Colonoscopy - Ugh!!!

Options
Raynne413
Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
Ok, so I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy in a few weeks. Considering I am 33, I was really hoping to not have to worry about this for, oh, another 20-30 years. *sigh* Coming from an eating disordered background, the idea of going almost two days with nothing to eat is already causing me issues.

For those of you that have gone through this, was there ANYTHING you discovered you could eat during that time? My Dr's list essentially just said I could have any beverages that weren't purple or red, and I have to drink an entire bottle of Maalox, a quart of Gatorade mixed with Metamucil (or something like that), and no dairy. And starting three days before, no nuts, seeds, fruits, or raw veggies.

Any advice??

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    WOW- My doctor said nothing after 6 the previous day before ----Mon at 6 pm Wednesday morning they went drilling...lol..
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had to follow a low (REALLY low) fiber diet for 3 days before the procedure and then the whole liquids only thing the night before. I pretty much stuck with grilled chicken and applesauce for lunches. Drank chicken broth, ate jello and ice pops...stuff like that. Sorry, it's been 2 or 3 years since I had my last one.

And now, for the REAL advice. I don't know about the endoscopy but the colonoscopy is a piece of cake. Seriously, it was like a well needed nap for me.

The worst part is the night before when you're in the bathroom most of the time. So make sure your phone and laptop and tablet are all charged up. Or you have a nice, engaging book to read. :) I didn't need it but other advice online said vaseline for the roughness from all the rubbing.

If you google something like pre-colonoscopy diet, you'll get links with what you can eat and until when.

Oooooo also, I had to drink this powder mixed into a gallon of water instead of maalox. I just added a touch of orange crush powdered mix to each glass and it didn't taste all that bad. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weird!....Well, there's always healthy fats...at least for a few calories....
  • Raynne413
    Options
    WOW- My doctor said nothing after 6 the previous day before ----Mon at 6 pm Wednesday morning they went drilling...lol..

Lucky you!!!
    I had to follow a low (REALLY low) fiber diet for 3 days before the procedure and then the whole liquids only thing the night before. I pretty much stuck with grilled chicken and applesauce for lunches. Drank chicken broth, ate jello and ice pops...stuff like that. Sorry, it's been 2 or 3 years since I had my last one.

Thanks! Guess I better stock up on Jello and Popsicles. Great time of year for that! ;)
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Ok, so I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy in a few weeks. Considering I am 33, I was really hoping to not have to worry about this for, oh, another 20-30 years. *sigh* Coming from an eating disordered background, the idea of going almost two days with nothing to eat is already causing me issues.

For those of you that have gone through this, was there ANYTHING you discovered you could eat during that time? My Dr's list essentially just said I could have any beverages that weren't purple or red, and I have to drink an entire bottle of Maalox, a quart of Gatorade mixed with Metamucil (or something like that), and no dairy. And starting three days before, no nuts, seeds, fruits, or raw veggies.

Any advice??

My father had this done, he was able to have broth. He had beef broth and chicken broth alike. But sadly it was liquid only until after the procedure took place.

When its over have a big lunch! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine was 48 hours of clear liquids. Broth was a God send.

Then the jug of go-lightly. I added crystal light lemonade powder to it, to help choke it down.
  • glassyo
    Options
    I just went through my logs for the few days prior to the procedure and, you know, what? I ate normally for the 2 days before I had to go all liquid on the night before. I just kept my fiber down to like 10 grams.

I also sucked on some hard candy on the day before along with the jello and ice pops.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I just went through my logs for the few days prior to the procedure and, you know, what? I ate normally for the 2 days before I had to go all liquid on the night before. I just kept my fiber down to like 10 grams.

I also sucked on some hard candy on the day before along with the jello and ice pops.

Thanks! I guess essentially I'll go back to keto for the days before I have to quit eating all together. Well, except I can't have cheese. :(

Guess I need to add broth to my shopping list!

Thank again everybody!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Thanks! I guess essentially I'll go back to keto for the days before I have to quit eating all together. Well, except I can't have cheese. :(

Guess I need to add broth to my shopping list!

Thank again everybody!

Definitely follow what YOUR doctor says. Some folks need 24 hours, some folks need 48 hours of liquid only. Follow your doctors orders for you.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Different doctors will recommend different protocols. Follow whatever directions your doctor gave. And remember that it's for a (relatively) short time period. You can do it!

The procedures are a breeze. Nothing to worry about at all. You essentially get to take a really good nap and when you wake up it's all done and over with and you don't remember a thing. And then you get to go eat a really good meal. ;)
  • glassyo
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Different doctors will recommend different protocols. Follow whatever directions your doctor gave. And remember that it's for a (relatively) short time period. You can do it!

The procedures are a breeze. Nothing to worry about at all. You essentially get to take a really good nap and when you wake up it's all done and over with and you don't remember a thing.

Until they show you the pictures! :)

But, yeah, follow the doctor's orders which absolutely sounds like low fiber (they want that so...um...it's easier to clean yourself out before they have to get all up in there) those first few days.

• soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

Any advice??

My mom is going through this now she is scared too, but they said no food for a day not two days. Im surprised seeing as your so young i'm surprised you need one at all hope its nothing serious. I believe the doctor said that it is ok to eat jello, pudding and ice cream, but double check with your Dr. First
  • Raynne413
    Options

Any advice??

My mom is going through this now she is scared too, but they said no food for a day not two days. Im surprised seeing as your so young i'm surprised you need one at all hope its nothing serious. I believe the doctor said that it is ok to eat jello, pudding and ice cream, but double check with your Dr. First

I've stopped absorbing iron and finally, after two iron infusions in a year, found a doctor that cares about why instead of just telling me that "some" people just don't absorb iron. So not necessarily life threatening as long as I get the iron infusions every time my levels drop, but I constantly feel like cr@p. :)

Thanks I'm going to make a list of suggestions, and then call the dr and ask which of them I can have.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

Any advice??

I've stopped absorbing iron and finally, after two iron infusions in a year, found a doctor that cares about why instead of just telling me that "some" people just don't absorb iron. So not necessarily life threatening as long as I get the iron infusions every time my levels drop, but I constantly feel like cr@p. :)

Thanks I'm going to make a list of suggestions, and then call the dr and ask which of them I can have.

Ahhh that makes sense. They think my mom may have an ulcer. Im pretty sure i lack iron, im always freezing even when I lived in Iraq and Vegas with 130 degree heat lol
  • Raynne413
    Options

Any advice??

Ahhh that makes sense. They think my mom may have an ulcer. Im pretty sure i lack iron, im always freezing even when I lived in Iraq and Vegas with 130 degree heat lol

Yes, Winter is my enemy! LOL
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »

The procedures are a breeze. Nothing to worry about at all. You essentially get to take a really good nap and when you wake up it's all done and over with and you don't remember a thing. And then you get to go eat a really good meal. ;)

This. Had both done. They really were a breeze. I was not absorbing iron for a period of time also.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    My husband is a survivor of colon cancer (he had it at the age of 35!) and he has to go for a colonoscopy every 2-3 years. He just has tea and chicken broth. My mom is diabetic and so is allowed to have things like Ensure, so her blood sugar doesn't get too low, but she also has to go longer without actual food (like 3 days!).
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had both tests done, seperately though. with the endoscopy it was clear liquids for the day before the test with nothing purple or red.. could have things like gatorade, jello, broth, popsicles coffee or tea without cream in it... with my colonoscopy I was not allowed to have anything with fiber for the week before, then 3 days before I was started on a clear liquid diet same liquid as the endoscopy diet suggested and then 12 hours before test I was nothing to eat or drink. I had to drink a big gallon jug of a special mix plus was on a laxative.

good luck to you
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am having the same thing done on Monday with similar pre-procedure instructions. This is probably TMI but my friend suggested I have a lot of reading material in my bathroom so I don't get bored since I'll will be "hanging out" there a lot this weekend. ;)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My husband goes every five years, started at age 30. His mom is a colon cancer survivor and his dad has had precancerous polyps removed. Both got tested and it is a genetic trait therefore their children must be monitored. He is usually allowed to drink broths, all liquids with dull colors, and jello. Sucking on clear colored candies was also allowed. Be aware that they tell you to bring a driver because the drugs make you dopey. What we did not expect was the fact that he could act so normal after the procedure(aside from a bit high and giggly he could have normal conversations and acted like himself) but...he has no memory of the 18hours after we left the hospital. He could type in his credit card pin at McDonald's for food but has no recollection of eating or even how he got from vehicle to house. Just woke up the next morn and started asking me questions. I told him next time I will take him shopping. "But honey, you said that four pairs of shoes was perfectly alright!" Lol