healthiest yogurt?

Options
13»

Replies

• jan3t85
    jan3t85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like the post about not wanting to eat gelatine. What is wrong with gelatin and why shouldn't I eat it? I also have heard that aspartame is something you should stay away from which is in diet coke. I have also heard that you should stay away from high fructose corn syrup. Is there anything else that we should be looking for in ingredients to limit or cut out of our diet? Or should I try to start a different thread with this question?

I often read the labels and check on the ingredients. If you can't pronounce it stay away from it! Not sure about aspartame its a bit of a contradiction, I however use sweet leaf stevia packets I just prefer more cleaner ingredients.
  • jan3t85
    jan3t85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am eating dannon nonfat yogurt greek (80 calories) - I don't really care about the calories, but I am looking for a healthy yogurt. What do you guys eat and is it healthy? Looking for help.

I use stonyfield organic low fat yogurt. I recommend it
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Wallaby organic whole milk Greek yogurt. The most sublime yogurt culture available commercially in my humble opinion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jan3t85 wrote: »
    I like the post about not wanting to eat gelatine. What is wrong with gelatin and why shouldn't I eat it? I also have heard that aspartame is something you should stay away from which is in diet coke. I have also heard that you should stay away from high fructose corn syrup. Is there anything else that we should be looking for in ingredients to limit or cut out of our diet? Or should I try to start a different thread with this question?

I often read the labels and check on the ingredients. If you can't pronounce it stay away from it! Not sure about aspartame its a bit of a contradiction, I however use sweet leaf stevia packets I just prefer more cleaner ingredients.

While that is fine for choice, it's generally not a method I would follow (below is why). Also, if you want to understand the chemical make up of aspatame, I would recommend going to this thread.

i5FL3.jpg
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like Siggis yogurt and Dreaming Cow brands. Minimal ingredients and not very sweet (which is my preference). Delicious with some pecans and a few berries mixed in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It seems silly to allow one's competency in pronouncing certain words to limit what one eats.

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Liberte Greek 0% Plain, my personal favourite.
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like Oikos nonfat vanilla, and usually put fresh raspberries in (or a tbsp of mini chocolate chips to kill a sweet tooth). I stay away from the ones with fake sweeteners like the "light and fit"
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Liberte Greek 0% Plain, my personal favourite.

I love, love liberte and mentioned it upthread but I can't do plain but I love their 0 and 2% Greek yogurt especially their lemon, coconut and blueberry flavours. I totally want to try their Mediterranean yogurt but it is 10% and high calorie but apparently it is to die for
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Roundy's Non fat plain Greek yogurt. I buy it in quarts for $3.00 each. Very tasty, only contains milk and cultures (live) and, being plain, is very versatile.

Re: not eating stuff you cannot pronounce. Is it really easier to pronounce Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidus, and Lactobacillus casei than to pronounce aspartame?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% plain for me. I add things to it, but a while back when I was hospitalized for a week, I snacked on it plain. I like it just fine with nothing in it.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    The healthiest yogurt is the freshest because the number of the beneficial probiotic bacteria tends to decline with storage. Most of the yogurt we buy here is plain and has a 1-week expiration label for regular yogurt and 2 weeks for greek. If probiotics is what you mean by healthy, make your own yogurt. You only need to buy a starter once, then just reuse the yogurt you made as a starter from then on. The process is quite easy. If you like it greek, all you have to do is strain the regular yogurt in a few layers of cheesecloth for a few hours or until it reaches your preferred consistency. To make it creamier, just use an immersion blender.
    This. My family makes our own, though we use Fage as a starter.

psulemon wrote: »

While that is fine for choice, it's generally not a method I would follow (below is why). Also, if you want to understand the chemical make up of aspatame, I would recommend going to this thread.

i5FL3.jpg
    The problem with this example is that typically when people refer to the ingredient list for a food item, it's the ingredients used in the manufacturing process, and not the components of an item naturally occurring like that.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The healthiest yogurt is the freshest because the number of the beneficial probiotic bacteria tends to decline with storage. Most of the yogurt we buy here is plain and has a 1-week expiration label for regular yogurt and 2 weeks for greek. If probiotics is what you mean by healthy, make your own yogurt. You only need to buy a starter once, then just reuse the yogurt you made as a starter from then on. The process is quite easy. If you like it greek, all you have to do is strain the regular yogurt in a few layers of cheesecloth for a few hours or until it reaches your preferred consistency. To make it creamier, just use an immersion blender.
    This. My family makes our own, though we use Fage as a starter.

psulemon wrote: »

i5FL3.jpg
    The problem with this example is that typically when people refer to the ingredient list for a food item, it's the ingredients used in the manufacturing process, and not the components of an item naturally occurring like that.

That's why I like using the ingredient list for my yogurt: milk, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidus, and Lactobacillus casei