Does this app work

Options
Question I been counting my calories on here for 7 days and walking on treadmill at least 20 mins a day if u stay within your calories will you loose weight

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If you are accurate on your calories consumed and exercise burns, and you gave MFP good data on your activity level, then yes.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well it depends.

If used correctly , yes it absolutely works ! I now weigh 135 lbs and have kept my weight off with no problem. I used a food scale, learned portion control and moderation .

Whereas some will not use the app correctly. They will guess the calories ,log inaccurately and don't weigh anything. They will underestimate the calories in their foods and overestimate their workout burns. Those people usually don't have much success with the app.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i log everything, every bite every lick every taste & i am constantly tryign to improve my logging. & yes it works well for me as long as i am honest & as accurate as i can be
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

This.

I'm 75 lbs down, went from Obese to Healthy BMI.

When used correctly, and as intended, it works great.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely works. I'm down 42 pounds!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm only 35 lbs down with another 50 to go. It works when I use it and stick to it. I have found that using the food scale and finding ways to enjoy a treat regularly help immensely in keeping with it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It works as long as you're putting in the effort. I lost 62 pounds in 15 months. Got lazy and have now gained 20 back because I wasn't logging as accurately as I should be.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The app is just a tool. You need to do the work! So don't rely on the app 100%.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    app works good...however it seems most dont realize it is an estimate on calories and they eat far to little.....so many people eating less then 1500 calories that have no business going that low. Plus theres a huge number who want to lose weight far to fast.

to me it makes sense to eat as much as possible while losing weight very slow, because you start low you will have no where to go....you will never eat under 1500 calories for the rest of your life, unless your tiny
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yup, it works if you work it correctly
    58841349.png
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    app works good...however it seems most dont realize it is an estimate on calories and they eat far to little.....so many people eating less then 1500 calories that have no business going that low. Plus theres a huge number who want to lose weight far to fast.

to me it makes sense to eat as much as possible while losing weight very slow, because you start low you will have no where to go....you will never eat under 1500 calories for the rest of your life, unless your tiny
    there might be a difference between the sexes here.... I agree with you on a certain level, and i also agree with MFP that under 1200 is too low for almost every adult. (but one day under 1200 calories doesn't put one in starvation mode either) I'm not tiny..... 5'8", 140 pounds, 46 yo female, and i typically eat under 1500 calories because i can't exercise vigorously due to an injury. my current "exercise".... walking and yoga, just don't burn that much.
    just my opinion.
  • marieirigoyen3
    marieirigoyen3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • savageman69
    Options
    68myra wrote: »

there might be a difference between the sexes here.... I agree with you on a certain level, and i also agree with MFP that under 1200 is too low for almost every adult. (but one day under 1200 calories doesn't put one in starvation mode either) I'm not tiny..... 5'8", 140 pounds, 46 yo female, and i typically eat under 1500 calories because i can't exercise vigorously due to an injury. my current "exercise".... walking and yoga, just don't burn that much.
    just my opinion.

under 1500 in my opinion at the height and weight seems to low, perhaps you have a lower metabolism but the vast majority that would be starving...The problem is people start at 1200, 1500 and lose weight uber fast and think thats the best thing in the world...then boom weight loss stops now what? where do you go from here?....ive seen guys who eat under 1500 are you kidding me. Everyone is in a big rush to lose weight so they start off way way to low and losing way way to fast.

Like i said this app works but its like everything if you dont have the knowledge its success will be limited to results or until the crash diet fails. This isnt just a guess ive done it and ive tried it multiple ways....losing weight super fast is a great way to end up skinny and still look fat because you have no muscle because your body ate it in your attempt to undo years of weight gain in months.

everyone can do as they please and i will enjoy my 4000 calorie maintenance ....and i actually do zero cardio aside from walk my 11 year old dog.

My opinion the vast majority WAY under estimate their daily caloric needs
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

just my opinion.

under 1500 in my opinion at the height and weight seems to low, perhaps you have a lower metabolism but the vast majority that would be starving...The problem is people start at 1200, 1500 and lose weight uber fast and think thats the best thing in the world...then boom weight loss stops now what? where do you go from here?....ive seen guys who eat under 1500 are you kidding me. Everyone is in a big rush to lose weight so they start off way way to low and losing way way to fast.

Like i said this app works but its like everything if you dont have the knowledge its success will be limited to results or until the crash diet fails. This isnt just a guess ive done it and ive tried it multiple ways....losing weight super fast is a great way to end up skinny and still look fat because you have no muscle because your body ate it in your attempt to undo years of weight gain in months.

everyone can do as they please and i will enjoy my 4000 calorie maintenance ....and i actually do zero cardio aside from walk my 11 year old dog.

Actually 1500 with her stats seems like an appropriate amount for slow weight loss. If she is unable to exercise or lift, and has low muscle mass and is sedentary as a result, that would reduce the number of calories for her TDEE.

I am 5'7, 131 pounds 44 yo female, and maintain at around 1680 plus exercise calories.

No female is going to maintain or lose at 4000 calories unless an elite athlete working out all day.
  • marieirigoyen3
    Options
    So the app says 1580 a day what should I be doing
  • marieirigoyen3
    Options
    I Walk at least 20 mins a day as well
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    THIS APP WORKS IF YOU DO!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If the app says 1580 per day, then you use a food scale, and eat 1580 per day. Log your walk under a conservative estimate of speed (x miles per hour) and eat back half, see how it goes. Read the link I posted above, it walks you through everything.
  • savageman69
    Options

just my opinion.

Actually 1500 with her stats seems like an appropriate amount for slow weight loss. If she is unable to exercise or lift, and has low muscle mass and is sedentary as a result, that would reduce the number of calories for her TDEE.

I am 5'7, 131 pounds 44 yo female, and maintain at around 1680 plus exercise calories.

No female is going to maintain or lose at 4000 calories unless an elite athlete working out all day.

when did i say females need to eat 4000..i said i felt her being below 1500 is low, thats my opinion and there are PLENTY of males that eat just as low...that is why i feel it works but it doesnt. Those people will lose weight starving, but will they look better? likely not and will they have luck keeping the weight off? likely not. I could eat 1500 calories for 3 months and likely drop 40lbs....then when i try and stop starving i likely will crash and burn and binge because ive starved.

There are few that can eat that low, for medical or metabolisum issues however there are far to many people doing it and just giving themselves issues.

We as a society think that we should be able to fix years of damage in weeks, days, months......when in reality the slower you lose it the better you will look, and the more of a life change it will be, and in my opinion why eat so little when you could be eating tons more.