Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    @lemurcat12

Thanks for very helpful suggestions.
    However, I have noticed you totally ignore the fact that early breakfast can speed up your metabolism. Another important thing: if you skip breakfast, your body will start storing fat in order to create long term "stocks".

I'd love to see the links to some peer-reviewed studies proving both of the above bolded points, because you're way off base on both counts. Your body doesn't store fat in the face of a chronic caloric deficit, and your metabolism runs 24 hours a day. It rises to the occasion when you take food in, but it doesn't matter what time of the day or night that happens.
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    @lemurcat12

However, I have noticed you totally ignore the fact that early breakfast can speed up your metabolism. Another important thing: if you skip breakfast, your body will start storing fat in order to create long term "stocks".

I'd love to see the links to some peer-reviewed studies proving both of the above bolded points, because you're way off base on both counts. Your body doesn't store fat in the face of a chronic caloric deficit, and your metabolism runs 24 hours a day. It rises to the occasion when you take food in, but it doesn't matter what time of the day or night that happens.

I couldn't find relevant study right now, but I can mention well-known Crono nutrition theory created by French Doctor Delabos that supports my words. Besides Crono, there are many theories that are based on similar principles.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I always eat a snack before going to bed. Eating or not eating after a certain time has nothing to do with metabolism. A good rule that I follow is simply to eat whenever I'm hungry.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I sleep better, when I have a small snack right before sleeping. I am more likely to over eat if I try to go to sleep hungry. When I fail to sleep, I will get up and eat way more than I would have snacked on earlier. When I am over tired, I have less will power.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

This is false. Eating a early breakfast does not speed your metabolism up. Also, skipping breakfast does not cause your body to store fat.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

PS: I hope you all guys understand me well. English is not my native language, so I suppose my sentences sometimes seem to be little akward. :)

You English is nothing wrong with

But i hate to disappoint you

I eat the majority of my calories before going to sleep
    And on top of that i eat breakfast late so i dont speed up my metabolism
    And lost weight perfectly in the last year

Time is not relevant at all. What about when i live 10 miles out of a time zone???? how do you deal with that? How does my body know that i live there. And what about night workers? etc etc They all lose weight just fne as long as they create a deficit.
    What you eat, when or were doesn't matter at all ( as long you dont have a medical issue of course)

Keep things simple, really it isnt that hard at all. It is Calories in versus calories out. And your body dont give a ^*^%&*^ when you eat....it just counts the energy/calories it gets.

95069916.png
  • lionkingbg
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I agree that final calorie deficit is the most important thing. But you cannot simply sum calories of everyhing that you ate today. Timing and type of food affects differently your metabolism, which make you spend more or less calories. You couldn't convince me that it is the same if you eat all callories few mins before you go to bed or divide it into several parts during all day.
    One more thing, when it comes to timing, I don't think time zone is relevant. It matters what time it is regarding your schedule, so for night workers "morning" is part of the day when they wake up and their "evening" is time when they are about to go to bed.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I agree that final calorie deficit is the most important thing. But you cannot simply sum calories of everyhing that you ate today. Timing and type of food affects differently your metabolism, which make you spend more or less calories. You couldn't convince me that it is the same if you eat all callories few mins before you go to bed or divide it into several parts during all day.
    One more thing, when it comes to timing, I don't think time zone is relevant. It matters what time it is regarding your schedule, so for night workers "morning" is part of the day when they wake up and their "evening" is time when they are about to go to bed.

I dont have to convince you at all.
    Science is simple plain and clear in this whole matter.

You do it your way i do mine.
    I just dont have to watch my watch and worry that i eat in a time zone ...just eat what i want when i want and were i want.

People can make it difficult and hard. While it dont have to be that way at all.

OP just keep it simple and plain eat in calorie deficit and you will be fine and lose weight. Just like the majority of people.

95069916.png
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

If I eat my 1500 calorie allowance and go right to sleep every day, I'll spend the entire next day burning those calories and not eating until it's time for tomorrow's 1500 calorie meal. If I didn't, I'd die.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I hate breakfast. I'm almost never hungry in the mornings. I almost never eat until after lunch time. I usually only eat two meals, one of which is near bedtime. According to you, my diet should be a hideous failure, yet I've lost 48 pounds in 19 weeks. Your "facts" are not facts. Your "facts" are what you believe to be the case, but they are actually just opinions you've formulated based on whatever non-scientific, non-peer reviewed web pages you're read. Sorry, but timing does NOT matter. My 48 pounds say otherwise.

10382200.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

I couldn't find relevant study right now, but I can mention well-known Crono nutrition theory created by French Doctor Delabos that supports my words. Besides Crono, there are many theories that are based on similar principles.
    That's because there are no relevant studies that show eating breakfast speed up metabolism. Nor does skipping it start storing fat.
    And a "theory" is supported by actual facts. Not anecdotal or pseudoscience ones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Please provide a source for these claims.
  • lionkingbg
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ok, I surrender. You all are unanimous and I am pretty shocked about that. As I understood between the lines you also beleive that macro nutritients ratio doesn't matter at all? A certain amount of calories from garbage food and from proteins and unsaturated fats make no difference?
  • Orphia
    Options
    Ok, I surrender. You all are unanimous and I am pretty shocked about that. As I understood between the lines you also beleive that macro nutritients ratio doesn't matter at all? A certain amount of calories from garbage food and from proteins and unsaturated fats make no difference?

Nice try, but no-one's saying that.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Those ratios make a difference health-wise or nutritionally, but we're not talking about that. A calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss, whether it's Twinkies or kale.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, macronutrient ratios do not matter at all. Google "Twinkie Diet" and read the story about the nutrition professor who lost 27 pounds in two months eating a diet mostly comprised of pure junk food.

Speaking in terms of overall health, fitness, body composition and sports performance, macronutrient ratios matter considerably. It doesn't mean you have to eat 100% "clean" (whatever that definition means to each individual person), but you should have adequate protein and fat intake via a well-balanced diet. That doesn't mean you can never eat sugar, saturated fat, junk/fast food, etc. - but it certainly shouldn't comprise the majority of your diet.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

There are plenty of "health and wellness" bloggers out there who put bits and pieces of ideas that some doctors had into what sound like perfectly sound conclusions about meal timing and metabolism. They are why I had on my pile of excuses for not losing weight that it wouldn't happen because I hate eating first thing in the morning. The only way I was able to go from a size 24 to a size 16 was by wiping the slate clean of all that and focus mainly on calories per day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's kind of a non sequitur -- I don't think anyone was talking about macros or any of that.

However, here's a recent thread where it is discussed, and I give my view in it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10295341/does-it-really-matter#latest

Quick answer: food choice matters for health, and at the extremes can make a difference between losing/gaining fat or muscle, although other factors play an important role too, like size of deficit and exercise.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I eat until I run out of calories. And I always save some for a before bed snack.

THIS!
  • lionkingbg
    Options
    [/quote]
    Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, macronutrient ratios do not matter at all. G.[/quote]

Have you ever heard of inner body process such as conversion the fats into energy? e.g. When you don't eat carbs all day, your body starts spending fat stocks instead of glucose. You would say: the same thing is if you spend carbs. But, "losing weight" is not only to have less kilograms/pounds! In my opinion key fact is get the rid of fats, (and build muscles if you want)!