Sisterhood of the traveling flabby pants

threadmad
threadmad Posts: 190 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Well, since joining MFP in August, I've lost 25 lbs. I was wearing US size 16 pants and XL tops, and my size 14s had long since traveled out of the closet to make room for my "fluffier" wardrobe. One day hubby laughed when he watched me walking down the stairs, and explained that my caboose was not as flabby, but my pants had become REALLY flabby.

So last weekend I helped my flabby 16s and XLs travel to the donation pile. My size 14s traveled back to my closet. I happily wore my "new" size 14s to work, and a few co-workers commented on how loose my clothes looked since I lost weight. So when I got home, I tried on all the 14s, and there is way too much room in the waist band and caboose. My pants are still flabby!

So I went looking for the size 12s I remember having oh so long ago. None to be found! I wonder if they got tired of waiting for me to lose weight and traveled to thinner pastures?

Either I go shopping, or continue to wear flabby pants. Would rather not spend the $$$ right now as I still have 32 lbs to lose and will probably go down a couple more sizes. I see thrift store excursions in my future.

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member
    I know that feel. I just bought clothes... Nope. Too big again. u___u; Same goes with bras.
  • threadmad
    I guess the moral of the story is - don't wait too long to try on those clothes we expanded out of. :)
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member
    Haha, if only. I haven't been this weight since early high school! Mid 20s now, those clothes got lost in moves.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    The first time I lost weight I made myself wait for new clothes. This time I refuse to wait and will replace things as I need to. Wearing uncomfortable and unflattering clothes didn't help my self esteem at all and honestly I think feeling uncomfortable all the time really lead to my regain. I know that seems silly but honestly it's worth it to feel good in your clothes. I'm keeping it to cheap stuff this time around (most of my clothes are fairly inexpensive options anyhow) and just right now I have two pairs of pants that have started needing to be pulled up all the time. Getting better fitting pants to show off my great booty tomorrow!

Take care and congratulations on shrinking out of your wardrobe!!
  • threadmad
    brb2008 wrote: »
    The first time I lost weight I made myself wait for new clothes. This time I refuse to wait and will replace things as I need to. Wearing uncomfortable and unflattering clothes didn't help my self esteem at all and honestly I think feeling uncomfortable all the time really lead to my regain. I know that seems silly but honestly it's worth it to feel good in your clothes. I'm keeping it to cheap stuff this time around (most of my clothes are fairly inexpensive options anyhow) and just right now I have two pairs of pants that have started needing to be pulled up all the time. Getting better fitting pants to show off my great booty tomorrow!

Take care and congratulations on shrinking out of your wardrobe!!

Thanks! I was kind of enjoying that my clothes were loose, as proof to me that I had lost weight. I didn't think I looked that bad until hubby laughed at my flabby pants. No one at work said anything until I started wearing the smaller pants, so I just figured no one noticed. Turns out they did, but didn't say anything before. When I explained that I apparently shot right past my next size down, we all had a good laugh.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    congrats. Us guys have it easier, a pair of sweats can cover me over the course of about 20lbs one way or the other. Ditto with most my dress pants.
    keep it rolling and try to find bargains....losing weight is an expensive habit
  • threadmad
    congrats. Us guys have it easier, a pair of sweats can cover me over the course of about 20lbs one way or the other. Ditto with most my dress pants.
    keep it rolling and try to find bargains....losing weight is an expensive habit

Yeah, and the difference in grocery bill isn't enough to cover a new wardrobe!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    This just happened to me too. I had a pair of jeans in my closet I couldn't pull but halfway up my thighs, and then all of a sudden I got them on and they were too big! I only have one pair that actually fit me right now. Belts are an absolute necessity until I can go shopping!
  • threadmad
    edited December 2015
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    This just happened to me too. I had a pair of jeans in my closet I couldn't pull but halfway up my thighs, and then all of a sudden I got them on and they were too big! I only have one pair that actually fit me right now. Belts are an absolute necessity until I can go shopping!

Good job in shrinking past the jeans. I have no jeans! Well, one pair of very expensive size 8. The others have traveled to parts unknown. :'(
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    I've lost 115 pounds so far. I've gone from size 24 to 14. I've never been a 14 since I was an adult (Im 52) and I still have 35 pounds to go!

I have gotten tons of really nice clothes at thrift stores. I've completely replaced my wardrobe twice! I give away everything that doesn't fit well, or I don't love.

It's a great way to figure out what styles look and feel good, without wasting too much money. I have been experimenting with stuff I have never dreamed of wearing before.

I've had 2 friends tell my, "I hope you don't mind that I copied your style". That's so much fun for me, cause before my style was "what ever I could find that fit".

When I reach my goal I plan to hit the real stores with abandon!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I kept one pair of my flabbiest flabby pants. I'm well down past them (they were 18's which were snug, I'm now in a size 6/8 with more to lose). I want them for my final "after" shot.

Well done on your flabby pants success.
  • threadmad
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I've lost 115 pounds so far. I've gone from size 24 to 14. I've never been a 14 since I was an adult (Im 52) and I still have 35 pounds to go!

I have gotten tons of really nice clothes at thrift stores. I've completely replaced my wardrobe twice! I give away everything that doesn't fit well, or I don't love.

It's a great way to figure out what styles look and feel good, without wasting too much money. I have been experimenting with stuff I have never dreamed of wearing before.

I've had 2 friends tell my, "I hope you don't mind that I copied your style". That's so much fun for me, cause before my style was "what ever I could find that fit".

When I reach my goal I plan to hit the real stores with abandon!

That's so awesome! Maybe I'll do as well with my thrift store shopping.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    This is why I am glad I can sew. Altering pants to fit in the waist isn't hard at all, but I know not everyone has the time to figure it out, nor may someone want to invest the money into a machine.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I got lucky: my neighbor is losing too, and doing it at a faster clip than me by doing a doctor supervised program. Just when my 12s became like clown pants, she had a stack of 10s to get rid of! I'm ogling her 8s now. I bet she'll need to get rid of them in not too long...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm another who likes the second hand shops for those in between sizes. I don't want to spend money on clothes I hope to wear less than a few months.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    edited December 2015
    My closet if full of $6 pants from Goodwill. And I actually once found a shirt identical to one I have owned for 15 years, in a different color. You'd be surprised what you can find. One of my favorite pairs of pants are from there. I will continue to shop there until I get close to goal. Normal clothing store prices terrify me. lol

10382200.png
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Thank goodness for leggings. They give you a lot of leeway. My XXL ones were looking like elephant skin on me so I bought some inexpensive XL's. I noticed this morning that the Xl's are getting baggy. Think I might go check out the local thrift and see if I can find some smaller "real' pants. :smile:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Started in size 22 pants...now I am an 8 or a 10, depending on the cut/stretch.

This is where TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. come in handy. :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Resale shops will be your friend. I went from a 16 to a 6. And I'm 5'11, so finding clothes that fit right is a struggle. I depended on Old Navy online for most of my "in between" clothes. They have good sales and they have "tall" and "petite" clothes. And best thing? I never had to try a single thing on at a store!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    This is why I am glad I can sew. Altering pants to fit in the waist isn't hard at all, but I know not everyone has the time to figure it out, nor may someone want to invest the money into a machine.

Yes, I'm all for getting favorites/expensive pieces altered. My mom has a sewing machine and I take more difficult jobs to a tailor.
  • zagbee
    zagbee Posts: 40 Member
    I went down a shirt size and a pant size recently and I have found some really great deals from shopping Old Navy online. I hope to lose a couple more sizes so I figure I will go cheap until I hit my goal and then maybe splurge on a couple of nice things in that size!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    I've been enjoying going down in pants sizes. I only had one pair of 38's, and two pairs of 36's. So now that I am back down in 34's, I have a MUCH expanded wardrobe.

I'm wearing one of my 36's today. And they're in danger of slipping off my hips. I really should have worn a belt, but I was too busy this morning to remember, listening to Danny Kaye, and making bacon. xD

But, yeah. I try on clothes at least once a week. I usually find something that fits again. Means I don't need to go out and buy new stuff... xD
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited December 2015
    I went from a 26W pants to size 4 - sales, resale shops & helping friends clean out there closets kept me in clothes while losing. Belts helped too (and I may or may not have taken a stapler to the back of the waistband of a pair of pants in the ladies room at work one day).
  • threadmad
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I went from a 26W pants to size 4 - sales, resale shops & helping friends clean out there closets kept me in clothes while losing. Belts helped too (and I may or may not have taken a stapler to the back of the waistband of a pair of pants in the ladies room at work one day).

Stapler? Wish I'd thought of that!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I absolutely love my pants and mini shorts, but I can't wait for them to get too big! Sadly, my favorite pair of shorts is already too big though... :(
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Congratulations on your progress!

If some of those 12s are nice pants, consider having a couple of pair altered. Usually that's less than buying new and looks better than schlepping about in baggy clothes.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Ditto times a million thrift stores!

I had gotten rid of my size 14 suit jacket because it was too big (I just wear a grey jacket with black pants for interviews) and found a perfect size 10 at the thrift store for 4.50!

• Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Thrift stores are an awesome suggestion....I've gone from a 30 waist to a 42 inch waist over the past few years, and without thrift shops theres no way my budget would have kept up with my expanding waistline! I've also been the beneficiary of a lot of hand me downs of other peoples outgrown clothes.....our workplace tends to promote weight gain, LOL
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    The ladies in the thread will be able to appreciate this. Or maybe not.

Bras.

My bras don't come cheap because I have a small band size and a rather large cup size.

I just, a few months ago, spent $100 on two new bras and they're a bit roomier than they should be already. As it was, I picked those up on sale because I knew it would be an interim size. That's why I only bought two.

I'm going to live with them for a while, though. I still want to lose another 25 pounds. We'll see how long I can hold out before buying new.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i shop almost exclusively at thrift stores