Colonoscopy - Ugh!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had this done when I was living in a remote community. We had to book a hotel room overnight to clean myself out before the procedure. I brought a cooler full of allowed liquid foods. Apply the Vaseline pro-actively to prevent burning. Believe me, once the purgative is downed, you won't be going anywhere.

I had Jell-O, clear chicken broth, other drinks. The rest is a blur. And yes, the test was a breeze. Around here they administer the "forgetfulness" (date rape) pill so technically, I wasn't even under. But I have no memory of the event.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had a colonoscopy done.....awake and undrugged.....not a problem just a tad uncomfortable
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    My husband goes every five years, started at age 30. His mom is a colon cancer survivor and his dad has had precancerous polyps removed. Both got tested and it is a genetic trait therefore their children must be monitored. He is usually allowed to drink broths, all liquids with dull colors, and jello. Sucking on clear colored candies was also allowed. Be aware that they tell you to bring a driver because the drugs make you dopey. What we did not expect was the fact that he could act so normal after the procedure(aside from a bit high and giggly he could have normal conversations and acted like himself) but...he has no memory of the 18hours after we left the hospital. He could type in his credit card pin at McDonald's for food but has no recollection of eating or even how he got from vehicle to house. Just woke up the next morn and started asking me questions. I told him next time I will take him shopping. "But honey, you said that four pairs of shoes was perfectly alright!" Lol

LOL I'll make sure I don't tell my driver that! :) It's probably good that I'm going now anyway because my Mumm also had pre-cancerous polyps removed last year.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    I had a colonoscopy done.....awake and undrugged.....not a problem just a tad uncomfortable

Ow! I will consider myself lucky!!!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had both procedures at the same time. Right before I went under I reminded the doc not to use the same instrument for both ends.

I was allowed jello, broth, and ICE CREAM the day before.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ice cream? That's unusual since it is not a clear liquid and it is dairy. The prep is hell but the actual test is easy. I have Crohn's so I am very familiar with colonoscopies and actually it saved my life. I was very close to perforating when I was diagnosed with Crohn's through a colonoscopy.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Ok, so I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy in a few weeks. Considering I am 33, I was really hoping to not have to worry about this for, oh, another 20-30 years. *sigh* Coming from an eating disordered background, the idea of going almost two days with nothing to eat is already causing me issues.

For those of you that have gone through this, was there ANYTHING you discovered you could eat during that time? My Dr's list essentially just said I could have any beverages that weren't purple or red, and I have to drink an entire bottle of Maalox, a quart of Gatorade mixed with Metamucil (or something like that), and no dairy. And starting three days before, no nuts, seeds, fruits, or raw veggies.

Any advice??

My mom is going through this now she is scared too, but they said no food for a day not two days. Im surprised seeing as your so young i'm surprised you need one at all hope its nothing serious. I believe the doctor said that it is ok to eat jello, pudding and ice cream, but double check with your Dr. First

I've stopped absorbing iron and finally, after two iron infusions in a year, found a doctor that cares about why instead of just telling me that "some" people just don't absorb iron. So not necessarily life threatening as long as I get the iron infusions every time my levels drop, but I constantly feel like cr@p. :)

Thanks I'm going to make a list of suggestions, and then call the dr and ask which of them I can have.

I have severe anaemia from Crohn's bleeding in my intestines and malabsorption when flaring. I had 8 iron infusions and 5 blood transfusions and my iron was still 0 and very low hemoglobin until my drugs pulled me out of the flare
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Ok, so I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy in a few weeks. Considering I am 33, I was really hoping to not have to worry about this for, oh, another 20-30 years. *sigh* Coming from an eating disordered background, the idea of going almost two days with nothing to eat is already causing me issues.

For those of you that have gone through this, was there ANYTHING you discovered you could eat during that time? My Dr's list essentially just said I could have any beverages that weren't purple or red, and I have to drink an entire bottle of Maalox, a quart of Gatorade mixed with Metamucil (or something like that), and no dairy. And starting three days before, no nuts, seeds, fruits, or raw veggies.

Any advice??

My mom is going through this now she is scared too, but they said no food for a day not two days. Im surprised seeing as your so young i'm surprised you need one at all hope its nothing serious. I believe the doctor said that it is ok to eat jello, pudding and ice cream, but double check with your Dr. First

I've stopped absorbing iron and finally, after two iron infusions in a year, found a doctor that cares about why instead of just telling me that "some" people just don't absorb iron. So not necessarily life threatening as long as I get the iron infusions every time my levels drop, but I constantly feel like cr@p. :)

Thanks I'm going to make a list of suggestions, and then call the dr and ask which of them I can have.

I have severe anaemia from Crohn's bleeding in my intestines and malabsorption when flaring. I had 8 iron infusions and 5 blood transfusions and my iron was still 0 and very low hemoglobin until my drugs pulled me out of the flare

Did you have any symptoms other than the iron? I have no real gastro issues, just being exhausted and losing iron. I worry about Chrohn's because my father has it. And both he and my grandmother have diverticulitis.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Yes, bloody diarrhea 20+ times a day, exhaustion, rash and very sudden weight loss 20 lbs in 2 weeks when I was only bmi 20 to begin with). I had tachycardia and was weak but that was from the anaemia
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My husband, who is a big guy and high risk (diabetic, overweight, and family history of polyps, cancer) had one last year. He just brought laptop and cell phone in the bathroom, along with a couple of books. He weathered the procedure in good form. However, I'm 50+ and am supposed to have one myself, the routine one you have to have after age 50, and almost scheduled one this summer, but had some friends tell me some scary stuff -- one had a perforated bowel that needed surgery after the colonoscopy caused some damage. One woman was "out cold" for 8 hours after the anesthesia supposedly wore off so the medical professionals were quite concerned, and one other person lost his wife -- she died immediately following from sudden drop in blood pressure (she wasn't elderly or unhealthy, just around my age). All of these women were 45-55 and small size, like me. I'm starting to wonder what my risk of these side effects are versus actually getting colon cancer; I don't have a family history of colon cancer, and my mom, who is 86 and in perfect health, never had a colonoscopy. After hearing these horror stories, I'm actually on the fence about having one unless I show some medical indications. I've heard that there is another test that is noninvasive that can provide the same information. However, I know for Crohn's and diverticulusois and related conditions, the colonoscopy is the only way to detect if there's a problem; fortunately, that's not an issue for me.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Yes, bloody diarrhea 20+ times a day, exhaustion, rash and very sudden weight loss 20 lbs in 2 weeks when I was only bmi 20 to begin with). I had tachycardia and was weak but that was from the anaemia

Then I can definitely say that is not my problem. And I'm very sorry to hear you went through all of that!
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Follow the doctors outline, it's only a short time. Not a big deal. I'm 64 and have had a number of them. Only suggestion is have some sugar free gum on hand for the Hungary moments etc.
  • lorinbc
    lorinbc Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you would like to have a laugh about colonoscopies look up Dave Barry's account. Very funny
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    My husband, who is a big guy and high risk (diabetic, overweight, and family history of polyps, cancer) had one last year. He just brought laptop and cell phone in the bathroom, along with a couple of books. He weathered the procedure in good form. However, I'm 50+ and am supposed to have one myself, the routine one you have to have after age 50, and almost scheduled one this summer, but had some friends tell me some scary stuff -- one had a perforated bowel that needed surgery after the colonoscopy caused some damage. One woman was "out cold" for 8 hours after the anesthesia supposedly wore off so the medical professionals were quite concerned, and one other person lost his wife -- she died immediately following from sudden drop in blood pressure (she wasn't elderly or unhealthy, just around my age). All of these women were 45-55 and small size, like me. I'm starting to wonder what my risk of these side effects are versus actually getting colon cancer; I don't have a family history of colon cancer, and my mom, who is 86 and in perfect health, never had a colonoscopy. After hearing these horror stories, I'm actually on the fence about having one unless I show some medical indications. I've heard that there is another test that is noninvasive that can provide the same information. However, I know for Crohn's and diverticulusois and related conditions, the colonoscopy is the only way to detect if there's a problem; fortunately, that's not an issue for me.

I think your risk of cancer is probably higher than dying from a colonoscopy. Deaths from anethesia are very rare and if you are worried about that they can do it without anethesia. Everyone should have regular colonoscopies after a certain age. Colorectal cancer is quite treatable if caught early.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    lorinbc wrote: »
    If you would like to have a laugh about colonoscopies look up Dave Barry's account. Very funny

OMG, yes. I had mine in March and reading that was great. Made me feel better about the whole idea. I also laughed so hard I couldn't catch my breath. Just read it before you take the laxatives.

Follow the instructions given. My provider uses a company that sends you the instructions and prep, both written and in email reminders as the time approaches (waking up to see an email from them sucked, but it was helpful). Had to do the low fiber five or so days beforehand (you'll appreciate it later). Mostly I read labels so I didn't go too close to the daily fiber allowance. Did the Miralax/Gatorade combo the day before. I read a lot of tips in a thread on this site - reading material and an ipad, Kindle, phone in each bathroom. Disposable wet wipes are a must. I bought a pack for each bathroom - you'll appreciate them afterwards as well. Vaseline or butt paste between all the fun. I wore loose, easy to remove yoga pants. My prep included drinking 64 oz of the Miralax/Gatorade combo, so I bought a 32 oz water bottle that I knew I'd never want to see again, rather than use the one I have at home now. ( It took me weeks before I could walk past the Gatorade in the supermarket without flinching and I still have not had any since). This is because it gets to the point where all that's coming out is the Gatorade and mine was lemon/lime.

My liquid diet consisted of jello - the prep company sends you a box, plus some broth. I bought lots of ice pops and more jello. I didn't use as much as I thought I would.

The procedure was no where near as bad as I thought. They told me their goal was not to have me unconscious - I said "Yes, it is!!" - but to be comfortable. I was awake for a lot of it, I watched the screen, but felt no pain/discomfort of any kind. Afterwards I was starving, so I suggest planning ahead to where you want to eat and celebrate. My friend and I went to a steakhouse. Good luck and definitely read the Dave Barry article.

• Raynne413
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    lorinbc wrote: »

OMG, yes. I had mine in March and reading that was great. Made me feel better about the whole idea. I also laughed so hard I couldn't catch my breath. Just read it before you take the laxatives.

Follow the instructions given. My provider uses a company that sends you the instructions and prep, both written and in email reminders as the time approaches (waking up to see an email from them sucked, but it was helpful). Had to do the low fiber five or so days beforehand (you'll appreciate it later). Mostly I read labels so I didn't go too close to the daily fiber allowance. Did the Miralax/Gatorade combo the day before. I read a lot of tips in a thread on this site - reading material and an ipad, Kindle, phone in each bathroom. Disposable wet wipes are a must. I bought a pack for each bathroom - you'll appreciate them afterwards as well. Vaseline or butt paste between all the fun. I wore loose, easy to remove yoga pants. My prep included drinking 64 oz of the Miralax/Gatorade combo, so I bought a 32 oz water bottle that I knew I'd never want to see again, rather than use the one I have at home now. ( It took me weeks before I could walk past the Gatorade in the supermarket without flinching and I still have not had any since). This is because it gets to the point where all that's coming out is the Gatorade and mine was lemon/lime.

My liquid diet consisted of jello - the prep company sends you a box, plus some broth. I bought lots of ice pops and more jello. I didn't use as much as I thought I would.

The procedure was no where near as bad as I thought. They told me their goal was not to have me unconscious - I said "Yes, it is!!" - but to be comfortable. I was awake for a lot of it, I watched the screen, but felt no pain/discomfort of any kind. Afterwards I was starving, so I suggest planning ahead to where you want to eat and celebrate. My friend and I went to a steakhouse. Good luck and definitely read the Dave Barry article.

Thanks! They only have me starting a lower fiber diet three days before. Oddly enough, I can have cooked veggies, just not any raw veggies. What did you try to keep your fiber below?