Does this app work

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    app works good...however it seems most dont realize it is an estimate on calories and they eat far to little.....so many people eating less then 1500 calories that have no business going that low. Plus theres a huge number who want to lose weight far to fast.

to me it makes sense to eat as much as possible while losing weight very slow, because you start low you will have no where to go....you will never eat under 1500 calories for the rest of your life, unless your tiny
    there might be a difference between the sexes here.... I agree with you on a certain level, and i also agree with MFP that under 1200 is too low for almost every adult. (but one day under 1200 calories doesn't put one in starvation mode either) I'm not tiny..... 5'8", 140 pounds, 46 yo female, and i typically eat under 1500 calories because i can't exercise vigorously due to an injury. my current "exercise".... walking and yoga, just don't burn that much.
    just my opinion.

under 1500 in my opinion at the height and weight seems to low, perhaps you have a lower metabolism but the vast majority that would be starving...The problem is people start at 1200, 1500 and lose weight uber fast and think thats the best thing in the world...then boom weight loss stops now what? where do you go from here?....ive seen guys who eat under 1500 are you kidding me. Everyone is in a big rush to lose weight so they start off way way to low and losing way way to fast.

Like i said this app works but its like everything if you dont have the knowledge its success will be limited to results or until the crash diet fails. This isnt just a guess ive done it and ive tried it multiple ways....losing weight super fast is a great way to end up skinny and still look fat because you have no muscle because your body ate it in your attempt to undo years of weight gain in months.

everyone can do as they please and i will enjoy my 4000 calorie maintenance ....and i actually do zero cardio aside from walk my 11 year old dog.

My opinion the vast majority WAY under estimate their daily caloric needs

Actually 1500 with her stats seems like an appropriate amount for slow weight loss. If she is unable to exercise or lift, and has low muscle mass and is sedentary as a result, that would reduce the number of calories for her TDEE.

I am 5'7, 131 pounds 44 yo female, and maintain at around 1680 plus exercise calories.

No female is going to maintain or lose at 4000 calories unless an elite athlete working out all day.

when did i say females need to eat 4000..i said i felt her being below 1500 is low, thats my opinion and there are PLENTY of males that eat just as low...that is why i feel it works but it doesnt. Those people will lose weight starving, but will they look better? likely not and will they have luck keeping the weight off? likely not. I could eat 1500 calories for 3 months and likely drop 40lbs....then when i try and stop starving i likely will crash and burn and binge because ive starved.

There are few that can eat that low, for medical or metabolisum issues however there are far to many people doing it and just giving themselves issues.

We as a society think that we should be able to fix years of damage in weeks, days, months......when in reality the slower you lose it the better you will look, and the more of a life change it will be, and in my opinion why eat so little when you could be eating tons more.

at 1200 calories it is possible, with care, to get the macro and micro nutrients required, OP is eating 1500 per day

If at her height, weight and activity level her TDEE is around 1700-1800 - she would be dropping at less than a lb a week at that level

I don't think that's a starving calorie amount to be honest

If you're saying you'd drop 40lbs over 3 months at that level then your rate of loss of over 3.3lbs would put you in a danger zone, even if morbidly obese, and you would be correct that that is too extreme a cut. But your premise that everyone shares your TDEE of 3000-4000 calories per day is remarkably off

Yes it takes time to lose weight you've put on over time
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

That would certainly explain the scourge of emaciation that's sweeping the country.

• Sued0nim
    Options

That would certainly explain the scourge of emaciation that's sweeping the country.

Oh you

:bigsmile:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

<snort> Could you please post a warning next time so I don't choke on my cereal?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    considering that weight management is all about energy balance, not sure why it wouldn't work...providing of course that you are actually being accurate and consistent and putting the work in..in and of itself, the app is just an app.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

/snarfing coffee
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    n
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    68myra wrote: »
    app works good...however it seems most dont realize it is an estimate on calories and they eat far to little.....so many people eating less then 1500 calories that have no business going that low. Plus theres a huge number who want to lose weight far to fast.

to me it makes sense to eat as much as possible while losing weight very slow, because you start low you will have no where to go....you will never eat under 1500 calories for the rest of your life, unless your tiny
    there might be a difference between the sexes here.... I agree with you on a certain level, and i also agree with MFP that under 1200 is too low for almost every adult. (but one day under 1200 calories doesn't put one in starvation mode either) I'm not tiny..... 5'8", 140 pounds, 46 yo female, and i typically eat under 1500 calories because i can't exercise vigorously due to an injury. my current "exercise".... walking and yoga, just don't burn that much.
    just my opinion.

under 1500 in my opinion at the height and weight seems to low, perhaps you have a lower metabolism but the vast majority that would be starving...The problem is people start at 1200, 1500 and lose weight uber fast and think thats the best thing in the world...then boom weight loss stops now what? where do you go from here?....ive seen guys who eat under 1500 are you kidding me. Everyone is in a big rush to lose weight so they start off way way to low and losing way way to fast.

Like i said this app works but its like everything if you dont have the knowledge its success will be limited to results or until the crash diet fails. This isnt just a guess ive done it and ive tried it multiple ways....losing weight super fast is a great way to end up skinny and still look fat because you have no muscle because your body ate it in your attempt to undo years of weight gain in months.

everyone can do as they please and i will enjoy my 4000 calorie maintenance ....and i actually do zero cardio aside from walk my 11 year old dog.

Actually 1500 with her stats seems like an appropriate amount for slow weight loss. If she is unable to exercise or lift, and has low muscle mass and is sedentary as a result, that would reduce the number of calories for her TDEE.

I am 5'7, 131 pounds 44 yo female, and maintain at around 1680 plus exercise calories.

No female is going to maintain or lose at 4000 calories unless an elite athlete working out all day.

when did i say females need to eat 4000..i said i felt her being below 1500 is low, thats my opinion and there are PLENTY of males that eat just as low...that is why i feel it works but it doesnt. Those people will lose weight starving, but will they look better? likely not and will they have luck keeping the weight off? likely not. I could eat 1500 calories for 3 months and likely drop 40lbs....then when i try and stop starving i likely will crash and burn and binge because ive starved.

There are few that can eat that low, for medical or metabolisum issues however there are far to many people doing it and just giving themselves issues.

We as a society think that we should be able to fix years of damage in weeks, days, months......when in reality the slower you lose it the better you will look, and the more of a life change it will be, and in my opinion why eat so little when you could be eating tons more.

at 1200 calories it is possible, with care, to get the macro and micro nutrients required, OP is eating 1500 per day

If at her height, weight and activity level her TDEE is around 1700-1800 - she would be dropping at less than a lb a week at that level

I don't think that's a starving calorie amount to be honest

If you're saying you'd drop 40lbs over 3 months at that level then your rate of loss of over 3.3lbs would put you in a danger zone, even if morbidly obese, and you would be correct that that is too extreme a cut. But your premise that everyone shares your TDEE of 3000-4000 calories per day is remarkably off

Yes it takes time to lose weight you've put on over time

Think you need to reread that post...never once said everyone shares my caloric needs or did i imply it.

I was simply stating many on this app under eat and lose weight far to rapid...the proof is the mass amount of people doing it and posting about it.

I lost 70lbs on here the wrong way once i know what and how that works.

again i stand by the comment i made that the app works very well...but far to many use it the wrong way.
  • savageman69
    Options

Maybe you need to go read that again...where did i include the country?...you think the whole country is on here?...its likely less then 10% of the country is on here.

I SAID and i repeat majority of people on here under eat. We are talking about this app not USA.

The proof is pretty clear when you read hundereds of threads on here asking how to stay at or below 1500...how to
    lose 60lbs in 30 days...how to lose 3+lbs a week.

Everyone wants the quick fix....i say this not to be rude its just the truth, i have spent some time on here and i have lost weight both ways i have a small portion of knowledge on the subject
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You put in the work and you will see dividends. The app helps count. It sure beats the good old days counting calories by hand.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Maybe you need to go read that again...where did i include the country?...you think the whole country is on here?...its likely less then 10% of the country is on here.

I SAID and i repeat majority of people on here under eat. We are talking about this app not USA.

The proof is pretty clear when you read hundereds of threads on here asking how to stay at or below 1500...how to
    lose 60lbs in 30 days...how to lose 3+lbs a week.

Everyone wants the quick fix....i say this not to be rude its just the truth, i have spent some time on here and i have lost weight both ways i have a small portion of knowledge on the subject

I disagree that the majority of people on here undereat and you misunderstood my point in my response to you

It is far more likely that average TDEEs are in the low 2000s than 3000 for women putting 1200-1500 at a normal defecit amount than not

Yes it is important, on a thread by thread basis, to address those who are cutting too much and are incapable of hitting nutritional requirements. However, having reread your comment again you appear to imply that under eating is endemic and insisting 1500 calories as some kind of general lower limit for females not males. I simply disagree with your premise and contention
  • savageman69
    Options
    have to agree to disagree because i dont agree with you either
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The app works just fine. The real question is, do/will you?