I want to eat like a horse after my workouts anymore!! Help!!!

Options
I don't know if it is a coincidence, but it seems since I've started using MFP, I want to eat like a horse when I come home from the gym. I go to the gym kind of late at night, around 10:00pm, and by the time I get home, it is midnight or later. Definitely not the time to be eating, let alone like a horse!!

I have been having a bit of a hard time eating enough protein and meeting my minimum calorie allotment for the day. If I eat remotely close to my protein for the day, I get the 'red flag' (as I call it), saying my calories for the day are too low.

An example of a day's 'menu':

Breakfast
Multigrain Cheerios with skim milk
Plain Greek yogurt with peanut butter mixed in
Orange juice
Water

Lunch:
Chicken salad made with carrots, celery, onion, and a dab of light mayo
on 1/2 of a whole wheat tortilla shell
Light string cheese (1)
Amy's Lentil Soup
Lots of water!!

Dinner:
Salad using leftover rotisserie chicken and topped with one hard-boiled egg sliced up, no dressing
Mixed frozen vegetables (plain, heated in microwave, no butter or anything)
Water

Snack:
Unsalted almonds
Glass of skim milk
Water

(I also drink plenty of water before, during, and after my exercise, at least 32 oz, which all totals usually at least 10 8 ounce glasses a day)

This is actually a ton of food compared to what I used to eat before I began my weight loss journey. I started in mid September and I've only been using MFP for almost 3 weeks. The huge maddening late night hunger began about a week or so ago (I have lost 25 lbs since starting in mid-September, and still have a good bit to lose).

If I can make it through the night, I wake up in the morning, wanting to eat everything in sight!!

I don't understand why this has only started in the last week or two. I've been watching what I eat since mid-September, just no defined monitoring until I started using MFP. My exercise has only been the treadmill (there has been no 'increase' in exercise, other than adding a few minutes/more incline to the treadmill), I feel like I still need to lose weight before adding other exercises. I know they say to add in strength training from day 1, but I just feel I am not ready for that yet. Won't that make me even hungrier..?

I have never had this huge hunger madness..:/

Replies

• mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky - I get almost nauseous after I've worked out and have to wait for a while before I even feel much like eating. Perhaps you shouldn't work out so late at night? Doing it earlier might be better for boosting your metabolism for the day and then you can avoid the late night munchies - maybe at 6 AM before you go to work?
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea. I used to work out years ago first thing in the morning. Bonus is it is out of the way!! ;) Thanks!!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's over and done with, and also might even give you greater energy for whatever you do for a living!
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Very, very true, thank you!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble eating your minimum calories, eat regular cheese and drink 1%/2%/whole milk. More calories for the same amount of food. Do not worry about the fat grams (not sure if you are but some folks get hung up on them.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Just because you felt fine a month ago doesn't mean it doesn't catch up with you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Protein is a minimum ...

Your undereating is catching up with you ..increase your calories with higher density foods ie full fat rather than lite
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Protein is a minimum ...

Your undereating is catching up with you ..increase your calories with higher density foods ie full fat rather than lite

This. If there's any macro to watch during weightloss, it is protein. Too little protein can result in skinny fat, in the simplest terms, because you're losing lean muscle. Protein helps preserve as much as possible during weightloss. In upping the protein, you typically will see the calories go up naturally.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    I don't know if it is a coincidence, but it seems since I've started using MFP, I want to eat like a horse when I come home from the gym. I go to the gym kind of late at night, around 10:00pm, and by the time I get home, it is midnight or later. Definitely not the time to be eating, let alone like a horse!!

I have been having a bit of a hard time eating enough protein and meeting my minimum calorie allotment for the day. If I eat remotely close to my protein for the day, I get the 'red flag' (as I call it), saying my calories for the day are too low.

Breakfast
    Orange juice
    Water

Lunch:
    Light string cheese (1)
    Amy's Lentil Soup
    Lots of water!!

Dinner:
    Salad using leftover rotisserie chicken and topped with one hard-boiled egg sliced up, no dressing
    Water

Snack:
    Unsalted almonds
    Glass of skim milk
    Water

(I also drink plenty of water before, during, and after my exercise, at least 32 oz, which all totals usually at least 10 8 ounce glasses a day)

This is actually a ton of food compared to what I used to eat before I began my weight loss journey. I started in mid September and I've only been using MFP for almost 3 weeks. The huge maddening late night hunger began about a week or so ago (I have lost 25 lbs since starting in mid-September, and still have a good bit to lose).

If I can make it through the night, I wake up in the morning, wanting to eat everything in sight!!

I don't understand why this has only started in the last week or two. I've been watching what I eat since mid-September, just no defined monitoring until I started using MFP. My exercise has only been the treadmill (there has been no 'increase' in exercise, other than adding a few minutes/more incline to the treadmill), I feel like I still need to lose weight before adding other exercises. I know they say to add in strength training from day 1, but I just feel I am not ready for that yet. Won't that make me even hungrier..?

If you're eating so low that it yells at you, your hunger is a perfectly natural response to being seriously underfed.

I have probably realistically about 100 lb to go (my goal was set when I thought my height was taller...). I am a man and I am fairly active, but I'm eating 1800/2200 calories on days I don't work out / days I do, and I am actually concerned it's a bit too low, and am thinking of trying 1900/2300 next month.

As to claiming you're eating more than before - that's suspect. Were you weighing and logging every bite that passed your lips before? Studies show that even people who are trying to honestly report their calorie intake tend to underreport, often drastically (i.e. 50% under what their actual food intake is). It can often seem like you eat more when on a diet because you actually structure and pay attention to your eating. Just in terms of my main entrees, I actually do eat about as much as I did before; I didn't drastically cut portion sizes. What I don't do anymore is eat 1000-2000 calories in random snacking in between meals, nor do I have six or seven glasses of milk with a meal, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Breakfast
    Orange juice
    Water

Lunch:
    Light string cheese (1)
    Amy's Lentil Soup
    Lots of water!!

Dinner:
    Water

Snack:
    Unsalted almonds
    Glass of skim milk
    Water

If you're eating so low that it yells at you, your hunger is a perfectly natural response to being seriously underfed.

I have probably realistically about 100 lb to go (my goal was set when I thought my height was taller...). I am a man and I am fairly active, but I'm eating 1800/2200 calories on days I don't work out / days I do, and I am actually concerned it's a bit too low, and am thinking of trying 1900/2300 next month.

As to claiming you're eating more than before - that's suspect. Were you weighing and logging every bite that passed your lips before? Studies show that even people who are trying to honestly report their calorie intake tend to underreport, often drastically (i.e. 50% under what their actual food intake is). It can often seem like you eat more when on a diet because you actually structure and pay attention to your eating. Just in terms of my main entrees, I actually do eat about as much as I did before; I didn't drastically cut portion sizes. What I don't do anymore is eat 1000-2000 calories in random snacking in between meals, nor do I have six or seven glasses of milk with a meal, etc.

Yes, @MSH2930 you were probably eating more than you think before you starting logging, and are not eating enough now to fuel your workout.

How tall are you, what do you weigh, what's your goal weight, and how many pounds per week is your goal set to?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Protein is a minimum ...

This.

I weight lift before breakfast and also get hungry afterward, so my breakfasts are calorie and protein dense. When I run, I am not too hungry afterward so I run in the afternoons and have a light snack after. I suggest also planning to have some calories after the workout, provided you don't have a medical issue to where you can't eat closer to bedtime.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    An after work protien shake would probably help with the hunger even if it's late. You can get plenty of low cal powders, the fruit ones you mix with water are great.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Guess it is time to find more ways to up the protein intake and not be so obsessed with low-fat stuff. When I *have* tried to up the protein intake, the calories somehow seem low for the day. Just have to find a good balancing act, I guess. I still can't bring myself to use protein shakes. Tried them years ago and I just think they are not for me. I realize they may be better now and God Bless those who do use them successfully, I just kind of prefer to steer clear of them..same for protein bars..I kind of want to find a diet that I can live with in the long run, if you know what I mean..;) But again, it is great that they work well for some :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Guess it is time to find more ways to up the protein intake and not be so obsessed with low-fat stuff. When I *have* tried to up the protein intake, the calories somehow seem low for the day. Just have to find a good balancing act, I guess. I still can't bring myself to use protein shakes. Tried them years ago and I just think they are not for me. I realize they may be better now and God Bless those who do use them successfully, I just kind of prefer to steer clear of them..same for protein bars..I kind of want to find a diet that I can live with in the long run, if you know what I mean..;) But again, it is great that they work well for some :)

Up your protein and calories at the same time by eating foods that have both protein and higher calories - whole milk, peanut butter, etc. have good amounts of protein but have carbs or fats too.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    TY, TY!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You can use protein bars and shakes to supplement a healthy diet. Been doing so for years.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I wonder if working out so late is messing with your sleep patterns. There is definitely a connection between sleep and hunger.

I generally work out between 8-10 PM and then have a light dinner afterwards. It works for me, but I think that many people do better with a workout earlier in the day. In your position, I would play around with workout and meal timing to see if that makes a difference.

How much protein are you getting in grams? I wonder if you might be slightly low. You could try a protein shake immediately after a workout.

Adding a couple of additional cups of water is another thing to try. Certainly you are already meeting the minimum, but larger and more active people sometimes need a lot more than 8 cups a day.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    I wonder if working out so late is messing with your sleep patterns. There is definitely a connection between sleep and hunger.

I generally work out between 8-10 PM and then have a light dinner afterwards. It works for me, but I think that many people do better with a workout earlier in the day. In your position, I would play around with workout and meal timing to see if that makes a difference.

How much protein are you getting in grams? I wonder if you might be slightly low. You could try a protein shake immediately after a workout.

Adding a couple of additional cups of water is another thing to try. Certainly you are already meeting the minimum, but larger and more active people sometimes need a lot more than 8 cups a day.

Thanks. I shoot for at least 10 (8 oz) glasses of water. Often it is more like 12, but I suppose I could even up that amount. Looks like, as you and a few others have suggested, that I am going to have to cave and try some protein bars (low salt) and maybe some protein shakes. I detest protein shakes for a million reasons (that I like to keep to myself), but if they keep these horrible post-workout extreme food cravings at bay, I am all for it!! :)

Definitely going to try and workout earlier in the day. I had been and in the last 3 weeks or so is when I started this late night workout routine. It's bad, I know, but I guess I was thinking at least I got the workout in. But as you and a couple others have suggested, I am going to try really hard to work out earlier in the day. I am just not an early bird, but I guess I need to start to be! ;)

Thanks again, all, for the replies!!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Now I am curious about your secret reasons for hating protein shakes. :)

If taste is the issue, try different brands. The flavor varies a lot from brand to brand. Something that you can do to make the taste/texture better is to use protein powder to make a smoothie. The easiest way to do this is 1 scoop of protein powder + the water that goes with it + 1/2 cup frozen fruit. Blend and enjoy...I recommend strawberries.

I would not go crazy with the water, but add and extra cup or two to see if that makes a difference.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Well maybe it's time I try protein shakes again. Maybe they've come a long way. If I learned to down the (nasty, imho) plain nonfat greek yogurt, how bad can a protein shake be..?

I guess it just all boils down to personal preference as far as what we are willing to put into our bodies.