Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Slim7Dee
    Slim7Dee Posts: 17
    Options
    I think the less you weigh, the less calories you are allocated. Makes sense, as you don't want to put on weight! With 1200 you should still be able to eat and be satisfied. Going back approx 30 years, all woman were allocated 1000 calories and men 1200. So, you're lucky it's not then.

Just make sure you plan your day's meals/snacks ahead and have the fruit and water handy for when the pangs strike.

Best of luck.
  • sharonf1983
    sharonf1983 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mfp set me at 1200 calories, and to be quite honest i actually struggle to get to 1200 per day if im eating good food. Most days im just under 1100, and never feel hungry.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am on 1,200 calories a day, wanting to go from 150 (currently 146 woohoo!) to 125 at 5'4. I have cut out wheat on top of the 1,200 calories which has made me drop 4lbs in a little over a week. I find that when I dont eat foods with wheat I am much more full and can last longer on smaller meals. When I started I was super hungry but now I find that if I eat more than 300 calories at one sitting I am absolutely stuffed. It gets easier with time. I exercise twice a week during a PT session and have a lightly active job in a hospital lab so im constantly running around on my feet.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    mine are 1360 and i realy dont worry about when i go over, and i do go over often:drinker:
  • shortnerdy
    shortnerdy Posts: 131
    Options
    I do. But I'm also 5'1 and 184 pounds when I started. I also lead a sedentary lifestyle office job from home. I set it to lose -2 pounds a week as I've always had issues dropping weight. (Mum says because when I had salmonella as very small child that my body never recovered not sure how much truth there is in that0

I have a week where it's hard to eat 1200 calories because I'm eating HUGE low cal meals. But somdays I want to eat EVERYTHING.

For me It's up and down and trying to manage my cravings.
  • cataug111257
    Options
    Just started on weight loss plan i'm on 1200 cal. per Dr's order praying to loss 40 pounds. good luck ladies:)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    One has to pick a calorie level that one can sustain for years, for life even... if this is supposed to be sustainable. 1200, in my estimation, is hard to maintain lifelong.

But you wouldn't stay at that level for ever. 1200 would only be for loosing weight. Once you have achieved your target weight you would increase the amount to a maintenance level which should in theory keep your weight on an even keel.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I, PERSONALLY, could not live on only 1200 calories. I currently weigh 185, and am only 5'1. My BMR is something like 1600 I think, but I usually aim for about 1300-1400 calories right now. When I ate 1200 and below, I lost weight faster, but I was hungry a lot, and I noticed that the fluctuations of weight up and down were much greater and more frequent. Now, I lose weight much more slowly, but it rarely ever fluctuates at all, just stays very steady, then very slowly keeps going down. I am happy with this, I am not hungry, I could eat like this for the rest of my life, and I know the weight will not come back. :)

But everyone has to do what works for them. There is no one size fits all solution.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

The reason people do it is a typical form of self-sabotage.
    People hear and see all the poop in the media and elsewhere about losing weight fast.

And then there is that absurd TV show "Biggest Loser" - the modern encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
    People need to heed the advice of those who have the fruit behind their philosophy.

In other words if you want success, do what successful people do.
    You've lost over 100lbs - great job!

People need to hear you!

OP is 5 inches taller than me and 50 lbs heavier. She is on her feet at her job more than me. Not being allowed to exercise at all right now, she certainly has way more muscle composition than me and better fitness than me. Why would we have the same calorie needs?
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I do. But I'm 4'11" and 122 pounds.

Sometimes I eat EVEN LESS. "What?!" you say? Yeah, well, I'm short. I'm within normal BMI. My sedentary TDEE is 1600. That means a pound a week means a net of 1100.

Math always wins, my friend.

Plus, my doc said it was cool. Because, you know. Short. Less overall body mass means fewer overall calories needed to maintain, which means much slower weight loss at 1200 calories to begin with.

Am I hungry a lot? Newp. Probably because I'm short and don't need 2000+ calories to maintain.

I don't recommend it for average height ladies or the especially overweight with a lot to lose. It would just be too overwhelming a change for that system. I ESPECIALLY don't recommend it for men.
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    MFP set mine at 1600 but I struggle to eat hat so changed mine to 1220 and even struggle with that! Last year my doc told me to eat just 900 and never lost a lb!! Exercises regularly now and for me that's the key!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    MFP set it for me like that for the holidays - it was 1400 before, because my lifestyle was active, but my lifestyle is sedentary during the holidays, so MFP gives me a lower calorie target. I think it's based on the amount of weight I want to lose and the timespan in which I want to lose it. I wanted to lose 10lb in one month, but apparently that would mean eating less than 1200 calories a day (not sure I believe that, but that is how MPF seems to be programmed) and 1200 is the minimum MFP can allow.

But I don't stick to the calorie limit - sometime I eat less, sometimes more. Depends what my body feels like. Some days I'm hungrier, other days I'm not so hungry.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had mine set to 1200 but I was so horribly depressed and obsessing like crazy over food so I bumped it up to 1600. Feel much better mentally and physically. Haven't lost any weight yet though..lol :/