Best Food Swaps

Options
124»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well, there's nothing wrong with chocolate, but there's nothing wrong with raisins, either.

As for food swaps, I traded out plain Greek yogurt for sour cream, and I eventually switched to artificial sweeteners in my drinks to save calories. Took me a whole to get used to it, but I prefer it now.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, helps meet my protein macros and I can't taste a difference.

When I'm in the mood for cookies, I look up a recipe using blanched almond flour and honey instead of flour and sugar for extra nutrients. Different texture, but my family enjoys it all the same.

Light unsweetened almond milk(40 calories) in place of organic 1% milk (which is 110 calories) mixed in with my protein shake.

Turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni instead of regular bacon and pepperoni, less calories.

Hebrew Natuonal reduced fat turkey hot dogs, only 45 calories, instead of regular hotdogs.

Almond oil over canola, Brown rice instead of white.

Those are just a few of the many lower calorie/healthier substitutions I use. I'd love to hear substitutions that other people use.

I use a lot of these subs as well..

My favorite sub is cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes. My kids actually like it better as they have never been fans of mashed potatoes.

Spaghetti squash vs. spaghetti. In our house we usually have a pasta night at least once per weekly rotation so this way, I just make up some squash for me and, we all use the same sauce.

When the family cracks a bag of chips during a movie, I get out my skinny pop and get to enjoy almost 4 cups for 150 calories.

Last make your own pizza night, I used a portabello mushroom cap in place of the greek pita I put out for the rest of the family.

I use these pitas as a bread substitute. 60 calories each. 5g net carbs. I get them at Walmart.

Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am all about healthy substitutions and I bookmarked this thread for further ideas.
    I did not know what shirataki was, so I consulted with professor Google. When this picture popped up I decided to not read any further. I will stick with my whole wheat noodles.
    4ad6ahnn5btx.png
    Obviously it's what they are cooking with the noodles that looks so unappetizing, but being this is the first picture that popped up, I am now scarred for life.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    Plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, helps meet my protein macros and I can't taste a difference.

When I'm in the mood for cookies, I look up a recipe using blanched almond flour and honey instead of flour and sugar for extra nutrients. Different texture, but my family enjoys it all the same.

Light unsweetened almond milk(40 calories) in place of organic 1% milk (which is 110 calories) mixed in with my protein shake.

Turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni instead of regular bacon and pepperoni, less calories.

Hebrew Natuonal reduced fat turkey hot dogs, only 45 calories, instead of regular hotdogs.

Almond oil over canola, Brown rice instead of white.

Those are just a few of the many lower calorie/healthier substitutions I use. I'd love to hear substitutions that other people use.

I use a lot of these subs as well..

My favorite sub is cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes. My kids actually like it better as they have never been fans of mashed potatoes.

Spaghetti squash vs. spaghetti. In our house we usually have a pasta night at least once per weekly rotation so this way, I just make up some squash for me and, we all use the same sauce.

When the family cracks a bag of chips during a movie, I get out my skinny pop and get to enjoy almost 4 cups for 150 calories.

Last make your own pizza night, I used a portabello mushroom cap in place of the greek pita I put out for the rest of the family.

I use these pitas as a bread substitute. 60 calories each. 5g net carbs. I get them at Walmart.

Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread

I just eat bread and lost 50pounds doing so...