everyone with multiple sclerosis does need medication.

You seem to have a continuous need to bash others posts, but don't have anything logical to suggest or advise.

Not everyone needs pain medication for a sprained wrist, not everyone needs it for a headache.
    Can you please explain to me the chemical difference between the substance p that is produced in a depressive's brain, or in someone with a sprained wrist, or multiple sclerosis?

For starters, chemical imbalances in those suffering from neurological disorders is not proven.

I can't even ...

Well, it's good to know that it's all in my head (pun intended).

No, let's get this straight, it's far more complicated than that.

There is no one size fits all and although every spotlight has been put on serotonin as the main cause of depression, the evidence is far from that simple.

No. They are looking at multiple neurotransmitters. SSRIs aren't the only type of medication used to treat depression or anxiety. And serotonin isn't even implicated in some of the other psychiatric conditions.

Professionals recognize that there a multitude of factors, including environment and genetic factors. Genetic factors imply that it is a physical (medical) condition. Some conditions have a higher genetic component than other (done via twin studies that remove the confounding factor that those who share genetics often share environment).

And doctors working with those who have mental illness issues don't generally use a one-size-fits-all approach. That's why there are so many medications out there.

I'm not sure why so say that chemical imbalances "aren't proven." What proof are you looking for? And how is it different that the (often convoluted and complicated) causes of other medical conditions, many of which are not well understood either?

Taking my words out of context, I was talking about serotonin.

Yes I'm well aware of snris, tryciclical, sdris etc.. The fact is, none of these have ever been proven to be the primary cause of depression. Serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, none. If I give someone ecstacy, of course they are going to feel happy, I'm artificially flooding there brain with neurotransmitters.

Find me one source that proves conclusively this to be the case.

I agree with all of the above.

Folks, he's not anti meds in all cases; he's anti-meds as a first line approach.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I bet the OP is glad she started this thread asking for help. She got about 6 on topic replies and 2 1/2 pages of a pissing contest about mental illness. Good ol' MFP forums.
  • kshama2001
    Options

...Depression is like MS, asthma, lupus, and a myriad of other long-term chronic health conditions. The medication isn't a cure for ANY of these (darn, I wish my asthma were cured already, and my good friend with MS would love to hear that there is a cure and not just something that treats symptoms). We treat the symptoms because that is what allows us to have a semi-normal life. It's different from "masking" symptoms. Masking implies that they are still there underneath and can be causing damage. Treating means we are dealing with the symptoms. It's called a symptomatic approach.

I know very little about asthma, but I have read about how cockroach debris can provoke it. So, (in this hypothetical and not at all referring to your own asthma) one can treat asthma provoked by cockroach debris several ways - one can only treat the symptoms, or one can treat the root cause, and make every effort to remove those allergens from ones environment.

Similarly, a doctor with a patient with obesity-related medical issues can treat these issues, but also encourage the patient to deal with the root cause by losing weight.

So many of us have had medical conditions improve or go away after losing weight. That's treating the root cause.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Depression not serotonin

Yeah I've already discussed snri and sdris. I'm well aware.

Guys, sorry, I'm obviously not getting my point across in the correct way, I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at that.

Whatever people decide is up to them, I just know from experience there are other ways to help fight depression, whether that be conjuction with meds or not.

Newsflash: This thread isn't a debate about depression. You've turned it into one. Go read the OP again.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi OP (in case you come back......)

I was on Prozac for about 18 months and during this time I gained about 5 stone. It's important to note, though, that prior to the depressive episode I had actually lost 6 stone and was extremely active doing a lot of sport and I went from this to nothing almost overnight. The Prozac basically got me to a place where making it out of the door to go to work was a major win. So I don't think the medication was to blame for the weight gain, rather the depression itself.

I wish you all the best
    X
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Oh, I should mention that while Prozac suppressed my appetite, I did gain weight while I was on it.

I was pregnant at the time. :p
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hey,

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

Hey,

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

I used this wiki page as a jumping off point and while there is research about schizophrenia and chemical imbalances, I'm not seeing anything conclusive about depression and chemical imbalances.

Chemical imbalance

Chemical imbalances is one hypothesis about the cause of mental illness. Other causes that are debated include psychological and social causes.

The theory argues that neurotransmitter imbalances within the brain are the main causes of psychiatric conditions and that these conditions can be improved with medication which corrects these imbalances. The phrase originated from the scientific study of brain chemistry. In the 1950s the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and tricyclic antidepressants were accidentally discovered to be effective in the treatment of clinical depression.[1]

...Criticisms

According to critics, the chemical imbalance hypothesis has been overpromoted and continues to be advanced as factual by pharmaceutical companies.[10] They believe the general population and many journalists have accepted this hypothesis into their understanding of mental illness uncritically.[11] Some academics believe that the advertisements are oversimplified and don't fully explain what is happening.[12]

...Dr Ronald Pies the current editor in Chief Emeritus of Psychiatric Times on July 11, 2011 wrote " In truth, the “chemical imbalance” notion was always a kind of urban legend- - never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists."[14]

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_imbalance
    http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blogs/couch-crisis/psychiatry-new-brain-mind-and-legend-chemical-imbalance
    http://www.cchr.org/sites/default/files/Blaming_The_Brain_The_Chemical_Imbalance_Fraud.pdf
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Oh, for goodness sake, the OP's medical team wants to put her on Prozac to stabilize her mood and improve her judgement to further her treatment for her eating disorder.

Can this stop being a debate about depression and get back on topic?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Anyone ever been on prozac? My ED specislist and physician are contemplating putting me on it to assist with my binge issues and stabilize my mood and judgement. I fear side effects esp weight gain
    Your experiences if comfortable sharing?

@sarsather - you mention "stabilize my mood" - are you on any traditional mood stabilizers such as those used for treating bipolar?

If bipolar is an issue for you and you are not taking bipolar meds already, you may wish to discuss this with your team: http://blogs.psychcentral.com/bipolar/2009/02/bipolar-disorder-medication-spotlight-prozac-fluoxetine/
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hey,

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

Hey,

Never change MFP.

Never change MFP.
    What she said.

Never change MFP.

Co-signed.

I used this wiki page as a jumping off point and while there is research about schizophrenia and chemical imbalances, I'm not seeing anything conclusive about depression and chemical imbalances.

Chemical imbalance

Chemical imbalances is one hypothesis about the cause of mental illness. Other causes that are debated include psychological and social causes.

The theory argues that neurotransmitter imbalances within the brain are the main causes of psychiatric conditions and that these conditions can be improved with medication which corrects these imbalances. The phrase originated from the scientific study of brain chemistry. In the 1950s the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and tricyclic antidepressants were accidentally discovered to be effective in the treatment of clinical depression.[1]

...Criticisms

According to critics, the chemical imbalance hypothesis has been overpromoted and continues to be advanced as factual by pharmaceutical companies.[10] They believe the general population and many journalists have accepted this hypothesis into their understanding of mental illness uncritically.[11] Some academics believe that the advertisements are oversimplified and don't fully explain what is happening.[12]

...Dr Ronald Pies the current editor in Chief Emeritus of Psychiatric Times on July 11, 2011 wrote " In truth, the “chemical imbalance” notion was always a kind of urban legend- - never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists."[14]

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_imbalance
    http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blogs/couch-crisis/psychiatry-new-brain-mind-and-legend-chemical-imbalance
    http://www.cchr.org/sites/default/files/Blaming_The_Brain_The_Chemical_Imbalance_Fraud.pdf

Interesting information- thx for sharing kshama2001.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Oh, for goodness sake, the OP's medical team wants to put her on Prozac to stabilize her mood and improve her judgement to further her treatment for her eating disorder.

Prozac is traditionally used for depression, not as a mood stabilizer, hence the divergence to depression.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Thank you for reminding us. I agree.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Prozac is traditionally used for depression, not as a mood stabilizer, hence the divergence to depression.

And maybe the OP wasn't exact in her wording.

Regardless, this thread is about the OP's question, not a platform to debate depression treatment.

For goodness sake, now you're diagnosing her with bipolar. Just stop being doctors over the internet. This poor OP!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I agree. I can't believe how off-topic this conversation has become.

The bottom line is that she wants to know if weight gain happens on prozac, and she's gotten varying answers. It's also appropriate to support her by telling her to take her questions to her health care team.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Nah, her original posting was clear. ;)