Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• hisfitwife11
    hisfitwife11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 a day. I am losing some fat while building muscle... I'm 40 5' 5 and 109 lbs.. I'm skinny fat..is what its called. I've been so called underweight all my life. I was more muscular and need to get it back. I am trying to get my food plan right. I did starve the first two days..so I upped my protien..dry tuna and such. It works. :flowerforyou:
  • Boring2Fit
    Options
    The amount of calories one has varies on the person's height and weight, etc.
    If i want to lose 1 pound per week then I have to eat 1200 calories but for others it may be different due to a different height/weight.
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am only 5''1" so my calories are always low. Plus I only have a short time to lose a lot of weight. Based on my goals MFP set me at 1200. I bought Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and it came with a free diet plan for the 30 days. It too is set at 1200 calories and it actually keeps me full all day.
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically set me at 1200 - I'm 5' 6.5 , SW=200 - and have been pretty sedentary. I wanted to lose the 2 lbs per week (at least). I've only been on here consistently for the last 30 days, but I've begun exercising and feeling TONS better. I'm also trying to stay a little bit under, but I do come pretty close to the limit. And I try to eat most of my exercise calories, too. The first couple of weeks, I was a bit hungry, but I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies, and have a little hot tea at night which helps curb the munchies and satisfies me much better. I think my weight loss is coming along quite nicely, as I'm down about 10 lbs at this point (am updating in the morning - trying to be consistent with the Monday morning weigh-in that I started). I can definitely see a difference in my physique, and am excited to continue to my goal!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 2110 I believe, but for some reason I feel like ive eaten too much if I get to even 1600 calories. I think I need to get over that, though, because ive come to a standstill. Think ill start zig sagging.
  • laineyy011
    Options
    I rarely eat the 1200 that I am supposed to. I get full so easily off what I do eat.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm only at 1320. That's plenty for me though, so long as I eat smart throughout the day. It usually ends up being 3 good meals and two snacks :)
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 118lbs mine is set to lose .5 lbs a week and it still puts me at 1200 calories
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I eat far less than 1200 cals a day usually between 700-900 a day...only because I am on a program called Medifast...I have been on this since Aug 20,2011(268lbs) and have lost about 60lbs so far as of today Jan 8th;) (208.4lbs) Once I get to my goal weight 150lbs I am 5'7.5" I will go into maintenance and take my cal intake up slowly and gradually reintegrate back into the "normal food arena" I am learning not just to eat,but how,what and why and how my body reacts depending on what I eat...I have worked out maybe a handful of times and will begin working out again consistently this time on Jan 18th for 10-15 min a day for about a week n then move up 5 min a week after that...the max I am allowed on Medifast is 45 min a day moderate exercise as less than 1000 cal isn't enough to sustain me to workout more;) I burn fat and not muscle and I am monitored by my doctor who approves my choice of a weightloss plan and I am as healthy as ever;) I have some friends who eat 1200 cals a day and they eat 4-6 times a day and drink at least 64 oz of water a day they workout but its not a 700 cal burn more like 250-300;) So I say whatever works for u as long as u r staying healthy and learning in the process;) My avg loss is 2-5 lbs a week and I have a slips and bumps in the road like all but I learn and get back up;) But 1200.cals or less is not something I repeat not something that is recommended for life;) now that would be silly;)
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 124lbs. At 1200 calories/day I lose less than a pound a week. If I eat anything over 1500 cals, MFP predicts I will gain weight. I did eat ~1500-2000 calories for a couple months and gained almost 10 pounds exactly as MFP predicted. So 1200 it is.
  • TheBooBooStew
    TheBooBooStew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My dietician put me on 1200 calories a day and I have a hard time eating them all. I am type II diabetic so I have to choose meals that equal up to 45 carbs, and one snack of 15 carbs. It is hard but I am learning and my sugars are slowly getting back under control. Anyone that is under 1200 calories is starving their bodies, (my dietician told me that). So I try to eat them all.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Mine has been at 1200 since I started, and, with my exercise calories, I eat just fine. I notice I have more food entries than most of my pals. I exercise almost daily, so I generally have extra calories I can eat. As much as possible, I stick with high-volume, low-calorie foods, so I'm rarely hungry. If I am hungry, I'll grab a piece of fruit, a few nuts, or a cheese stick. In the beginning, I found it hard to net close to 1200, but I've gotten much better. :wink:

Edit: I'm 5'5", 140 lbs., working to get to 130 lbs.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I started I wanted to do 1200 and it went well for me. I learned how to choose nutrition dense foods and meet my caloric goal. Then when I had lost over 50 lbs. I decided to slow it down for the sake of health. I used the MFP calculator to determine my calories. I was surprised to see that it calculated 1280 so I guess I was not that far off from where I was supposed to be. But I do know you have to check in periodically and allow the calculator to recalculate the number of calories you can have. As you loose weight it changes.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    MFP sets mine at 1200, but my own calculations say I should be at 1300. So I've got it set to 1200, but I'm still happy as long as I'm under 1300.

That's for weight loss. When I've reached my GW, I'll increase to around 1800 to maintain.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Mine was set that way when i signed up, but very rarely do i only eat 1200, i usually eat back most of my exercise calories. The only time i eat 1200 is when i don't exercise for the day but even then i log everything, from the walking i do for the day and cleaning, and of course carring around my hip baby, so it really is not like i eat 1200 calories. I love to eat i love food so when i can't or don't work out i find foods that will fill me up, i stretch out my foods where i do eat at least every 3 hours. I want to lose weight but i deffinatly don't want to starve.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have that set as my base, but I usually have exercise calories to add to that, and I eat them back. When I don't have exercise calories, I'll usually go over for a day, because I've found that going over every week or two seems to help speed up my weight loss (been losing or maintaining for 5 years now). So, I have it set to 1200, but almost never eat that little.
  • CornbreadCountryFed
    Options
    I set mine to 1000 cause I want to loose this flab!
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    When I first set up my MFP app I was at 1280, then I lower it to 1200 because I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, but after a few days I was starving at the end of the night and even more hungry earlier in the morning. I felt weak and had little to no energy to bust out my long usual workouts, now I'm up to 1420
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    mine is set at around 1200 too.. i'm not overweight to begin with, and i'm not very tall. to keep 1200 a day, i can't really snack.. 3 meals a day, that's it. i'm just starting out, my biggest problem is binging at night. i try to eat till i'm pretty full for dinner so then i dont think about snacking.. i really hope i can do this!!!! good luck everyone!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I think it depends alot on your size. The bigger and taller you are, the most calories you are "allowed". I'm only 5ft 1 and on days I don't work out, I'm only allowed 1200 calories. If I work out, I eat most of them back and still lose weight.