Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• CitrusLump
    Options
    Mine is set at 1200 cals because I'm starting out at 129lbs and only want to lose between 10 and 15 lbs...I maintain at 129lbs eating around 1500 cals per day so if I want to lose any I have to create a deficit! If I ate any higher I'd never get anywhere!

(I'm including exercise burn/eat back calories in both calculations there)
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    MIne is set at 1200 as well... I am 5ft 4, 69kgs (151lbs) and am trying to get to my goal weight of 62kgs (136lbs). I was alot heavier and lost alot before going on Holiday in September but since coming back and Christmas and all that, I have put about 4kgs back on - so now trying to get that off, plus get to goal.

I work in an office all day but I do try and go to the gym everyday and I don't eat back my excercise calories.

1200 doesn't seem much, but there is actually quite alot you can eat in a meal, I have started making a great veggie bolognaise which is low in calories, but really fills you up :smile:
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want & I can never reach 1200, I'm always below.
    I eat huge grilled chicken salads that are low cal, but I also eat pizza & can still never reach 1200, I've never eaten over 1500 calories on a regular basis, I find if I go over that number, I gain around 3lbs a week.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It was easy with workout calories, but now even if I don't eat back all my exercise calories, or even if I do, I seem to be stuck at 216. It's driving me nuts. Plus my knees are starting to tell me to chill. So I'm seriously considering a few days of being relatively sedentary with 1200 being the max. The only way I can see to do that is lots of coffee and missing two meals out of my three. Not a good thing for a lifetime, but if I try it for a few days maybe it'll kick start me back to losing again, along with yesterday's 2000 calories + feast of shame.

Don't skip. You'll feel awful! I'm set at 1200 because of my job (desk jockey). Eat a lot of fiber filled meals! Yesterday for lunch, I had a salad of spinach, carrots, celery, ground flax, and crumbled cheddar cheese with a touch of dressing for under 200 calories. I had a cup of tea (with a touch of honey) and an apple with it for 250. For dinner, to add a filling touch, I added an extra 1/2 cup (for a full 1 cup) french cut string beans and it was only 10 calories! Plan and you can do it!
  • LittlestStar
    LittlestStar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1200 and find it sometimes relatively easy to keep up (if I fill up on healthier stuff), but occasionally tough if I don't watch what I eat. I'm starving after 1200 calories of sugary treats or chips, but if it's all lentils and brown rice and veggies...I feel quite satisfied.

I think 1200 works ok for me because I'm 5'6" and am already quite thin. My job keeps me massively sedentary, but I try to run afterwards at least 4-5x/week.
  • Alibobba
    Options
    I always eat more than 1200.....my problem was lack of exercise. It's motivation for me to pick up my workout activity, and it works! For me, anyway.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think it depends alot on your size. The bigger and taller you are, the most calories you are "allowed". I'm only 5ft 1 and on days I don't work out, I'm only allowed 1200 calories. If I work out, I eat most of them back and still lose weight.

I'm 5ft 7 & I weighed 187lbs when I joined & mine is still at 1200 because it's the same for everyone if you want to lose the 2lb maximum.
    It's not as bad as LIVESTRONG.com, they let you go as low as 750 calories.
  • kessalove
    kessalove Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    MPF set mine too...I usually do go over especially when I do workout! I don't limit myself on what I eat only on how much I eat...I know that I do sometimes go under but it's a rarity. My BF says I need to eat around 1500 but even that's a lot for my height of 5'1"!!!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1230, I'm 5ft 1 and work a desk job so I really don't need that many calories! i m trying to eat back my exercise calories as sticking to 1200ish has stalled my weight loss, my body got used to it.
    If I want to eat more, I workout more!
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 ft 4 in / started at 334 / have targeted 1200 cals since oct 14 / lost 51 lbs so far / exercise daily and eat back the cals sometimes but not all / THIS WAS DR. DIRECTED / I have a moderately active lifestyle
  • Eternalife23
    Options
    mine sets it at 1400 & everyday it tells me i'm not eating enough. I feel full though after each meal and i'm not starving in between meals. I think yesterday i was at 900 calories total. but i ate, exercised and i was satisfied. do you think less than 1200 is bad? i mean, i shouldn't eat if i'm full right? i'm 5'2, 177.5 pounds. looking to get down to 130
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1420 and there are some days where I am hungry if I don't work out and others I am full and barely make my limit. I think it truly depends on what you eat and your lifestyle. Remember something that has a lot of fiber in it will be more filling than something that doesn't so you need to look at all of that. If your body is hungry it may be it didn't get enough and you need to give it a little more. Of course I say this in reason.
  • Jessyrabbit
    Jessyrabbit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    mine are set according to MFP standards. for my height and weight I can only eat 1220 caolories a day! I'm 5'3 and 143lbs trying to get down to 140. and thats set ate one lb a week!
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    i am
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 per day. I believe MFP set my calories based upon my height, weight, and what I want to lose. But again, it wasn't me who set the number. I don't eat back my workout calories unless I'm hungry. If I can go without, I do.

I have no problems with my 1200 per day. I eat 5 times a day and have no issues because I snack in between! It works well!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I always see people who have their calories set on 1200 per day. Why so low?

I weigh 160, am 5'5", and have mine set at 1600. That's without eating back exercise calories. I have my settings on lightly active, as I am a teacher. I generally exercise 5x/week. I could NOT get by on 1200 calories per day.

How do you all do it?

Discipline and only eating when you're hungry not eating when you want to try this and that and knowing what foods will give you the biggest bang for your buck nutrition wise.
  • Mirimuffin
    Mirimuffin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 but I never eat back my workout calories and usually I only eat 600~700 calories a day (without the workout). Makes a net of 100 calories. I could eat more but only because it tastes good, it's not the hunger making me eat :)
  • Fit2Fifty
    Options
    My first post! Hello all! One week newbie here!

Wow, eating right is amazingly difficult after so many years of gluttony. So far I've found this site to be fun and informative, though just about as tedious to get used to. It's main job, however, has been to make me fully aware of what is going into my body; eye-opening, to say the least! To me, MFP seems like a very good tool to see just what your body is getting, and how to juggle it around to balance it throughout the day.

I am 5'4" and 197 lbs, and want to lose about 50 lbs. I'm sedentary and chose 1lb. a week to lose, because that's what my doctor recommended. MFP put me on 1390 calories. I've yet to start exercising, and I don't understand what everyone is talking about "eating back exercise calories". QUESTION: Can someone explain please?

What I do understand is that everyone's plight is going to be different, because everyone's body is different - not just height and weight, but metabolism and general health. Willpower is another thing that will differ. Give each other slack and support, I say, because we are all in the same 'general' boat here!

:)

14571873.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    I am a teacher, too. With after school meetings, union activities, etc I am usually too tired to work out. I find with MFP that if I want to eat more than 1210 (my count) I need to exercise to earn it. I've lost 20 pounds in three and a half months, with another 35 to go. I walk 1/2 mile every recess I can. I find I am energized when I go back into the classroom. I am down a size in slacks, but still considered obese yet.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I began at 1500 calories per day and slowly decreased it to 1200. As you lose weight and continue on, you will find that you aren't as hungry as you might be right now at this stage in your weight loss.

Honestly, it depends on the person. If you are losing and happy with 1600 per day, then eat 1600 per day. As for me, I would have great difficulty trying to eat 1600.