Why Can You Eat Fattening Food? What's Your Secret

Options
12346»

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I am now at a place where I don't have to eat all the fries on my plate or the whole bacon cheeseburger. or the whole HUGE bag of M&Ms. Now I can have a snack size and feel satisfied because there is no food that is off limits.

Isn't that all we're all aiming for! To eat *normally* - this is excellent! well done you!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place you are. Sweet breads such as doughnuts and cinnamon rolls are my downfall. If I screw up and eat on I have to have 2-3 more. My safest option is to stay away.

I remember a time when this was the way I'd accurately describe myself & my husband too. Not that it happened often because we just stopped bringing trigger foods into the house. It helped us not go to town on junk food but did nothing for the cravings or weight loss, which should've been my first clue.

It turns out we are both very carb sensitive, I, more so than he. I was insulin resistant and eventually became T2D while eating healthy foods & regularly working out. Again, my clues should've been that I was keeping well within a reasonable caloric goal, lifting weights & had sworn off sodas & fast food for years, also cooking and eating whole foods for at least 2 years before dx.

Since the dx, and controlling my bg's to below 120mg/dl, I don't crave sugary treats anymore. I feel satiated. I eat high fat, low carb. Mostly it means real cream on strawberries for desert, half and half in my coffee, cooking with ghee or real butter, etc.

Once I changed from low fat-fairly high carb to full fat-low carb, I was able to decrease my baseline bg's and the weight just started falling off. So much so that when I started MFP in Jan of this year, I was weighing and logging foods obsessively but still struggling in the weight loss area.

After my diagnosis in April, I wound up not needing to log food. As long as I kept control of my bg's by low carb-high fat food choices, my old food cravings left me for good.

Extreme blood sugar spikes can cause excessive hunger. I was always fighting a food monkey prior to this, metabolic disease is no joke. :ohwell:
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found what works for me is to ask myself a simple question before eating anything: Will this help me achieve my goals?

If the answer is 'no', I don't eat it. There's literally no point in doing so, and it reminds me I'm eating for enjoyment when I could be replacing that with a dozen other healthier things that also give me enjoyment. It also helps remind me to focus on what I *do* need to do to achieve my goals, like eat something with more protein and less sugar instead, or go to the gym after work.

I've started applying the question to other areas of my life too and it's made me a lot happier and more confident in my decisions (I'm one of those people constantly analysing if I'm doing the 'right' thing).