Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It is all about the deficit.

this is not entirely correct. Protein sources cause more of a thermogenic effect than other types. About 1/3 of the intake from a protein source is used up in a thermogenic process. Resulting in less total calories being stored yet they have been ingested in the same manner.

Where you get your food matters a lot.

If anyone has any questions feel free to add me and ask. : )

That's true I think - Chris Pratt said that for his weight loss he was eating crazy amounts of turkey and he wouldn't have protein shakes as they don't provide the same thermogenic effect as actually eating the meat.
    Weight loss is still about the deficit.

Oh I didn't say it wasn't.
    I just agreed that different food can act on the body differently.

Think how research shows that the oil in coconut oil is used by the body as preferred form of energy rather than just fat. http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Nice little popup ad prompted to buy their book as I was reading all that nonsense about coconut being the one super food, and it must be the organic virgin coconut oil and not the refined stuff in order to work.

Coconut oil is no more super food than anything else, especially when it comes to weight loss, though I do love coconut milk and plain old coconut out of the shell. If coconut truly had magic properties it seems to me the real deal would come right out of the shell.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I've come to believe it's all about the deficit, although I do still linger over magazine articles that talk about fat burning food and so on. It's a nice story, but yeah, I don't think it's true.

Because if any food had been scientifically proven to have fat burning qualities ... we'd all be eating it!

It's mostly about the deficit.

Sure a few foods do have minor influence on metabolism or fat utilisation (and scientific support) but they are useless unless you've got the deficit right. There are no short cuts.

It's like trying to run a 5 miles race.
    Those shoes, those super sleek clothes aren't going to make you win the race if you haven't done the hours of training.

For example, there is strong evidence that coffee (caffeine) is a fat-burner via most likely the increase in adrenaline (but most likely only affects people that are not habituated...). Green Tea, Yerba mate, BCAA, Capsaicin... etc. all have different levels of scientific evidence of their efficacy.

None will be effective if we stuff our faces. Deficit overrules these minor factors.

What is interesting with with you said, is this.. there is a show called super skinny vs supersize.
    and they have a lot of people who are extremely under weight and they all consume 12 cups of coffee, or 12 cups of tea for two meals.

Yes, but it wasn't the coffee and tea that made them skinny.. It was the fact that they drank coffee all day without eating. Coffee and cigarettes are a common replacement for food, and will leave you underweight and sick.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

this is not entirely correct. Protein sources cause more of a thermogenic effect than other types. About 1/3 of the intake from a protein source is used up in a thermogenic process. Resulting in less total calories being stored yet they have been ingested in the same manner.

That's true I think - Chris Pratt said that for his weight loss he was eating crazy amounts of turkey and he wouldn't have protein shakes as they don't provide the same thermogenic effect as actually eating the meat.

Think how research shows that the oil in coconut oil is used by the body as preferred form of energy rather than just fat. http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Nice little popup ad prompted to buy their book as I was reading all that nonsense about coconut being the one super food, and it must be the organic virgin coconut oil and not the refined stuff in order to work.

Coconut oil is no more super food than anything else, especially when it comes to weight loss, though I do love coconut milk and plain old coconut out of the shell. If coconut truly had magic properties it seems to me the real deal would come right out of the shell.

Yup! :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've come to believe it's all about the deficit, although I do still linger over magazine articles that talk about fat burning food and so on. It's a nice story, but yeah, I don't think it's true.

Because if any food had been scientifically proven to have fat burning qualities ... we'd all be eating it!

Sure a few foods do have minor influence on metabolism or fat utilisation (and scientific support) but they are useless unless you've got the deficit right. There are no short cuts.

Those shoes, those super sleek clothes aren't going to make you win the race if you haven't done the hours of training.

For example, there is strong evidence that coffee (caffeine) is a fat-burner via most likely the increase in adrenaline (but most likely only affects people that are not habituated...). Green Tea, Yerba mate, BCAA, Capsaicin... etc. all have different levels of scientific evidence of their efficacy.

None will be effective if we stuff our faces. Deficit overrules these minor factors.

What is interesting with with you said, is this.. there is a show called super skinny vs supersize.
    and they have a lot of people who are extremely under weight and they all consume 12 cups of coffee, or 12 cups of tea for two meals.

Yes, but it wasn't the coffee and tea that made them skinny.. It was the fact that they drank coffee all day without eating. Coffee and cigarettes are a common replacement for food, and will leave you underweight and sick.

Oops, missed the reply. Yes, wouldn't recommend that.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

That site is as far from an authority on nutrition as one can be.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses! And I too still linger over those articles. Before mfp I was trying to build a diet around it. Lol. And was wondering why the scale wasn't dropping.

I still feel a little weird when I am eating certain foods that were once considered forbidden. I find myself wondering... Am I sabotaging myself by eating this white rice instead of quinoa?

Trying to undo these years of diet misconceptions is serious work. Lol.

Yeah, imagine some of us who have been dieting off and on since the 70's! It took me a long time to get over my fear of fat. Every time I wanted to put a teaspoon of butter on my toast all I could see was Susan Powter with her 80's buzzcut yelling "It's fat . . . you're fat. STOP THE INSANITY!".

I am now in a happy place with eating all things in moderation (macros are 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat). It works (even as a T2Dm)
    58841349.png

ps: no you are not sabotaging yourself by eating white rice instead of quinoa. On the other hand, variety is a good thing so have either one, depending on your mood.

I needed to detox from Susan Powter as well...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think the only foods that help with any significant calorie burning are foods that make you regurgitate. Realize that this is sarcasm, but if you don't believe me, eat a meal then try to have a bite of this after:

Balut
    b06d8e7f.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well, there goes my day. Thanks Niner. I was going to have fajitas for dinner too.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I would totally live on coffee if I could. But that's cuz I love coffee more than I love food. I would die of stomach ulcers though.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    The excess calories of energy don't just disappear, they become heat, and people can and did die from hyperthermia as their body produced heat faster than they could shed it into the environment, even when they were given carefully controlled dosages administered by doctors.
    On a separate note, some days I wish this was available. Gets too cold you can't seem to ever warm up. But yes can be very scary I'm sure... (slinks away into the dark coldness of Wisconsin)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Google scholar is loaded with articles where one ingredient or another is tested for it's fat burning properties. Typically the benefits are modest and "require further study". Think about it this way. The cayenne you put on your steak is completely undone by the cookie you eat afterwards.

Some substances studied include green tea extracts(metabolism), Coffee/caffeine (metabolism), ephedrine derivatives (metabolism), and Konjac root (fiber).