Addicted to oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is actually a great option for people who want to lose weight becaus of its high fiber content. However, it is concerning that you are missing out on vital vitamins and minerals by not having much variety in your diet.
    Maybe make some warm apples with cinnamon, sugar, and a sprinkling of oatmeal to satisfy your oatmeal craving while still getting nutrients from the Apple would be a good replacement from some of the bowls of oatmeal you have everyday.

(Dietetics major)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Are you meeting your goals (protein, fat, calories, etc.)? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with it. If you're not, you might need to revise your recipes to better allow you to meet your goals. For example, if you're low on your protein goal, you could add protein powder to get in more protein.

To be honest, I haven't really ever payed much attention to my macro's. I mainly focus on the calories and eating well for my body. My body has responded really well with the oatmeal and stays full longer. I think I get good protein with the oatmeal, nuts, chai seeds, coacoa powder, peanut butter, and milk. I also get healthy fat from the nuts, peanut butter, chai seeds, and milk.

One cannot live off oatmeal alone....or even mostly alone. Or, can they.....?

I do add a lot of ingredients in my oatmeal, so it's not just oatmeal :D Also I have a balanced dinner with meat, veggies, and a starch.

I really like your oatmeal recipes too. Those sound tasty.

I'm going to try Carol's pumpkin in mine too.

I remember a time when I felt so addicted to this Trader Joe's bran cereal, but I soon tired of it and don't want to see that cereal again. :D

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I prefer a savory oatmeal. On weekends I often do one that is cooked in chicken stock and I add a tsp or so of soy sauce along with some sauteed ginger and jalapeno then add one fried egg and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and sriracha sauce. It's bomb...

Wow!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Cook your oats with coffee and milk, add cocoa powder and sweetener and you got yourself some mocha oats :P
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I say simple is sublime: oats, butter, salt & pepper.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I made oat flour tortillas - just grind up about half a cup of old-fashioned oats to a fine-ish powder and dump it in a bowl. Flavor it up with whatever you like (I actually like to flavor it up before grinding with ground cinnamon, ginger, and other stuff). Then add water a bit at a time, mixing the flour as you do: first with a fork, and then, as it begins to come together, with your free hand. When it forms into a dough, break off pieces, roll them out flat and dry-grill them till they're done. Oh, so easy!
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @jenniator - I tried your chocolate peanut butter oatmeal this morning for breakfast. Looked like chocolate no bake cookies, and tasted awesome. Thanks for posting that recipe.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 120-200 grams of oats a day....I love them!(:

Whooo finally someone that understands me :D Wow you do eat a impressive amount!! I've been eating about 60-90 grams a day:P But then again, Women do have lower calorie intake than men. So I would eat more if I could fit them in my calorie goal xD

(Bulking)

Hehe :)

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I usually like it with whatever fruit I have, some nuts and maybe a little sugar if it needs it. Maybe a boiled egg on the side. It's really filling.

This morning I was craving old fashioned plain cooked with milk oats with a nice big lump of brown sugar and butter. The smell of the butter when it is dropped in after everything else is mixed in....heaven. I had a double serving too. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    tcaley4 wrote: »
    @jenniator - I tried your chocolate peanut butter oatmeal this morning for breakfast. Looked like chocolate no bake cookies, and tasted awesome. Thanks for posting that recipe.

I made the chocolate peanut butter oatmeal yesterday. It was really yummy. :) I needed to add more milk. Next time I will add protein powder as it didn't keep me full for as long as that amount of calories should have.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat oats every day. and this morning i made for the first time zoats...i dont know yet what to think of that...Sure i had a huge bow and still feeling full after hours and hours
    But i dont think i will make that a regular thing

What i do like is quinoa in my oats...it is really nice and my basic recipe is

oats
    quinoa
    flax seeds
    chia seeds
    cinnamon
    stevia

Now from there it can go anywhere with the toppings.
    Syrups, nuts, seeds, fruit, spices you name it just how my mood is for the day.

And sometimes i eat it twice a day...just as a snack.
    I must admit i like a pretty plain instant oats still better than a protein bar something.

95069916.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Several generations of Scots can attest that indeed, you can live off oatmeal. For a grain it's got a decent protein profile.

I agree with the temporary obsession angle. Enjoy it while you can.

Don't be surprised if all of a sudden you get sick of oatmeal. Like maybe in the spring when the Fiddle-heads first make their appearance. That's fine; just switch up your obsession to something else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Several generations of Scots can attest that indeed, you can live off oatmeal. For a grain it's got a decent protein profile.

I agree with the temporary obsession angle. Enjoy it while you can.

Don't be surprised if all of a sudden you get sick of oatmeal. Like maybe in the spring when the Fiddle-heads firt make their appearance. That's fine; just switch up your obsession to something else.

As I hoped, the article referenced Samuel Johnson's famous definition: "a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was happy to read also that breakfast was the big meal of the day, and the one that would be shown off to guests for the abundance and variety. My favourite meals to prepare have always been breakfast. I love making pancakes or french toast for hubby on Saturday mornings.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Whoo I'm I'm so happy you loved it :D it's amazing since it's healthy and low calorie. It taste rich in chocolate and flavor, like it's a lot higher calorie than it is and that you should feel guilty for eating it :) best part is that it's very filling at least I think. I think it taste like a chocolate cake or brownie with peanut butter flavor yum :D I some times eat it without the peanut butter if I want a snack and chocolate. That saves 95 cal and just just as good!
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I made the chocolate peanut butter oatmeal yesterday. It was really yummy. :) I needed to add more milk. Next time I will add protein powder as it didn't keep me full for as long as that amount of calories should have.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :) chocolate whey protein works really well and I tried it. It came out good but with less chocolate flavor and more peanut butter flavor standing out. I prefer the cocoa since it's more chocolately and rich. With the protein powder I didn't need the sugar, just with the cocoa since pure cocoa is rich and super bitter. I found the oatmeal with cocoa and peanut very filling but everyone is different. Oatmeal is great since it's so flexible and you can experiment with different ingredients. If I crave chocolate and don't want to use as many calories, I cut out the peanut butter and that saves 95 cal :) less than 200 cal for a delicious and healthier option.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I can't believe I never thought of putting cocoa or coffee powder in it. Guess what I'm going to do later this week?!? YUMMY!

I travel a lot in the winter, and I actually bring oatmeal and seasonings with me so I can have breakfast in my hotel room (also, I can't see spending $7 for a bowl of oatmeal in a restaurant, that idea just kills me). I usually put cinnamon, half a chopped apple, and a tablespoon of peanut butter in my oatmeal.

A few days ago I made it with turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne and cumin. It was fantastic and I'll be repeating that one. Also, it was a lovely color from the turmeric.

I've also added a poached egg on top of the oatmeal, and mixed it in. It may sound gross, but it was delicious and extremely filling.

As an alternative to oatmeal, sometimes I have grits. I add garlic powder, cheese and hot sauce.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Oh, and last year I made homemade granola, with oats being the main ingredient. I ate it as a snack, and sprinkled on yogurt.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I love oatmeal! I can't believe I never thought of putting cocoa or coffee powder in it. Guess what I'm going to do later this week?!? YUMMY!

I travel a lot in the winter, and I actually bring oatmeal and seasonings with me so I can have breakfast in my hotel room (also, I can't see spending $7 for a bowl of oatmeal in a restaurant, that idea just kills me). I usually put cinnamon, half a chopped apple, and a tablespoon of peanut butter in my oatmeal.

A few days ago I made it with turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne and cumin. It was fantastic and I'll be repeating that one. Also, it was a lovely color from the turmeric.

I've also added a poached egg on top of the oatmeal, and mixed it in. It may sound gross, but it was delicious and extremely filling.

As an alternative to oatmeal, sometimes I have grits. I add garlic powder, cheese and hot sauce.

Okay. I have to try the poached egg. That sounds wonderful.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've eaten oatmeal for so long im tired of it but have found another way to enjoy it and get the nutrition it provides. I grind it to a flour, make a pancake batter with it and whey protein. I make Churro flavored oat flour and whey protein pancakes. Soooo yummy! Just had some. 270 calories, 30 grams protein and a large quantity of pancakes.