My primary motivation is now gone... let's see how I react

Options
I started losing my 25 pounds again (fourth time) on November 1, because I was going to Italy in March and I wanted to be back in my size 8 pants. Eating right, keeping at or just under my calorie goals, walking from one to three miles five days a week even if it was raining, being good on Thanksgiving.

Just found out the Italy trip is cancelled. Soooo... what do I do now? Do I keep my head on straight and remind myself that I STILL want those size 8 pants to zip, or do I go home and be a total idiot tonight with red wine and pizza?

My firm intent is to walk my usual 45 minutes at lunchtime, have a turkey sandwich for lunch, have the veggie soup and healthy snacks I had already planned and logged for dinner, and keep working towards my goal weight of 135 as if nothing has changed. I lost 7 pounds in November. I do not want to screw that up. I do NOT. I worked hard to ditch those 7 pounds and I do NOT want to screw it up.

But damn... I DID want to go to Italy. :'(

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for extrinsic reasons only last so long. Once it becomes intrinsic, you won't need much motivation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    You could plan a different reward. Like a road trip or something.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Saw this posted a while ago and it stuck with me: http://www.trainuntamed.com/workout-motivation/
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    A different road trip sounds like a great idea; I'll give that some thought. I love to travel! Thanks also for the link to the motivation video; I'll watch that at home tonight. And yes, I'm trying to keep it all in perspective and remind myself that it wasn't JUST that trip that makes me want to lose the weight... I want to look and feel better at home and at work, not just on vacation. So far I think I'm in a pretty good place mentally to keep up my efforts; I really don't feel like blowing it all, I was just momentarily afraid I might choose that path right after hearing the bad news this morning. Thanks for the support!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Put the pants up and in your line of sight, not having to buy new clothes is a great reason not to gain weight back!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Saw this posted a while ago and it stuck with me: http://www.trainuntamed.com/workout-motivation/

Excellent short video. Everyone should watch it!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    Put the pants up and in your line of sight, not having to buy new clothes is a great reason not to gain weight back!

Actually my legendary cheapness has saved me from getting even heavier than I might have: when I get down to only one or two pair that will zip, I know I have to lose some weight. But I haven't been able to wear these really cute ones for at least a year... I'm looking forward not only to getting back into them, but STAYING at or very near my goal weight this time!
  • hallmark_gal2001
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    I started losing my 25 pounds again (fourth time) on November 1, because I was going to Italy in March and I wanted to be back in my size 8 pants. Eating right, keeping at or just under my calorie goals, walking from one to three miles five days a week even if it was raining, being good on Thanksgiving.

Just found out the Italy trip is cancelled. Soooo... what do I do now? Do I keep my head on straight and remind myself that I STILL want those size 8 pants to zip, or do I go home and be a total idiot tonight with red wine and pizza?

My firm intent is to walk my usual 45 minutes at lunchtime, have a turkey sandwich for lunch, have the veggie soup and healthy snacks I had already planned and logged for dinner, and keep working towards my goal weight of 135 as if nothing has changed. I lost 7 pounds in November. I do not want to screw that up. I do NOT. I worked hard to ditch those 7 pounds and I do NOT want to screw it up.

But damn... I DID want to go to Italy. :'(

So what did you decide to do? Road trip? Save the money for something else?