Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    im in a body fat loss contest right now and trying to be very specific in what i eat, when i eat ect..i eat so healthy im not hungry . i eat six times a day. its crazy because i never ever had a problem eating tons of food. now i have to eat just because its necessary.. im under the care of a doctor and the doctor is blown away at how my my health improved. once this contest is over and im back to heavy weight lifting my calories will increase to help me meet my goals of weight lifting .. if i felt my body needed more calories i would definitely do that .
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and manage fine without feeling hungry, as I am ceoliac and diabetic I also eat gluten free and sugar free so that may help me keep under :-)
  • Djnaz68
    Djnaz68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,
    When I joined my fitness pal, the program set my Kcals after I entered the info it asked for. Believe me, I would like to eat more calories--interestingly, I ate more Kcals than 1200 before joining; only it was candy and crap. Now that I am eating veggies and really working to get the proper nutrients, I have trouble eating the full 1200. So far, I am just going with what the program tells me--i am really new to this so it may take some time. BTW, I love your before and after pics. Jeree
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    I am at 1200 because I opted to loose 2 pounds a week. If you opt to loose 1 pound or 1.5 the calorie intake will be more. Additionally, your lifestyle accounts for alot. I have a very sedentary lifestyle with the job I have been working the past five years. All of my other jobs were very active ( of course I didn't weigh nearly as much then). Fruits and vegtables have low calories and are very filling. Some days I do eat my exercise points. If I am not hungry I will not make myself eat.
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    I agree with you. I've knocked out alot of processed foods. I still have pretzels or goldfish, but I do more veggies and fruits. I used to complain that they costs so much more. They do, but if I have a banana or apple, I'm not hungry thirty minutes later. If I eat chips thirty minutes later I want to eat again.
  • xmandadollx
    xmandadollx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories only because MFP gave me that many to work with every day. I am not sure how the total is calculated but it probably has to do with goals, current weight, etc. I thought I would get more calories but I am going to trust that it knows better than me! I've tried everything else and this is my last resort :)
  • JayneDugger
    Options
    I only get 1200 calories, but I exercise so that I can have more, otherwise, I would also feel hungry. :smile:
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do, and it's torture:grumble:
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    1200 is difficult when you eat foods that are high calorie or high sugar. If you are eating fiber rich and high protein foods primarily it 1200 is hard to get to.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I noticed that most people who have calorie limits of 1200, are smaller folks. They are under 5'3. I think the lowest setting for me was 1290 for a 2 lb/week (and I'm 5'9!). That means (to me and correct me if I am wrong) that I should have eaten 1290 calories at the end of the day. That means if I exercise, I need to eat those calories back or I will be in starvation mode and the breaking down of muscle will commence.

I burn anywhere between 500-100 calories a day so I need ALLLL the food I can. I'll take some off your hands if you want. =P

5499814.png
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I only have 1200 calories a day because I'm pretty much sedentary. I'm in med school so not only am I in class all day, but when I get home, all I do is sit on my butt all day studying. I do however eat any exercise calories I get.

Honestly, when I first started, it was tough because I was used to eating a bunch of high calorie crap. Now however, I'm working on improving the kind of food I'm eating and it isn't all that hard. Fruits and veggies go a whole lot farther on filling you up. Also, I've cut down on a lot of the bread and dairy I eat since that was pretty much my main food source before I started. It's made me try new things and I feel a whole lot better. (I'm lactose intolerant but could eat cereal for every meal because I LOOOOVE it.)

Honestly, if you're struggling on 1200 calories a day, you're either not eating back your exercise calories, more active than you think you are, or eating the wrong things.
  • reicutie
    Options
    I'm at 1200.. i chose to loose 2lbs/week.. i also set a deadline to meet my desired weight, so i really choose what i eat.. in case i eat more, then i have to burn those calories.. i have a very sedentary lifestyle.. i work from home 8 to 10 hours a day so mostly i'm in front of my computer and doesn't do much activity... i just started last week, and i lost 6 lbs already.. eating less than 1200 calories a day, other days a bit more.. but i'm also doing some cardio activities, mostly walking.. and when i get a craving for food, i drink water.. lots and lots of water.. i eat when my stomach needs to eat and not when my brain tells me i want to eat something.. :)
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    1200 is what I started at....but that is only b/c I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week. You see it a lot b/c that is everyones goal! Just like what everyone else has said....

That said, I have never eatten 1200 calories....like you I would not be able to do it! I have always eatten back most of my exercise calories....that is why I exercised at first....so I could eat more :-)

There are going to be several different reponses....Everyone has to find out what works for them....

In my opnion I have done what is best for me......Yes I wanted to lose weight but I also wanted to keep the weight off...so as I have gone through my journey I have been increasing my calories and have not gained any weight (except over the holidays a couple of pounds...but that was the pounds of junk I was eatting) and.....I FEEL NO GUILT ABOUT IT!!!!!

If people are still on 1200 when they hit maintance and stop tracking the likelyhood that they will gain back the weight is higher! But again that is just my opinion!!!! I am sure people will freak out!

Watch any of the weightloss shows,- biggest loser or extreme makeover weightloss edition(Chris powell) they all say eat more lose weight! You just have to choose the right things and break it up through out the day to work your metabolism!!!!!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I am 5'3 currently 131 lbs (down from 155 lbs) with a goal of 125lbs. I have been on 1200 calories since I started on MFP.
    I workout about 5-7 days a week. I run and take fitness classes. So typically I eat about 1400 calories. but If I miss a day of working out...it is REALLY hard to stay at 1200 calories. I try to stay at 300 cal each for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I can do it all except dinner. I cant seem to find a good 300 calorie dinner.
  • Dmarten
    Dmarten Posts: 19
    Options
    My doctor set mine at 1200 a day. I eat what seems like all day, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and there are many days I struggle to get to 1200. I work out 45-75 mins a day , 6 days a week . You can do it, it will just take some time to get used too.
  • truNahlidge
    Options
    I have mine at 1200..but i haven't made it yet. I'm 5'0, 139, and just started exercising daily.....
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    No so... I eat whole foods, veggies, good fats, some fruit and do not eat processed foods nor sugar (except 1 tea spoon in my coffee). I would starve on 1200 calories a day. MFP set me at 1240, with very low protein and fat and very high carbs. Switched it to 30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat as well as lowered my sodium intake to 1500 mg. I've upped my calories to 1400 and am losing consistently. My body fat % has also dropped by almost 4% and I have NO problem reaching 1400 and would go for more! I work-out very hard, but only twice a week.

Edit: I'm 5'7'' and currently weigh 151.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    1500 here :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I always see people who have their calories set on 1200 per day. Why so low?

I weigh 160, am 5'5", and have mine set at 1600. That's without eating back exercise calories. I have my settings on lightly active, as I am a teacher. I generally exercise 5x/week. I could NOT get by on 1200 calories per day.

How do you all do it?
    The reason people do it is a typical form of self-sabotage.
    People hear and see all the poop in the media and elsewhere about losing weight fast.

And then there is that absurd TV show "Biggest Loser" - the modern encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
    People need to heed the advice of those who have the fruit behind their philosophy.

In other words if you want success, do what successful people do.
    You've lost over 100lbs - great job!

People need to hear you!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I land anywhere between 1150 and 1300, depending. I've never had any hunger issues. I follow the old WW points system and use MFP as a tool to log and watch sodium intake. I've lost 60 lbs so far and do not eat back exercise calories. I do both aerobics and mild strength training. I feel like I get plenty to eat and even have dessert and an evening snack every night.