teamknoxdiscus
teamknoxdiscus Posts: 16 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'll just let y'all do your thing.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Is that all? There are plenty of threads asking for help. Perhaps you can get in there and share your knowledge.
  • teamknoxdiscus
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Is that all? There are plenty of threads asking for help. Perhaps you can get in there and share your knowledge.

Excuse me?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi Christopher. She means to participate in the threads where people are asking for help.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Excuse me?

Welcome, Christopher. Please share some of what you know about health and nutrition.

What do you believe causes weight loss?
  • teamknoxdiscus
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi Christopher. She means to participate in the threads where people are asking for help.

I am, this is also a very good form of expression to make my desire to help abundantly apparent to the masses of mfp users, instead of spamming to reach a few eyes : ) I know what I am doing.

This is a thread to help people. Thank you both, God bless.
  • teamknoxdiscus
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Excuse me?

Welcome, Christopher. Please share some of what you know about health and nutrition.

What do you believe causes weight loss?

What do I believe causes weight loss?

Well g such a broad question should be met with such a broad answer, yeah? Proper nutrition and workout plan.

In detail, I would say I am a firm advocate of muscle gain to support long term fat control and overall health of an individual. I think this is far more important than WEIGHT loss. Fat loss. Fat is what gives us our problems in the general populace, not weight. One pound of lean muscle burns 50-70 cal a day basal metabolic so if you add lean muscle over time it will actually be harder to add fat. For me, 6'4" 250 pounds at 12% body fat, it is nearly impossible lol : )

In short, I think our biggest gun in that battle would be a mixture of how you attack the problem and how long you are willing to attack it for.

Thank you for the great question.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So do you believe that weight loss is not possible without a workout plan then?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    One pound of lean muscle burns 50-70 cal a day basal metabolic so if you add lean muscle over time it will actually be harder to add fat.

Nope

Building muscle does not increase your metabolism by 50 calories per day. The real number is only 6 calories per pound on average.

http://weightology.net/muscle/the-50-calorie-per-pound-of-muscle-myth.html/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9688626

• arditarose
    Options
    So you are saying a person who is obese should eat in a calorie surplus to gain both muscle (and fat) instead of eating at a deficit and running a lifting program with a progressive overload in order to maintain lbm while losing fat?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's not a broad question.

I don't disagree on the importance of nutrition, fat loss, muscle gain for overall health, but it's eating less than you burn overall that causes weight loss. Certainly, that heavy lifting I do contributes, as well as the running, but those are both preferences only because I like being fit.

Again....welcome. :)
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am, this is also a very good form of expression to make my desire to help abundantly apparent to the masses of mfp users, instead of spamming to reach a few eyes : ) I know what I am doing.

This is a thread to help people. Thank you both, God bless.

IN GOD WE TRUST!
  • teamknoxdiscus
    Options
    I think I'm done with this website. Y'all don't want to help people, just look for Internet drama.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I think I'm done with this website. Y'all don't want to help people, just look for Internet drama.

We are trying to have a conversation. No one knows you or your credentials. Why not have a discussion and see what you can bring to the table? You still didn't answer my question.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Stripes get earned, bro.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    How much do I have to pay you?

The reaction you're getting is typical of this forum, because most people who make posts like this are promoting something.

With that said, the most helpful thing you can do in the forums is browse threads about topics you're familiar with and chime in with knowledge that you have when it applies. Threads like this tend to end poorly because as mentioned above - no one knows you or your credentials.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

What did I miss?
  • arditarose
    Options

What did I miss?

First he said he was here to help, that being all. Then he edited to add more info about himself. Then nothing.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    So, some random person types some qualifications on the internet and I should listen to your advise? Im always open to advise, MFP forums and the people who have been on here for more than a week are who got me where I am now. I mean, if I tell you I'm a doctor will you believe me and take my advise or ask some questions to verify my qualifications first?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

What did I miss?

He went crying to momma already. And we didn't even make it past page 1!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What did I miss?

Nothing much. Random dude was like "I got all the answers so ask me anything" then he didn't like what he was asked so he flounced.

We are poorer as a people for the loss of his great wealth of knowledge, I'm sure