I want to eat like a horse after my workouts anymore!! Help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    Well maybe it's time I try protein shakes again. Maybe they've come a long way. If I learned to down the (nasty, imho) plain nonfat greek yogurt, how bad can a protein shake be..?

I guess it just all boils down to personal preference as far as what we are willing to put into our bodies.

If you hate the shakes that much, you could supplement with protein bars. They're less bang for your buck (cost more and are usually limited to 10/12 or less grams of protein for a couple hundred calories, versus the 20 you can get for 180 in my fav shake) but they might in some cases taste better. I certainly find them more satisfying when I just HAVE to bite into something solid and chew it. (Zone Perfect are my fav. 180 cal, 10g protein, absurdly delicious)
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have def considered protein bars. I may even try the protein powder yet. The nice thing nowadays is info is so much more readily available about a product than some 20 years ago, when I first tried protein shakes. And I may even just sprinkle the protein powder on some foods and consume it that way as opposed to making shakes with the powder. That will work, right..?

Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions!! (Oddly enough, I've been sleeping like a baby!! Yay!! :) )
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are great and so handy. And the protein powder I usually blend into my smoothies or it can be sprinkled onto and mixed into anything that you might eat like cottage cheese, cereal, etc. It doesn't contribute much if any flavor when mixed into something else as a supplement.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Protein bars are great and so handy. And the protein powder I usually blend into my smoothies or it can be sprinkled onto and mixed into anything that you might eat like cottage cheese, cereal, etc. It doesn't contribute much if any flavor when mixed into something else as a supplement.

Bingo. That is exactly what I plan on doing. How often do you use protein powder and have a protein bar..? (question for mylittlerainbow, and/or anyone else wishing to answer! :) )
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I had a Quest bar the other day and thought is was nasty artificially tasting. I have protein powder almost every day. Here's my current favorite whey pp: Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, 24.6-Ounce Can. Contains whey protein isolate, natural French vanilla flavor, sun flower lecithin, and xanthan gum.

No stevia or artificial flavors, which are tastes to which some people object.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had a Quest bar the other day and thought is was nasty artificially tasting. I have protein powder almost every day. Here's my current favorite whey pp: Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, 24.6-Ounce Can. Contains whey protein isolate, natural French vanilla flavor, sun flower lecithin, and xanthan gum.

No stevia or artificial flavors, which are tastes to which some people object.

Thanks!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about eating late at night, it won't affect your weight loss. If you're getting a 'red flag' saying you're not eating enough calorie, then you're not eating enough calories. That's why you're so hungry. You really need to eat more.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    If you're worried about eating late at night, it won't affect your weight loss. If you're getting a 'red flag' saying you're not eating enough calorie, then you're not eating enough calories. That's why you're so hungry. You really need to eat more.

Yep. My problem seems to be finding things that are high enough in protein yet also help me reach the alloted calories for the day. Hence the ensuing protein powder/protein bar suggestions. :)
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the Larabar..it isn't as high I protein as others but it tastes great and fills me up. For the protein powder...I NEVER drink it straight. .. instead I mix it in a smoothy...the best I find after a workout is 1 scoop protein powder (I use Vega), 1 banana, 1tbs any nut butter, spinach and almond milk. The nut butter covers any of that icky "protein" flavor.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use the website named after a jungle in Brazil to check reviews from customers on how protein powder and bars taste. Find one that's got high protien and low sugar/fat and good reviews and try it. I have some great and inexpensive protein bars from there. Obviously the taste isn't as yummy as a real chocolate bar, but you are eating to intake protein and reduce cravings, for that purpose they are good!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I would up my protein levels...for me that helps with hunger strikes!! Those flavored Tuna Sunkist packets always hit the spot for me and they are pretty low calorie.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Well maybe it's time I try protein shakes again. Maybe they've come a long way. If I learned to down the (nasty, imho) plain nonfat greek yogurt, how bad can a protein shake be..?

I guess it just all boils down to personal preference as far as what we are willing to put into our bodies.

If you hate the shakes that much, you could supplement with protein bars. They're less bang for your buck (cost more and are usually limited to 10/12 or less grams of protein for a couple hundred calories, versus the 20 you can get for 180 in my fav shake) but they might in some cases taste better. I certainly find them more satisfying when I just HAVE to bite into something solid and chew it. (Zone Perfect are my fav. 180 cal, 10g protein, absurdly delicious)

MetRX Prime bars are 20g protein for 210 calories if you like something solid:
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/de_p_ref/30294/pla30294/MET-RX_Prime_Bar_Chocolate_Brownie.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GPS&utm_campaign=30294&gclid=CKrp5rqjyskCFYcBaQodNj4MTQ
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

MetRX Prime bars are 20g protein for 210 calories if you like something solid:
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/de_p_ref/30294/pla30294/MET-RX_Prime_Bar_Chocolate_Brownie.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GPS&utm_campaign=30294&gclid=CKrp5rqjyskCFYcBaQodNj4MTQ

Cool, good to know I'll check those out:) Thank you
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yep. My problem seems to be finding things that are high enough in protein yet also help me reach the alloted calories for the day. Hence the ensuing protein powder/protein bar suggestions. :)

Why not eat food high in protein like meat, fish, eggs, etc and cook them in olive oil? Higher protein, higher cal from the oil, and tastes good.

Or cheese? Don't forget cheese has lovely proteins and fats, too. Easy to just add it and/or nuts to already existing meals ...
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yep, I like being able to check reviews on the products..so helpful!! :)
    Thanks again!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Lean protein at the end of the day is not a bad idea. Go natural with jerky or meat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you don't like protein shakes or bars, you can have 1/4 cup nuts or hiker's mix, a hard boiled egg, or a glass of full fat milk. I suggest eating about thirty minutes before your workout, and have a snack with you to eat right afterwards. Also, put some dressing on that salad of yours, perhaps a vinaigrette with olive oil and lemon juice.

Eating late at night won't hurt you. Being ravenous comes from not eating enough. Take care of that and you'll be golden.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you don't like protein shakes or bars, you can have 1/4 cup nuts or hiker's mix, a hard boiled egg, or a glass of full fat milk. I suggest eating about thirty minutes before your workout, and have a snack with you to eat right afterwards. Also, put some dressing on that salad of yours, perhaps a vinaigrette with olive oil and lemon juice.

Eating late at night won't hurt you. Being ravenous comes from not eating enough. Take care of that and you'll be golden.

Really? I could just about guarantee that I would throw up if I ate with that short of a window before working out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    An hour then, @azulvioleta6 .
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Great suggestions. I totally agree, need to up the protein intake and maybe not worry so much about the fat content of things. Thanks!! :)